how did i let you guys talk me into pulling the raws

Geez...and Chernobyl thought they had a melt down. I'd try decafe tomorrow morning.

...just remember that EVERY time you do anything to a jpeg it degrades. That means resizing etc ANYTHING!

Aside from automated conversion, which is the first thing I thought about when I read your post, the other issue is whether you have that many shots that really are worth working on. Not criticizing your work, I just don't think anyone does. Whether darkroom or digital, no one spends time on most of the images they shoot. Some of the best photographers I've known spent time on only a few percent of what they shot. The one exception is something like a wedding, but for that you really would need LR.

...just remember that EVERY time you do anything to a jpeg it degrades. That means resizing etc ANYTHING!

That's misleading. Look here:

JPEG File Format Myths and Facts

I was apparently unclear in not explicitly excluding opening and closing, to me those are not 'operations' if an edit is involved then the problem comes in re; my listing resizing etc.
To use your own source:
JPEGs lose quality every time they are opened, edited and saved.
True. If a JPEG image is opened, edited, and saved again it results in additional image degradation. It is very important to minimize the number of editing sessions between the initial and final version of a JPEG image. If you must perform editing functions in several sessions or in several different programs, you should use an image format that is not lossy (TIFF, BMP, PNG) for the intermediate editing sessions before saving the final version. Repeated saving within the same editing session won't introduce additional damage. It is only when the image is closed, re-opened, edited and saved again."

I don't get it. Processing raw files takes no more time that processing jpegs for me. Are you using LR? I shoot RAW only and have ~15k images from 2014 and almost all are processed

Keep in mind that most people you find talking about photography on the internet are fond of cameras, gear, processes, software, and all the associated gadgetry. The pictures are secondary.

This is normal and natural and i have no problem with it.

But it does color the discussion.

bribrius you sound just like my Dad did the other day when he asked me to take some photos of a sword for him. He complained for about 45 minutes about why anyone would do something so stupid as to take pictures in a RAW format when the computer can't read them without special SW then you have edit them to actually be able to use them, blah, blah, blah.

I think it's all a matter of preference. If you prefer to have a "usable" file SOOC then use JPEG, if you like to spend time editing then use RAW. Use what works for you, not what works for someone else. As for me, I'll be sure to remember to change my camera settings to JPEG next time I help my Dad so I don't have ro listen to him again.

RAW is merely another tool to squeeze out the last bit of goodness ... usually from a less-than-perfectly exposed image. (especially wb)

I shoot RAW because I also shoot manual with spot metering and sometimes/often I misjudge my eye/meter. RAW helps me recover those misjudgements. If there is no difference between your JPEG keeper rate and your RAW keeper rate ... then there probably isn't much reason to shoot RAW.

I preview/rate everything in Aperture and then pull out the better from the garbage. Next I individually perform global manipulations on each image and further discard more crap from the better. Then, in Aperture, I batch convert my keepers from RAW to JPEG. Next I polish the images in PhotoShop performing area specific manipulations (dodging and burn), B&W conversions and cropping. Fini.

WHAT image is so important to have and not important enough to edit properly?

Seriously, why are you having to edit hundreds of frames? Wedding?

In a portrait session I will shoot 200-600 frames...I only edit 3-10 of them.
On a vacation I'll shoot the same, edit a few more perhaps.

Who wants to look at 600 frames of the same things?

Honest, I won't shoot jpg. What reason is there to pick up my camera if I don't give it my 100%.....that's what my cell phone is for!

Most reactions

Back