I've hit a bit of a wall...

The Empress

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so...I have come to a bit of a stand-still w/ my photography. I love nature and think that it is the most beautiful to photograph, but i have pretty much already shot everything possible around here (which isn't much anyway, cause i dont live in a very pretty part of the county) So if anyone has any ideas/new challenges for me that would be wonderful!!!! THANKS!! :sexywink:

are you city or country?
makes little difference - chances are there are some around - so how about trying to catch fox photos -- at night!
now there is a challenge :)

Landscapish: Churches, Fire Departments, Bridges...
People: Your Friends and Family.

I'd pick a catagory, say, old Bronestone apartment buildings, find three or four and photograph everything about them and form a series.

If nothing here sparks your interest try to replicate other photos you really like.

Well i live in a town in the TX panhandle, so the actual countyside isn't very pretty just flat and dead lol, I love some of the buildings downtown, but it would not be the best place for a 20 yr old girl to be walking around, and most of my friends aren't interested in photography at all for them to even go w/ me :(

I've heard that photographers switch things up once in a while. You might want to do another area of photography. I am not sure that will help but try and do a division of work. Every 4 months switch it up from landscape to portraits. See if this keeps things fresh.

what about macro?
insects and macro photography can be very interesting - and its the only way to run through afield chasing butterflies without looking a fool ;)

Spoken like a true photographer...

and its the only way to run through afield chasing butterflies without looking a fool ;)

lmao! You would think wouldn't you, but people will be like, 'what kind of fool catches butterflies with his/her camera!'

Take pictures of objects around your house, get creative, clothes, shoes on different surfaces, transparent surfaces, take pix from under these objects above. As for nature wise, take objects with you, place them around take pics, throw things in the air take flying spontaneous pictures of those, next to trees or in fields, whatever. Plus there's always a million ways to take a photograph of the same thing, can't see how you could be bored already :D

Well i live in a town in the TX panhandle, so the actual countyside isn't very pretty just flat and dead lol, I love some of the buildings downtown, but it would not be the best place for a 20 yr old girl to be walking around, and most of my friends aren't interested in photography at all for them to even go w/ me :(
Im guessing you are either in Amarillo or Midland/Odessa. In which case yeah it is kind of boring in that area. You may have to do one or two day road trips unfortuanately. There are some nice abandoned structures along I-40 towards NM also the town of Cuervo NM isnt that far from the Texas border. There are a ton of abandoned buildings there, well for a town of its size. You could also haed out towards Okla but, the west side of that state isnt much better than where you are at. The east side of Okla is much nicer.

Ennui.

Look it up.

Think about it a while

Start exploring the aspects of this state.

Take it by the throat, shake it about a bit and make something interesting.

Ennui.

Look it up.

Don't have to, I speak that language (lol). French for "bored".

I lived 2 years in Texas, I never got bored. If anything, I found things a lot closer together than here in Canada (I can drive 8-10 hours straight and *still* be in the same province, or change directions, drive for 20 min and be in either my choice of New York or Vermont!). A different town is at most a few minutes away and at best, another state is a mere 2 hours away! This goes for pretty much anywhere in Texas, as big as it is. I stayed between Dallas and some time in Houston... loved it (in the winter ONLY... summers sucked there with a capital "S"). Anyways, I digress... drive to another town, look around, there are millions of things to photograph in Texas!

Hey, want to do something unusual? A local group of photographers here in Montreal did a little research, found 5 of the top local ghost haunts within a 30 mile area and organized a photo day as a group and photographed them. The goal was not to photograph ghosts, just the architecture/location/feel of the areas. They had a great time!

I've taken something like 5000-6000 pictures in the last 2 weeks just playing with off camera lighting, that is also something that can occupy you for MONTHS if you get into it. ;)

Last edited:
Try Horse portraits. Static and moving.

Rodeos are fun and I think that some one around here does the show circuit so if you find them you could ask for some pointers.

I would love to be able to travel but that isn't really an option for me, i am a full time student with a full time job :( But thanks everyone for your comments/ideas so far!!!

I live in L.A., where it seems there should always be something to shoot, and I have the same feelings sometimes. I just take a break and eventually the ideas will come back.

Hitting a wall is natural - it means you know what you don't like. Don't let that discourage you. It's obviously not the same as a pure creative direction, but it's a component of that.

Most reactions

Back