Has anyone ever photographed the INSIDE of a plane?

DigiJay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.naturalstudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been tasked with photographing the inside of a plane later this week, and it's something I've never done before.

I know it's a small bush plane (6 passenger I think?), but I don't know what the lighting will be like, nor the amount of space I will have to work with.

I'm bringing an 18-55 2.8, I'll probably grab a wider angle lens to bring with me, maybe even a fish eye.

As for lighting, I'm hoping to get away with natural light since I would imagine they will want the gauges illuminated.

If anyone has some tips/ tricks for shooting in a small space like this, then I would love to hear it.

Jay

One thing to consider will be the exposure ratio between the interior and what can be seen out the windows. They may want the shots to show something outside the plane,but maybe not...be sure to ask.

To expose for both, you could balance the exposures, likely needing flash or something to light up the interior, but you could also use two separate exposures and combine them. This might require using a tripod or something to ensure a stationary camera, but that might be tough inside a small plane.

Either way, make sure to ask them what they want, so you can work toward that.

I agree with Mike and Sam. A gorillapod might be handy here too, hard to say though, and that would depend on your equipment weight. They do make them for DSLR.

you're going to need something a lot wider than 18mm. you'll likely want a 12mm or 10mm lens on a crop body.

Has anyone ever photographed the INSIDE of a plane?

yes. a B25 Mitchell, in 1999. i used a 24mm lens, 400 speed film and a tripod (tripod in the back, handheld in the cockpit.) gloomy in the main fuselage, bright as day, in the cockpit..lots of windows. overcast day with even lighting.

If its a 6 seat plane, your talking about 4' wide, about 42" tall inside maybe a little bit more in height, and about 10' from panel to back of cabin (baggage space behind last row of seats. Widest lens you have.
Unless its a very old plane, it should have lots of light in from the windows. So daytime lighting should not be too much a pain. If not maybe too much light.

Are you shooting the plane while on earth...or in flight.
I saw some shots of a person who shot the plane from inside while in flight, showing the wings, ect... very cool photos. I remember reading the takes were not easy.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back