Is it the Arperture.. ?

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is it the aperture....? i took better outside pics then these with my point and shoot camera.. what setting for outside snow -cloudy day should i be.. i am definitly missing something....maybe everything?
outsideagain004.jpg

Last edited:
File Name: outsideagain004.jpg (rename) .jpgok cancel

File Size: 102 kb - 799 x 681
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D5000
Date/Time: 2009:01:13 20:47:12
Resolution: 799 x 681
Flash Used: No (auto)
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm...
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
Aperture: f/10.0
ISO Equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Manual
help me...because i am not able to improve on my own...thanks would it help if i had ISO at 400?

Have you gone into your menu's and optimized your jpeg settings so you will get photos like you are expecting from your camera?

Snow required a bit of positive exposure adjusment.
Your camera wants to make everything gray...whites need positive exposure compensation....darks need negative exposure compensation.
Also cloudy days tend to turn light blue, so may need to warm the color up a bit (redder).

Aperture affects your depth of field...how much is in focus. Also affects how much light you are letting in how fast, so affects your shutter speed.
Big aperture F2.8 = lots of light fast so fast shutter speeds skinny depth of field. Small aperture F14 = lets in light slower slower slow shutter speeds wide depth of field.

I am at work so I cannot see your pictures.

ISO affects your shutter speed along with your f-stop.
Depending on your camera you may be able to go up to 400 or 800 without adding to much noise.
F10 is to high, change your f-stop to one or two stops higher than the lowest your lens will go, probably around f5.6, try iso 800.
Put your camera on cloudy white balance.

Have you gone into your menu's and optimized your jpeg settings so you will get photos like you are expecting from your camera?

Snow required a bit of positive exposure adjusment.
Your camera wants to make everything gray...whites need positive exposure compensation....darks need negative exposure compensation.
Also cloudy days tend to turn light blue, so may need to warm the color up a bit (redder).

Aperture affects your depth of field...how much is in focus. Also affects how much light you are letting in how fast, so affects your shutter speed.
Big aperture F2.8 = lots of light fast so fast shutter speeds skinny depth of field. Small aperture F14 = lets in light slower slower slow shutter speeds wide depth of field.

I am at work so I cannot see your pictures.
thanks Shockey ,. for not seeing the pics i think you described to me very accurately what i need to do.. i will take a little break from actually taking pics and go back through all the settings.. theres definitly something off and will change the aperture ..i want more light fast .. so thats a good tip..thanks!!!!!!

ISO affects your shutter speed along with your f-stop.
Depending on your camera you may be able to go up to 400 or 800 without adding to much noise.
F10 is to high, change your f-stop to one or two stops higher than the lowest your lens will go, probably around f5.6, try iso 800.
Put your camera on cloudy white balance.
thanks again..will do...i know this will take me awhile.. but i will be back... don't work too hard...

Its just the white balance. You went really cool with it and gave it that blue tint. It is easily fixed in post processing. Because of stuff like this, I highly recommend you shoot in raw format so you can fix anything issues that may have been noticed after your shooting, without losing quality.

I just changed the white balance (and HAD to try and denoise/dejpeg) on this photo with two clicks of the mouse. If you are unsure how to do this, I will try and help you if you would like..

outsideagain004.jpg

It's also under exposed because you are in auto again and the camera cannot cope with the bright snow

Its just the white balance. You went really cool with it and gave it that blue tint. It is easily fixed in post processing. Because of stuff like this, I highly recommend you shoot in raw format so you can fix anything issues that may have been noticed after your shooting, without losing quality.

I just changed the white balance (and HAD to try and denoise/dejpeg) on this photo with two clicks of the mouse. If you are unsure how to do this, I will try and help you if you would like..that is some difference.. i understand that now... what about the focus though.. the pic should be crisp and clear ... thanks for helping.. that is very good advice to use on pics that i really love and won't be able to duplicate..

outsideagain004.jpg
Thanks Again

I just changed the white balance (and HAD to try and denoise/dejpeg) on this photo with two clicks of the mouse. If you are unsure how to do this, I will try and help you if you would like..that is some difference.. i understand that now... what about the focus though.. the pic should be crisp and clear ... thanks for helping.. that is very good advice to use on pics that i really love and won't be able to duplicate..

outsideagain004.jpg

.that is some difference.. i understand that now... what about the focus though.. the pic should be crisp and clear ... thanks for helping.. that is very good advice to use on pics that i really love and won't be able to duplicate..
Thanks Again
This will help you
Amazon.com: Bryan Peterson: Books

For the shot, you will need Shutter speed. You will also want to have your AF set to wide zone, AF mode set to AF-C, Metering at center weighted, quality set to raw & Large. Shooting in Aperture Priority might help you out as well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks very much..time to go back and hit the books and camera manual... i will get this right .... i will also take this advice because now it is finally making sense to me of what i was lacking... thanks thanks..!!!!

It is NOT just the white balance. Yes, white balance was off, but the picture is horribly underexposed. I don't know what the camera uses for it's metering mode when in auto (never used auto), but I'm guessing that it uses matrix metering. When shooting snow and matrix metering, the camera is going to end up trying to expose the snow which will underexpose your subject. Put it into spot or center weighted metering and put white balance on auto (my D90 does great on auto wb outdoors so yours should too). Do those steps and reshoot....see where you come at.

In addition to the advice you have already been given I will add that a good move to understanding the camera more is to move out of auto mode and into Aperture priority mode. That will mean that you set the apertuer of each shot as well as the ISO and the camera then sets the shutter speed based on the scene before you and the metering mode you use.

Using this mode is a good measure to get control over the camera whilst also giving you a fast working speed (something that you need with active subjects like dogs) since instead of yourself having to manually change the shutter speed for each shot the camera does so on its own. Also when reading the manual check up on the exposure compensation feature - it is this which allows you to follow Shocky's advice regarding overexposing the shot when shooting in snowy scenes. I would also say that it might be an idea to leave the metering modes alone for the present - get used to working in one mode (I just used the default that my camera was set to for ages) and adjusting the exposure to suit the scene.

The book - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (already mentioned) I will second as a great place to start reading to get a good understanding over aperture, shutter speed and ISO; but don't forget your camera manual which gives a lot of good information as well

In addition to the advice you have already been given I will add that a good move to understanding the camera more is to move out of auto mode and into Aperture priority mode. That will mean that you set the apertuer of each shot as well as the ISO and the camera then sets the shutter speed based on the scene before you and the metering mode you use.

Using this mode is a good measure to get control over the camera whilst also giving you a fast working speed (something that you need with active subjects like dogs) since instead of yourself having to manually change the shutter speed for each shot the camera does so on its own. Also when reading the manual check up on the exposure compensation feature - it is this which allows you to follow Shocky's advice regarding overexposing the shot when shooting in snowy scenes. I would also say that it might be an idea to leave the metering modes alone for the present - get used to working in one mode (I just used the default that my camera was set to for ages) and adjusting the exposure to suit the scene.

The book - Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (already mentioned) I will second as a great place to start reading to get a good understanding over aperture, shutter speed and ISO; but don't forget your camera manual which gives a lot of good information as well
thanks sending this whole thread now to my email.... so much information.. i cannot wait to work one it... thanks one and all for all your help... i will be back asap to let you know how i made out... but being a newby it will take awhile..but i am determined to get the best i can... thanks again and not for everybody..but what better way to spend a winter..but in your own back yard taking beautiful pics of your dogs in the snow...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back