it's time to get a real camera. your opinions and advice are appreciated

I agree with all of the above!

I think at this point you have to go to a local camera store and try most cameras out. Grab them, shoot them, feel them. Being comfortable with the body (too small, too big, just right) is as important as everything else everyone has mentioned.

Avoid the big electronics chains (i.e. best buy, circuit city) for now. (you might actually end up buying your camera there cause the prices might be better but for researching purposes I would advise you to go to a local camera store. The reason being the people there are more knowledgable. I personally have yet to find a rep at the bigger stores that knew what they were talking about. Usually any comparison questions get answered like this : "Ummmm well this one has 2MP more than the other one..." while they are reading the store tags. Not that there aren't the exceptions out there. I just think you'll have better luck at a local store. Once you've narrowed down your choices you can go price shopping and give that helpful local store the chance to price match at least.

Nikon and Canon being the most popular brands definately take a look at those but don't limit yourself. Olympus, Sony, Pentax, Fuji all have great competative Cameras. But keep in mind that you are not just buying a camera body but a Camera system. What brand you chose will dictate the type of lenses and accessories that you will later buy. If you ever upgrade your camera in order to use all those extra lenses and accessories you are going to have to stay within the same system (=brand) with some esceptions. Of course if money is no subject you can always invest in a new Camera system all over again.

Now personally I'm partial to Olympus

Hope that helps

Most reactions

New Topics

Back