HELP! New D50 isn't acting right....

Ryan
I really hope you get this sorted. It may be that the lens is indeed broken and as Dewey says probably best to take it somewhere and try it on another camera or use a different lens on yours to compare.

I was just trying to make sure to save you the bother....... I must admit that the video did look a little odd right enough and as noted above mine would focus it infinity and back when struggling to focus in poor light.

Again, hope it's all sorted soon.

Regards
Jim

If it hunts at 55mm, does it hunt at, say, 50mm or thereabouts? In other words does it focus normally at every point in the zoom range except the long end of the range? If so, then it is a problem with the lens, not the camera. It is a very, very cheap lens with the elements mounted in plastic. An option might be to go to the camera store and mount a better lens on it and test focus. A 17-55 f2.8, as an example, will focus everywhere, at every zoom setting nearly instantaneously indoors, even in dim light.

If it hunts at 55mm, does it hunt at, say, 50mm or thereabouts? In other words does it focus normally at every point in the zoom range except the long end of the range? If so, then it is a problem with the lens, not the camera. It is a very, very cheap lens with the elements mounted in plastic. An option might be to go to the camera store and mount a better lens on it and test focus. A 17-55 f2.8, as an example, will focus everywhere, at every zoom setting nearly instantaneously indoors, even in dim light.

Yes it hunts at all focal lengths.

Thanks for all the advice guys...

I am going to go to Ritz Today, pretend I am interested in buying one of their lenses, and put another lens on and tell them the problem.

Once I pinpoint the problem, lens or camera, Ill call Adorama and get the details for a return!

And the answer is...

It's the lens.

I took it all into Ritz today, ever lens we tried worked great, and when we put that lens on a new D40 it did the same thing... wouldnt focus at 55 on anything!

And the answer is...

It's the lens.

I took it all into Ritz today, ever lens we tried worked great, and when we put that lens on a new D40 it did the same thing... wouldnt focus at 55 on anything!

No surprise. Glad you found the problem.

Thanks. Adorama was useless, no contact, so I am going to have to ship it directly to Nikon and let them handle it. They might be faster than Adorama anyway, they promise 7-10 days turn around!

:(

Glad you know what it is then. :)

Thanks. Adorama was useless, no contact, so I am going to have to ship it directly to Nikon and let them handle it. They might be faster than Adorama anyway, they promise 7-10 days turn around!

:(

adorama (and bhphoto) are closed until the 11th, so you wont get contact with them until that time. Really, this is just a terrible coincidence for you, this problem at this time.

Glad to know it isn't the body and that you got it figured out.

I've decided to send it to Nikon directly. I could've waited 2 days to contact Adorama, get the contact information from them, and then send it to them and wait for them to send a replacement... which may be broken too (I have the worst luck!)

Nikon promises a 7 to 10 day turnaround. I sent it overnight today, be there tomorrow, so at the LATEST I'll have it is April 20th (maybe a few days later because shipping, etc).

Now I get to test the quality and ease of Nikon's warranty center... should be interesting!

Anyone else have Nortel warranty stories, good or bad, they want to share? I've got to do something as I stare at my now usless piece of plastic also known as a D50!

I've decided to send it to Nikon directly. I could've waited 2 days to contact Adorama, get the contact information from them, and then send it to them and wait for them to send a replacement... which may be broken too (I have the worst luck!)

Nikon promises a 7 to 10 day turnaround. I sent it overnight today, be there tomorrow, so at the LATEST I'll have it is April 20th (maybe a few days later because shipping, etc).

Now I get to test the quality and ease of Nikon's warranty center... should be interesting!

Anyone else have Nortel warranty stories, good or bad, they want to share? I've got to do something as I stare at my now usless piece of plastic also known as a D50!

Paper Weight! Go rent a lens :thumbup:

Hi,

I had some problem with my Canon 300D, I was referred to a great tech support site and I found great solutions with step by step information. I am sure you can find some information!

Here is the page for the Nikon D50 support

Let me know if it helped

Jogy

WOw actually they did have a solution, forcing the manual focus ring while in autofocus, to "reset" the motor.

I didn't try that, and I probably would'nt regardless, I wouldn't want to break anything!

Got it in and it's working FINE!

Check out my new shots at my flickr below.

here are a few samples:

466620723_82de6a85f3.jpg

466620861_872333c085.jpg

466613092_a7a889f690.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back