I am getting sick and tired of repairing Nikon D80's

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is starting to REALLY get annoying.

I had to send the first D80 back to the place I bought it two different times before I got one without a defect. The first time, it was a blop of crud on the sensor. The second time, there were little bits of crud rolling around inside the pentaprizm (or whatever that is called on a D80)... shavings of some kind rolling on the top of the focusing screen. The third one I got (knock on wood) has worked fine since.

I bought a D80 for my wife, and after the first time we cranked it up to a high ISO, a green pixel started glowing. It continued to glow at any ISO setting. Sigh. Since it was past the two weeks that I could send it back to the place I bought it, I sent it in to Nikon. After stumbling around (and sending me a $150 bill for a warranty repair... long story) I got it back, this time working properly. We went out shooting this weekend and when I started looking at the pictures I found ANOTHER stuck pixel has developed.

fortunately, it is near the edge (since we are planning a weekend of shooting) and the noise canceling works well enough to knock it out in the sky pictures... but after this weekend of shooting I am going to have to send it back in AGAIN.

Really, I don't ask much from a DSLR... I just think it's fair to not expect to see growing globs in my pictures...

When I ship this one off, I will have spent over $100 just in shipping fees for repairs for two brand new cameras in the last three months.

Please take this into consideration if you are planning on buying a D80.

I was using my aunts D80 this past weekend, (I have a D50 and was getting slightly jealous of the more advanced features... its a shame she leaves it in Auto! :er: ) and I was noticing that when you turned it on and took a couple of images, flipping the switch to off did not turn the camera off... it would stay on and you would still be able to focus and take images. Turning it back on and back off again seemed to do nothing, the only way I could figure out how to turn it off was to turn it on, wait about 10 seconds, and then turn it off again. Only after you waited would it actually turn off. Was there something wrong with the camera or was it some feature I was just not familiar with?

Maybe the D80's were produced to poorer standards than the other Nikon cameras, or maybe these are just isolated incidents. I have had no problems with my D50 since I got it in late November.

I have yet to have a problem with my D70s. I have a dead pixel, it's red BUT IT'S ONLY ONE, no big deal, clone it out.

There are no perfect machines. I would ask to have them simply replace the one I have with a new one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back