Good tripod?

allendehl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi friends,

I'm thinking in buying a tripod. I've read here and a GOOD tripod is strongly recommended. It looks like some of them could be a really pain.

Can somebody tell me which are the good ones? Actual models or features to look for are appreciated. If you can also tell me the best store to go for it...better. I leave north of miami, fl.

Thanks.

PD: I have a Canon Rebel XS

Hmm, I have not purchased a tripod in a while ... but my last one was a Manfrotto 055 (I think) legs with a three way head.
I will be looking into getting a new tripod and will probably get a ball head.

Do not get a cheap one ... do not get ultra compact or ultra light, as you sacrifice stability.

My Manfrotto w/ head weighed a ton ... but was effective.

I think I will buy a Benro (I think they are Gitzo copy).

This has been covered in excruciating detail all over the forum....

Manfrotto is a popular brand, really IMO the best tripods in the price range they cover, and perfectly usable. It only goes up from there, but I wouldn't use a brand cheaper than that.

I'll second the Manfrotto tripods.

Try B&H--> manfretto | B&H Photo Video

I've only had good luck with them, and good customer service.

There are two basic types of tripods I had to decide between... ball head and a tilt/pan setup. If you think you'll be tracking things as they move... like animals, cars, maybe sports... the tilt/pan is probably easier. I have a ball head, and I really like it... the only advantage over tilt/pan is also its disadvantage... whenever you loosen it, your camera will freely move in any direction.... this is good and bad, depending on your situation.

Erik

There are two basic types of tripods I had to decide between... ball head and a tilt/pan setup. If you think you'll be tracking things as they move... like animals, cars, maybe sports... the tilt/pan is probably easier. I have a ball head, and I really like it... the only advantage over tilt/pan is also its disadvantage... whenever you loosen it, your camera will freely move in any direction.... this is good and bad, depending on your situation.

That's the head, not the tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back