How to use Non-CPU lens on Nikon D5200?

mdmosta319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy old lens for my Nikon D5200. Lenses with no Exposure metering or Autofocus.

My question is How to use those lenses and capture well exposed photos without metering?

Will Liveview show exact exposure?

N.B. I am newbie.

You will get range finding for focus (your focus indicator light will work). The lens must be a f/5.6 of faster to get the range finder to work. So to focus set to largest aperture. Then stop down to take the picture. You will not get metering. So you can go by rules of thumb like sunny 16 and see what you get on your monitor. And then make adjustments. Or get an inexpensive used light meter.

Make sure you get AI or lens modified to AI or newer.

Metering will work fine. AF not so much. Use either manual exposure or aperture priority. You will enjoy the build quality of the older manual lenses when compared to the plastic junk they produce today.

It's true. My Canon FD lenses are all metal.
Feel tough. I plan to adapt the 50mm to EF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

See page 201 of the D5200 Reference Manual.

. . . the camera metering system, i-TTL flash control, and other features
requiring a CPU lens can not be used.

See page 201 of the D5200 Reference Manual.

. . . the camera metering system, i-TTL flash control, and other features
requiring a CPU lens can not be used.

That is bizarre. One would assume you could use aperture priority or manual metering. I suppose it has to do with those G lenses. They were one of the motivations for me to leave the Nikon system.

Since the non-CPU lenses don't have electronics in them, the camera doesn't know what the aperture is, nor control it. On the upper Nikon bodies, like the D750, you can enter these lenses into the camera's memory/menu by entering the focal length and the maximum aperture.

My D40 would not meter with my AI-S 105mm. On the D750, I have no problem with this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back