Laptop for Photoshop and Lightroom

So, no field work for 600e? Like I expected... well, in that case I can keep my Lenovo laptop with horrible panel and invest money in good monitor, so I can edit when I'm home...

Just one thing that I don't understand. I see all the time srgb % in laptop previews. It's on notebookchecker.com. So, higher the srbg % is, the colors are going to be produced better, right? Or am I wrong? A lot expencive laptops have just 60-70% of srgb coverage. And I have saw few less expencive with higher srgb coverage. Am I missing something?

You're right. When you see any cost/performance variance that gives you pause stop and ask yourself what is the hardware for. Pro-level photo editing isn't at the bottom of the critical-customer-feature-list for laptop manufacturers -- it's not on the list. They're not made for what you have in mind.

I got it like this, good intel i5 or i7, ram 8-16gb, good gpu, IPS Full HD panel (15" min) with >90% srgb? Or I'm wrong?

You're right. I have a 17" laptop with one of those 60-70% panels that I use exclusively for teaching. (I teach at a couple different campuses and the easiest thing for me to do is bring my own computer and plug into their projection system.) This is a Toshiba. I used to have a MacBook Pro 17" but the Toshiba is better. I do calibrate the laptop screen and every once in awhile if I'm traveling I'll give in to the temptation to edit some recent photos in a motel room.

17" is just way too bleep bleep small for starters. Some of my editing software won't even display properly on a 17" screen.

Because the screen is calibrated I can usually do a fair job with a first run edit on the photos. But because I have the experience of editing with better equipment at home at my desk I immediately start feeling a loss of confidence. When I get home I check what I've done and basically I was heading in the right direction but final readjustments are necessary.

If I had to use a screen like the one on my laptop I'd do what I had to do and make a go of it. I think the results would be fair overall but I'd get the fine nuances wrong.

Joe

Not to be a party pooper but...........a few truths about laptops and photo editing.

1. Laptops are poor machines to edit on. The screen is not always at the same angle and you are not in the same light all the time.
2. Laptop, desktop, it doesn't matter, all displays must be hardware calibrated to properly edit as well as being periodically re-calibrated. Especially if you change where you are editing or the lighting changes. Otherwise WYS is not WYG.
3. Laptops are only good for convenience when editing. See the above two for reasons why.
4. Most Laptops do not come with IPS (IN PLANE SWITCHING) displays. More IPS displays are being added to laptops, generally the higher end/more expensive models.

Some things you need to be aware of if you are not.
Well, I'm trying to get the best solution for ~600e. I mean, I know that I can't get something special for that amount of money. I have PC with good monitor, but I can't use it because of often trips.

Few people told me that I should get older Macbook pro 15". I can buy used model from 2011 for 600e here where I live. They have told me that Macbook's have great panels, and that PS and LR are working just fine even on older models (2010, 2009...) Is that true?

That is not true. What is true is that Apple is very successful at lying to it's fan base.

Joe
Not to be a party pooper but...........a few truths about laptops and photo editing.

1. Laptops are poor machines to edit on. The screen is not always at the same angle and you are not in the same light all the time.
2. Laptop, desktop, it doesn't matter, all displays must be hardware calibrated to properly edit as well as being periodically re-calibrated. Especially if you change where you are editing or the lighting changes. Otherwise WYS is not WYG.
3. Laptops are only good for convenience when editing. See the above two for reasons why.
4. Most Laptops do not come with IPS (IN PLANE SWITCHING) displays. More IPS displays are being added to laptops, generally the higher end/more expensive models.

Well, I'm trying to get the best solution for ~600e. I mean, I know that I can't get something special for that amount of money. I have PC with good monitor, but I can't use it because of often trips.

Few people told me that I should get older Macbook pro 15". I can buy used model from 2011 for 600e here where I live. They have told me that Macbook's have great panels, and that PS and LR are working just fine even on older models (2010, 2009...) Is that true?

That is not true. What is true is that Apple is very successful at lying to it's fan base.

Joe
Not near as much as Windows users lie to Apple users.

Good thing I'm an Apple user and have been since the beginning.

Joe

Joe

Just a followup on this specifically: Back when Apple first release the Macbook Pro (yeah a little old, but it applies here) Apple was sued for lying about the displays in the Macbook Pro. They were actually pretty much cr*p: http://images.appleinsider.com/apple_macbook_lawsuit.pdf

Joe

Ok. I understand You guys. Laptops are NOT for pic editing. Got it. So, let's say it this way, what is the less bad option for laptop (used macbook) for pic editing, for 600e?

What You think about this one, it's 580 euros (it's something above 600 dollars I think), brand new.

5550-0075 | dell Latitude E5550 Intel Core i5-5300U 8GB 128GB SSD 15.6 INCH FHD AntiGlare Intel - Laptops Direct

Small ssd capacity could be a problem, but it's ok for begining.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Seriously, if you can in any way see straight to carry a little more size/weight think 17" laptop. As I said some of my editing software simply won't scale down to even display on a 17" screen let alone a 15" screen.

Joe

That 15" can go straight into my camera bag. Ok, np, I'm a strong young boy, I can carry two big bags :) I will search models with 17" panels now. If You have something in your mind, be free to suggest. I will read now lawsuit, I'm very interested in that.

I used to have an Acer aspire and it ran CC fine

Ok. I understand You guys. Laptops are NOT for pic editing. Got it. So, let's say it this way, what is the less bad option for laptop (used macbook) for pic editing, for 600e?

What You think about this one, it's 580 euros (it's something above 600 dollars I think), brand new.

5550-0075 | dell Latitude E5550 Intel Core i5-5300U 8GB 128GB SSD 15.6 INCH FHD AntiGlare Intel - Laptops Direct

This is not true. Mobile workstations are designed for graphic intensive software by design. In my earlier post I gave you an option for 600, the Lenovo W530 or the new entry level Lenovo P50 or P70.

This is not true. Mobile workstations are designed for graphic intensive software by design. In my earlier post I gave you an option for 600, the Lenovo W530 or the new entry level Lenovo P50 or P70.

Point of exception here: Graphic intensive yes (games) but photographic color no (rare exception). They can run the software no problem they just don't do the job when it comes final color editing at a Pro level. To do that you have to display the color and ideally at a reasonable size.

Joe

Joe

Just a followup on this specifically: Back when Apple first release the Macbook Pro (yeah a little old, but it applies here) Apple was sued for lying about the displays in the Macbook Pro. They were actually pretty much cr*p: http://images.appleinsider.com/apple_macbook_lawsuit.pdf

Joe
Yep dated and irrelevant at this point in regards to what the OP is looking at.

Joe

Joe
Yep dated and irrelevant at this point in regards to what the OP is looking at.

Dated as acknowledged but not irrelevant since the OP mentioned considering a used Macbook and not irrelevant as to Apple's normal pattern of behavior.

Joe

What I have:

Taken from about this Mac screen.
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15inch,
Processor, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Bought refurbished from Apple online at the time it was $1300 prob worth $200 to $500 now maybe. Runs CC fine with i7 it would run newest CC fine, 8GB min is what you should aim for when buying. Note I don't have retina display couldn't afford it at the time but if I did want more RAM retina set up will not allow this. Save Most things to external drives.

I've been very happy with my Dell workstation and the service I've expererienced, but I'd stay away from consumer products from Dell. Too many horror stories.

The advantage to Apple is more the OS than the hardware. The hardware is still very good (though apple products do run hot), but unless you're a mac user I don't really think it's worth it. We're hobbpling along a 2009 MBP. Cracked screen after my son stepped on it. There was some jumping involved, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back