I havd D50, Which Flash And Lense Would You recomend For Portraits

nik555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have Nikon D50, Which Flash And Lense Would You Recommend For Portraits?
thanks.

The SB600 hands down. I had one with my D50 and, it worked great.

The SB-600 and the 50mm F1.8.

That is a tricky question on the glass. What are you going to be doing most of the time? What is your budget like? With out any background info it is hard to determine what lens would best fit you. The only lens that I can suggest with out any info is the nikon 50mm f1.8 prime lens, that is a must for anyone. It inexspensive and it have great optics and is fast.

I'm gonna take portraits at home and outside.
I looked 50mm f1.8 at d and h, is this the one that cost $109?
The guys have recomended sb-600 flash, do you think i should buy a diffuser for it?

That is a tricky question on the glass. What are you going to be doing most of the time? What is your budget like? With out any background info it is hard to determine what lens would best fit you. The only lens that I can suggest with out any info is the nikon 50mm f1.8 prime lens, that is a must for anyone. It inexspensive and it have great optics and is fast.

Absolutely an SB/SU-800 and an SB-600 and stick with your kit lens.

Once that flash is off camera you can do anything.

Absolutely an SB/SU-800 and an SB-600 and stick with your kit lens.

Once that flash is off camera you can do anything.

did you mean once that flash is ON camera?

I don't think the "nifty fifty" is good for portraits with the D50 because of the crop factor.. I've not had good luck with it in my house. I'd go with a fast 55-200 because it will give you more functionality. I have a 55-200, and I really enjoy shooting with it.

The flash that's built in on the camera is direct and harsh which makes for unflattering light and harsh shadows. A SB600 or SB800 would be a good flash because you can diffuse and bounce the light to achieve softer and more effective lighting.

As for lens, even if you don't use it for portraits the 50mm f/1.8 is a good lens. It's a very versatile lens for portraits and low light photography. You may also want to look into the 85mm f/1.8 which is a good portrait lens, probably one of the best for its price.

you can use the flashes wirelessly and put them in different locations.

I dont think the D50 can do wireless if I remember right. I havent used one in so long though that Im unsure.

I dont think the D50 can do wireless if I remember right. I havent used one in so long though that Im unsure.

You're right.. You need the SB-800 to fire the SB-600 off-camera..

Most reactions

Back