I have my Nikon 50mm f/1.8, now what?

Alerick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been using my lense for about two years, on both a Nikon 35mm and a D50, and have always enjoyed the images that it produces. Now that I am out of college I would like to invest more into my equipment. What lenses are great/reasonably affordable? What am I looking for when I read out the label of a lense. I know the focal lenght and f/ but do I want Internal Focus? ED? Is it wise to find older manual focus lenses. I need help choosing the correct lenses to buy so I don't spend alot of money on a lense that I will barely use or want to use.:x:confused:

without knowing what you want to shoot, or what you do shoot, along with a budget, no one here can give any kind of accurate feedback.

According to Ken Rockwell all you need is a D40 and an 18-200mm VR :D

Edit: And don't forget the SB400 flash!

Everyone always asks what I want to shoot. I usually just take my camera with me when I go places and when I see something or find a creative perspective I shoot it. I recently bought a Mamiya M645 and plan to get a wide angle to do architecture and possibly some long exposure shots but other than that I would like to shoot a little of everything.

To Me: Doesn't it somewhat suppress the creativity if we deliniate certian lenses for certain shots? I understand that some lenses do not have capabilities in certain lighting situations but isn't there such thing as a generally "good" lense package to start.

On budget: I don't mind spending 700 to 1,000 on a lense. If I am able to sell any of my work; that price amount would definitely go up.

My field is Industrial Design, so I should probably look at lenses that will help me out there. I noticed that the 50mm in the lightroom was very limited when shooting products.

We ask because (for example) if I like the 35mm f/1.8 and you ask what lens you should get, I'll recommend it.

However if you shoot mostly wildlife, birds, etc... you'll hate it unless you hold the secret to invisibility and can get within 10 feet.

Or the opposite... if I love my 600 VR and recommend it not knowing you shoot mostly landscape shots you're going to be rather disappointed.

A little background goes a long way... if you need versatility you're either going to need a versatile lens or a handful of lenses - which would you prefer? An all in one lens that does everything 'good' or a handful of lenses that will do everything 'great'?

If you want an all in one then my above Ken Rockwell comment was about as dead on as it gets for an all in one lens, although I just purchased the Sigma 18-250 myself.

Last edited:
Greatness is the only way BABY!:lol:

I would really like to see a list of lenses that people have really enjoyed using and when they use them.

What is a good size for a wide angle?
Should I go telephoto, with or without zoom?
If Zoom, than what range is excellent, can lense that zoom further affect quality?

If I don't mind lugging 3, 4, or 5 lenses with me; what lens should I NOT go without?

If I go hiking; I will want to capture landscapes, wildlife, small details (mushrooms, bark, bugs). What lenses are great for the outdoors?

If I go to New Orleans and decide to shoot photojournalism style. what lense will help me? What macro should I get a great forced perspective?

What lenses do you take to weddings and other events?

If I am doing a photoshoot with a band?

I guess I just want to see all different types of lenses and what they are great at so that I can make the decisions on which ones to get. I won't be buying them all at once. I will more likely buy one. Play with it for a month or three and then buy another one.
Right now I just feel superconfused because I see a bunch of lenses and no direction or understanding about which to consider.

Well I heard that Scott kelby loves his 70-200 f2.8 he says he uses it for portraits. But I wouldn't know b/c that's out of my price range. But I use a 55-200 alot and I shoot a lot of sports and landscape.

I would really like to see a list of lenses that people have really enjoyed using and when they use them.

What is a good size for a wide angle?
Should I go telephoto, with or without zoom?
If Zoom, than what range is excellent, can lense that zoom further affect quality?

If I don't mind lugging 3, 4, or 5 lenses with me; what lens should I NOT go without?

If I go hiking; I will want to capture landscapes, wildlife, small details (mushrooms, bark, bugs). What lenses are great for the outdoors?

If I go to New Orleans and decide to shoot photojournalism style. what lense will help me? What macro should I get a great forced perspective?

What lenses do you take to weddings and other events?

If I am doing a photoshoot with a band?

I guess I just want to see all different types of lenses and what they are great at so that I can make the decisions on which ones to get. I won't be buying them all at once. I will more likely buy one. Play with it for a month or three and then buy another one.
Right now I just feel superconfused because I see a bunch of lenses and no direction or understanding about which to consider.

