laptop wont start. i think i broke it

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
a. the screen had been cracked for weeks, I use a monitor so didn't really care but this is important.
b. I was running out of room on the drive so decided to make room. tried disk manager to edit partitions it wouldn't let me. tried disk part and it kept asking for override to do it, put in override command it wouldn't take it. so ended up downloading easy partition or something to do it.
c. the operating I system is 8.1, but had it set up with Unbuntu as well.
d. in easy partition I deleted out and formatted the unbuntu partition to unallocated. I also deleted another reserve partition I had. I left as follows
volume 1 1 unallocated (beginning of drive never use)
volume 2 ntfs winre partition
volume 3 ntfs boot partition
volume 4 8.1ntfs os partition
volume 5 recovery partition
I then extended volume 4 to max space the extra partition and Unbuntu now gone.

easy partition requested to reboot to perform changes. click okay reboot.

AND IT DIDNT START AGAIN and boot into the o.s. 8.1, just fan running, nada.
so restart and esc to bios (remembering I tampered with this when I installed unbuntu but not how, clicked restore defaults.
reboot, still don't boot.
restart again and esc to boot selection device, pick cdrom (already tried booting the recovery volume wont do that either just runs, and runs, and runs, but don't load anything). shove in a old bootable window xp cd. it just keeps loading, loading, loading, loading. but doesn't actually do anything.
I don't have a 8.1 recovery cd. figure that is the problems I haven't done much with computers since xp

so I go down to the store last night (kind of pissed at this point) and buy another laptop, come home and get it online (8.1).
put in a usb drive and immediately do a backup recovery.
But the usb drive in the other laptop and turn it on.

and still NOTHING....
I am getting really ticked off.
just sayn. any help would be great.

I'm with Gary. Mine has started to act up too and I've been warning the Wife that we may have to get me a Macbook pro pretty soon.

I'm with Gary. Mine has started to act up too and I've been warning the Wife that we may have to get me a Macbook pro pretty soon.
I just really haven't a clue on this one. I could ALWAYS get into the other windows platforms i had utility disks, bootable cds etc and i could always get in. This windows 8.1, not a clue. If it was xp i wouldn't be posting this right now. Even with Lenovo or the old thinkpads i could reflash them and get them going again. This thing... just ticking me off... i don't know how to fix it and that ticks me off..

the dead one is a hp, the one bought is a hp. tried to come close to mimic the recovery cd. Only difference is the new one is touch screen too. Not sure if makes a difference like i said, i know jack about the new systems.

I understand. I bought my kids a Windows 8 machine last year and I try not to get on it. (That's why I'm going to macbook pro).

Trip to Best Buy Geek Squad?

If you have purchased some soft, let's say Capture one pro, or Topaz, or Lightroom for Windows and change to a Mac from Win, can you download the Mac version? Or you need to buy it again?

If you have purchased some soft, let's say Capture one pro, or Topaz, or Lightroom for Windows and change to a Mac from Win, can you download the Mac version? Or you need to buy it again?
Typically, in the past, if you contact the manufacturer of the program(s), they'll provide the Mac version at no cost.

I think it's time to upgrade to a MacBookPro. (Gary ducks and hides.)

OH GOD NO DONT DO IT!!!!!!

You will choke on the restrictions of the MAC.

it would help if I could see, since I put the uefi on default or whatever the hell it is, the external monitor don't even work It just flickers and goes out. course the lapop screen is cracked to hell and pretty much black.
so I am listening to if it is loading or not, and guessing.

two seconds, hit escape
f11 down enter.
listen.
nope.
reboot hit escape.
down key twice.enter.
reboot .
nope.
been doing this for about a hour, as I cant see not getting to far....

I think it's time to upgrade to a MacBookPro. (Gary ducks and hides.)

OH GOD NO DONT DO IT!!!!!!

You will choke on the restrictions of the MAC.
don't know. last I had one it was called apple and had apple on it. appleIIc matter a fact. I think I was 8 years old and it was considered portable because it had a handle on it. Other than learning some BASIC language never really got to far with them old ones but I knew I liked it better than the commodore 64. After that I noticed the business world all went ibm so I followed suit. Mostly owned thinkpads. But you get kids,,,,expenses ad up. started buying thinkpads used and fixing them. Then got sick of that, starting buying p.o.s. dells new. Then went to hp.
I do have another dell kicking around I got for free because they couldn't get it working that runs windows 7 that I fixed.
And now this new one which is another hp. Nothing beats a Lenovo or (xibm) for me I probably should go back to fixing broken ones. But on the other hand, I haven't had a new one of them either in a while so they could be a cluster fruck now. I really am just out of the loop?????
Probably partially me, but also partially Microsoft I think. seems they are locking these operating systems down now like the macs are. And windows has never been totally stable but the good thing is we could fix and tweak it. Aint looking like that now.

I understand. I bought my kids a Windows 8 machine last year and I try not to get on it. (That's why I'm going to macbook pro).

Trip to Best Buy Geek Squad?
thinking I will let it sit until I figure out what to do with it.... it might be another one that ends up in the driveway with me running it over with my truck. Or target practice..

just sucks, as I had a lot of raws on there I don't have backups of as I wasn't backing up all the raw files....

just sucks, as I had a lot of raws on there I don't have backups of as I wasn't backing up all the raw files....

Ouch, that is what was bothering me. When mine first started acting up about a month ago, I backed all of my raw files up to my external HD. But got lazy and last night when it wigged out, I had some family portraits of some friends on there and no backup. I was lucky that it started working again and I immediately moved them to the external HD.

Ouch, that is what was bothering me. When mine first started acting up about a month ago, I backed all of my raw files up to my external HD. But got lazy and last night when it wigged out, I had some family portraits of some friends on there and no backup. I was lucky that it started working again and I immediately moved them to the external HD.
yeah, hadn't got that far. last backup said I didn't have enough room. I bought another external drive but it is still in the box, I hadn't gotten around to getting it going. lol Most of my stuff is backed up still so it isn't like I lost everything between cloud and the other externals I have the majority of it even if some are jpegs.

sucks spending all this time and headache on this stuff. I would so rather just take photos. That is the fun part.

hmmm. I have another junk hp around here too with a shot screen I bought the same year as this one that isnt working. keyboard is gone on it too. wonder if I can swap the hard drives and keyboard and plug that into the external monitor? or are they made so cheap now a days they aren't unpluggable anymore? :confused-55:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back