In gear recommendation threads...

there are clear differences especially in the quality of fit & finish between YN and "name-brand" gear
I'm interested. Please support that claim. I've seen these kinds of claims before, but have yet to see them actually quantified objectively, and I've asked.
Knowing full well that I will likely regret this... Using the TTL cables as one example: each end (the "male" end which attaches to the camera, and the female end which attaches to the flash) are small plastic cubes about 3/4" square (approximately). : On the genuine Nikon SC-29, the two injection molded halves which make up each cube fit very tightly, and flush. On the YN version, there's a gap, not huge but enough to catch a fingernail. On the Nikon cable, the male end is secured to the hot shoe with Nikon's standard "lever" lock; on the YN, it's a cheap thread plastic collar which clamps down on the top of the hot shoe. On the YN triggers I saw a fellow using recently (sorry, not sure of the model, new style, TTL-capable) the indicator LEDs were not quite aligned with the trigger body (as if an internal module was just a hair out of alignment). Of the two YN TTL cords I bought recently one works flawlessly, the other only about 60% of the time.

Ok I will start.I once drunk a whole bottle of tequila and threw up.I highly recommend against this.:sour: Choose a different bottle. thanks

there are clear differences especially in the quality of fit & finish between YN and "name-brand" gear
I'm interested. Please support that claim. I've seen these kinds of claims before, but have yet to see them actually quantified objectively, and I've asked.
Knowing full well that I will likely regret this... Using the TTL cables as one example: each end (the "male" end which attaches to the camera, and the female end which attaches to the flash) are small plastic cubes about 3/4" square (approximately). : On the genuine Nikon SC-29, the two injection molded halves which make up each cube fit very tightly, and flush. On the YN version, there's a gap, not huge but enough to catch a fingernail. On the Nikon cable, the male end is secured to the hot shoe with Nikon's standard "lever" lock; on the YN, it's a cheap thread plastic collar which clamps down on the top of the hot shoe. On the YN triggers I saw a fellow using recently (sorry, not sure of the model, new style, TTL-capable) the indicator LEDs were not quite aligned with the trigger body (as if an internal module was just a hair out of alignment). Of the two YN TTL cords I bought recently one works flawlessly, the other only about 60% of the time.
I appreciate the info. All my Nikons are older film cameras that rarely get any use these days, so I have no experience with modern Nikon TTL cables and associated gear, Nikon, YN, or any other. That might very well be relevant information to Nikon shooters though.

Speaking only from the hands-on comparisons I personally made with the Canon side of the "fit and finish" type questions, I found no similar issues. I do use pc cables to make connections in certain situations, as well as power packs, and the cables for them connect right and tight, no issues at all. Nothing about the plastic strength or thickness of the housings, battery doors, hinges, latches or anything like that stood out as inferior or weaker in any way between the Canon and YN units.

Again, that's just my experience comparing with the Canon gear I use(d).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back