Like several people you have a wide interest in photography. You can get a single jack of all trades type lens that covers all of that (18-270). But it will be slower and will have some quality issues in final product. They are not horrable, just not as good. You might start with a 24-70 f/2.8 or something fast around that range. Thats in your current budget range (Sigma and other third party) and will give you more lattitude than the straight 50 will. If you are willing to spend the money and plan on expanding in the future. Buy the fast glass now. Don't get slow lenses and then have to upgrade in the near future.

I have a wide variety of interests also. I can pretty much say that I had a purpose in mind with each lens purchased. I won't say they're all top shelf, but they're all pretty damn good. For instance, I have the 85mm f/1.8 instead of the Cream Machine f/1.4. So querying you about what you intend to be shooting is a valid request because it will draw a different response as NOYZE pointed out.

Clear you credit card balances NOW buddy boy....... it's gonna be a bumpy ride. :lol:

I don't say this to brag at all.... in fact, I hear the first step to acknowledging there is a problem is to publically announce it. HELLO, MY NAME IS kundalini AND I AM A LENS WHORE.

It embasrasses me to admit, but in two years I have spent in excess of $13,000USD on lenses.... add another $300-400 for filters.... and I ain't done yet. However, it is a rather versatile lens collection. And to quelch any questions, YES, I do still use them all, some more than others. TBH, I guess there's two that I really don't use.... the first two.

It embasrasses me to admit, but in two years I have spent in excess of $13,000USD on lenses....

You need help.

Like, seriously, you won't ever see me spending more than $20 on a good day for a lens. PFFT! :lmao:

To the OP:
Kidding aside, I've said this many times before... if YOU do not know what you want, it's not time to spend a dime on anything. Define your needs, and decide what you want to accomplish. Once that is done, deciding what lens or camera or accessories you need becomes quite easy.

The issue with that is that this takes work. No one can help you make the decisions for you... nor should you leave that decision in the hands of someone else... that is a recepie to unhappiness and massive buyer's regret.

Now, if you've decided on a range or kind of lens (for example), you are no further away than a 15-30 minute google for lens reviews and best price searches.

Walk in the park!

Last edited:
I have a wide variety of interests also. I can pretty much say that I had a purpose in mind with each lens purchased. I won't say they're all top shelf, but they're all pretty damn good. For instance, I have the 85mm f/1.8 instead of the Cream Machine f/1.4. So querying you about what you intend to be shooting is a valid request because it will draw a different response as NOYZE pointed out.

Clear you credit card balances NOW buddy boy....... it's gonna be a bumpy ride. :lol:

I don't say this to brag at all.... in fact, I hear the first step to acknowledging there is a problem is to publically announce it. HELLO, MY NAME IS kundalini AND I AM A LENS WHORE.

It embasrasses me to admit, but in two years I have spent in excess of $13,000USD on lenses.... add another $300-400 for filters.... and I ain't done yet. However, it is a rather versatile lens collection. And to quelch any questions, YES, I do still use them all, some more than others. TBH, I guess there's two that I really don't use.... the first two.

First off. I wish I had $13,000 to get some really good glass right now... The last investment deal I wrote went to my honeymoon.... AH good times. :)
Anywho My ideal lens set "for now" Would be to own the following
1. 50mm f/1.8
2. 70-200 f/2.8
3. 300-500 f/3-5 (IDK which lens)
4. 28 f/1.8
5. 11-16 f/2.8

For me that would be ideal.... For you... who knows. :)
a 70-200 f/2.8 would be a good place to start.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

Anywho My ideal lens set "for now" Would be to own the following
1. 50mm f/1.8 - Yep
2. 70-200 f/2.8 - Yep
3. 300-500 f/3-5 (IDK which lens) - that's why I got the 1.7TC
4. 28 f/1.8 - 20mm f/2.8 for me
5. 11-16 f/2.8(Tokina ??) - 12-24mm f/4 for me

a 70-200 f/2.8 would be a good place to start. Yep

for a lot of things the nikon 18-200mm VR is an amazing lens. I picked it up for my trip to japan as i needed something that could handle all kinds of distances, and could shoot half decent in lower light (goodbye kit lenses).

it did a superb job for what i needed.

i wouldn't want to shoot a wedding with it, but i was able to turn up the ISO for those low light areas in my shots.

give us a budget at elast to work with and people can help you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back