It's the 11th November tomorrow.

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
How many will remember the minutes silence at 11am? I bet they don't at the school I work at. :roll:

i'll probably be sleeping at that point since both of my classes tomorrow were canceled for random reasons :)

i doubt they would if i were in class though :?

I do it privately and remeber my father and grandfather. One was at Dunkirk and one at Ypres. And I had a friend who was at the Falklands. But I remember the poor guys who were on the other side too.

We are talking about Veterans Day, right?

My grandfather and father both faught in wars and I am engaged to a veteran who served in the Air Force for 5 years. I will most certainly be thinking of them all tomorrow.

So, thanks to all who have serverd their countries. And a special thanks to Hobbes28 and any other veterans on this board. :salute:

The minute of silence is always 11:11 am on the 11th day of the 11th month....

It was drilled into us in basic training....

Thanks to all the vets...and those active now...

It's Remembrance Day where you official remember the people who died in the First World War. Of course you're going to use it to remember lots of other people to. If you look at UK TV programs or photos from the last week or so you'll see people with red poppies on their coats or jumpers. You put a few pence into a charity box and you get a poppy to show you have some respect.

It's dying out here now. I bet if I ask the kids today they won't have a clue what I'm talking about. I don't mean to sound old beyond my years here, but I think you have to remember stuff like this. Not just to show you care, but if you forget about any of it it'll just repeat itself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/remembrance/

All the schools here take the the minute of silence. At least they did when I was young. Now I think it's a day off for school kids.

It's a holiday for me too but I was given the option to take Friday reather that today.

Does anyone else were poppy pins this time of year to honor those who fought & died? Or is that just a Canadian thing?

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae

When I was a kid the local veteran groups would sale paper poppy at storefronts around town. Don’t see that a lot any more.

This is the Day of Independence in Poland! So this is a kind of very happy event here! We are celbrating independece!!!!

Mike -

I always buy the poppy pins... hang one on my rear view mirror and one in my office....

it's a great reminder....

Big Mike said:
Does anyone else were poppy pins this time of year to honor those who fought & died? Or is that just a Canadian thing?

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

- John McCrae

Not just a Canadian thing .....We have vets actually out and about selling poppie pins ( as a fund raiser ).
I had a kind old gentleman come into my workplace a few days before and I bought one off him and told him thank you ( not for selling me the poppy but for the service he gave ).

I observed the minute of silence ( its the least anyone can do ) ...however I was a bit upset by the fact that my boss was beside me talkin business down his phone to whatever customer and not paying respect....and that customers kept ringing on the phone to book in jobs
( are the respectful ones who do stay silent and give thought , to those who sacrificed their lives , the minority .....? :confused: )
I had reminded my boss about the one minute silence comin up yet he couldnt stop for a minute for thoughts for the men who fought so that he can have the life he is leading today.

Mike , I love that poem.

Too many people these days think that the Universe revolves around them, and their Universe is a very small place. They don't see how the selfless acts of other's have allowed them to be so privileged.
Maybe nothing is appreciated until it is lost.

Hmm I see many differences between our culture... In Poland we have parades, celebrities, we buy national flags, sing the anthem, we are very proud of the 11th Nov. we got back our independence. So that is really happy day for all Poles. But I'm afraid - only for us.

Hey Mentos - after what your country has gone through over the centuries you deserve some happiness. Your independence day is the biggest and best tribute the Vets could have. It's the reason why wars are faught.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back