Going to NYC

j and r has a nice little camera shop...and they are open on saturday

But would it really be stupid to get a tripod for 120$??

Your camera, tripod, or both?
Oh don't I wish it was both. :lol: My tripod was $200, head was around 65 and the legs were the rest. My camera was $1400 with the lens, plus a lot of extra money on other stuff I've bought for it.

So whats the big difference in a tripod being qualified as "good" and "okay" that makes them cost so much?

Also, is it really worth it to spend alot on a really good tripod vs. a decent one?

It is difficult to quantify but, in my experience, there are really four grades of tripod

1: really crap - it looks like a tripod from a distance

2: way above crap - fairly stable, won't fall apart but won't tolerate much use, any travel is rough and not especially rigid. These are usually with integral head. (Velbon is in this 'I'll use it until I realize I need something better" category) - ~65 or 70

3: decent - well-made, sturdy, pretty flexible and will handle virtually anything you need - up to a point. Bogen-Manfrotto is the leader here - separate legs, head, flexible, multi-grade and lots of options. - anywhere from $125 - $280 gets you a decent legs/head. - where I am now

4: terrific - more expensive than I need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back