I am afraid to show these.........

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by oldnavy170, Jun 11, 2007.

1. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I feel these are my best yet but I still wanted to share............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why are you afraid to show these?? They are beautiful! Very nice use of golden light in #1. The eyes are super sharp and piercing. Wonderful sharpness, focus, and color. The second one is not quite as sharp in the eyes, but still great overall. To me, its best to show the color of those fantastic eyes. I think these qualify as a 3/4 portrait, which I love.

Well done! :thumbup:

NJ

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Generally speaking I don't like extreme close up portraits but these are nice for what they are.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have improved on the colour but work is still required either before shooting or in postprocessing. Why did you not consider a vertical rather than a horizontal shot? The hat is washed out where the sun hits it, so changing angle slightly when shooting or correcting the wash out in post processing is necessary. The eyes have too much red in them including veins. This can be corrected with eye drops before shooting or in post processing too. The eye lashes and eye brows can be sharpened to match the sharpness of the eyes through Photoshop. The hair needs some combing or brushing before the shot or some touch up in postprocessing. The freckles need to be softened a little and that can be done before the shot with a little make-up or after the shot with postprocessing. (Notice. I said softened, not eliminated.)

Considering the work involved, I am impressed that you are even taking on the challenge of shooting portraiture and you certainly are demonstrating some talent. Now what you need is the trained "eye" and attention to detail.:wink:

skieur

5. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

cute... and please keep those strawberry-shortcake freckles!! they are gorgeous x

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use eye-drops on one's own daughter's eyes for a girl's portrait before shooting only to get the eyes whiter?!?!? :shock:
    The thought would NEVER occur to me!

Use make-up on a ... let me guess :scratch: 10 or 11-year-old girl's face to soften what lovely freckles she was given by nature? :shock:

Either I'm doing everything all wrong in those rare moments that I decide I want to try out my portrait-taking on my own daughter, or ...

7. Rusty_Tripod

Rusty_Tripod TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are nicely done. I do think that drawing back to eliminate the "in your face" capture would enhance their quality greatly.

Rusty Tripod

8. dgs

dgs TPF Noob!

*chuckle* yeah, me too, LaFoto

Nice work, Navy

9. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Excellent.....lighting is right on!

10. stellar_gal

stellar_gal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good work. She has very engaging eyes!

11. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that the eyes are awesome. I love the photo... Very engaging...

12. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There is a product called Visine which is widely used to get the red out. For serious portraits, it is worth using. For others, postprocessing is just as easy.

As to make-up, even Arnold Schwarzenheger and other men use it on camera and for serious portraits it is also part of the tools of photographers who are not skilled in postprocessing. Again I prefer postprocessing.

As to whether you are doing it all wrong...It depends on what you are doing. When I am taking photos of my daugther or son and it was what they are doing that is important, then little or no postprocessing is required. If on the other hand, I am doing a portrait....close like these, then the objective is to be flattering as well as natural,...but both can be accomplished with both preparation and good camera work, as well as postprocessing.

Any subject likes to remember a portrait for how good he or she looked in it, definitely not for that "natural" zit, red eyes from allergies, or other minor blemishes no matter how real they may be.

skieur