Good enough?

The first few times I fell in love with some wedding shots I took and then watched the customer pick out the nastys in the bunch I was shocked. How could they not pick the shots with the best composition? How could they not pick the ones with the best color and lighting?

Same here, they also always seem to pick the ones that need most pp work. I give up

Is perfection attainable? Is working on creating the perfect photograph what the client wants or needs?

I took on a project for an advertising campaign where my job was to get on-the-job portraits of various hospital employees. Mostly the portraits would be used in TV ads, brochures, and websites. When I started out I wasn't using digital, and did most of the photography with a Pentax 67II. The image quality pleased the heck out of me, but the client really wasn't thrilled that it took me a week to get it processed and scanned, and they just didn't need the high quality provided by the 6x7cm film. This project lasted several years (still going on), and the photos I took for them in the last few years were taken with a Canon 20D. No where near the impressive quality of the 67II, but all around faster: no film loading every 10 shots, no extra shots to make sure I got it (without blinks, etc...), and it could be processed and emailed to the art director that afternoon. It was easier for me, easier for the subjects, and easier for the client. If given a choice between time consuming perfection (or at least as close to it as possible), and timely "good enough", the clients were much happier with "good enough".

When shooting weddings I could do a much better job if given a few hours to work with the subjects. But what the B & G usually want is quick and painless wedding day photography, which means I have to move very quickly and take shortcuts to get all of the posed portraits of the B & G, wedding party, family, etc... in an hour of less. I think I do a good job when rushed, but give me more time, and I'd do even better, but would the clients be happier? Some of the people I have to deal with treat being photographed like getting teeth pulled.

In my personal work I often revisit subjects again and again trying to improve upon past efforts. I re-process photographs to apply new techniques I've learned since the last time. I don't see perfection as possible, but I just keep working to do it better as long as I can.

To me the most important thing when photographing for clients is to make them happy/fulfill their needs with what I deliver. If I'm happy too, that's great, but sometimes their happiness/needs don't mesh with my personal preferences as to how I'd like things to be done.

EDIT: Thinking about this a little more...

I actually walk away from a lot of jobs/projects a little depressed because I am concerned that I didn't or wasn't able to do the very best job possible. I dwell upon what I could have done differently (better). I worry about if I missed opportunities that I should have taken. I wonder if I shouldn't have been more assertive, and demanded to do it my way. I obsess over every mistake I notice. And then I get a call from the client saying they love it. So I let it go, and just always try to do the best I can in the circumstances I am given next time.

Someday it would be wonderful if people came to me and said, "You're the boss. We will do everything the way you say to do it." But more often than not, it's "This is what we need done, and here are the restrictions you'll be working under."

from a business aspect I would say the customer being pleased is in fact all that matters, but on a deeper level I hope all photographers strive to produce the best work they can realistically produce. If you half-heart (or other part of the body) your work as a way of making the same money for less work... well I hope as an artist you have trouble sleeping knowing that you settled for less.

Most reactions

Back