Lens adapters

Boosma47

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First, happy to be a part of this forum. Unsophisticated sortof beginner with nice equipment thinking it is time to educate myself at my advanced age.
My question involves lens adapters.
I have a Pentax ME Super SLR which has a AE CF TeleMacro 80-210 lens. I adore this lens and want to be able to use it on my Pentax K20D DSLR.
What adapter(s) would be recommended for this?
I understand there are some adjustments needed before shooting with the DSLR, but I am anxious to give it a try.

You won't need an adapter at all.
The K20 will shoot with any K mount lens, the earliest models without an A aperture setting can give slight exposure issues unless stop down metering is used but I don't think I've ever found the variation beyond the realms of my basic post processing. The AE in your lens description shows it won't need stop down metering anyway, and I can't think of any adjustments that would be needed either. Changing the menu setting 'shoot without lens' to yes might be needed (the default will only allow the camera to operate if it has electronic communication with the lens). I always change that when I first get the camera but I think the contacts for the AE will be enough for the camera to recognize the lens anyway.

I don't remember the full spec for the K20 (now quite an old model) but IIRC it will give image stabilization with this lens (you may need to manually enter the focal length) and the focus confirm light should operate too.

Unfortunately the viewfinder on a DSLR will not be as good for manual focusing as the ME,but hopefully this won't kill your love of the lens

You won't need an adapter at all.
The K20 will shoot with any K mount lens, the earliest models without an A aperture setting can give slight exposure issues unless stop down metering is used but I don't think I've ever found the variation beyond the realms of my basic post processing. The AE in your lens description shows it won't need stop down metering anyway, and I can't think of any adjustments that would be needed either. Changing the menu setting 'shoot without lens' to yes might be needed (the default will only allow the camera to operate if it has electronic communication with the lens). I always change that when I first get the camera but I think the contacts for the AE will be enough for the camera to recognize the lens anyway.

I don't remember the full spec for the K20 (now quite an old model) but IIRC it will give image stabilization with this lens (you may need to manually enter the focal length) and the focus confirm light should operate too.

Unfortunately the viewfinder on a DSLR will not be as good for manual focusing as the ME,but hopefully this won't kill your love of the lens

What I forgot to mention is that the lens is a Tamron lens...

Yes, but it is in the Pentax K-mount, and fits on Ye Olde Pentax..so it will fit on the NEW Pentax d-slr cameras just fine!

Sweet,eh!?

Sweet, indeed. Thanks!

By the way...if you've a mind to have a very nice lens, try the old thread mount m42 Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 lens..amazing, lovely defocused area, an a gorgeous lens drawing style. I was browsing YouTube last night, and found The Angry Photograher's video about a best and must-have $20 lens. Intrigued, I clicked on his video and watched it. I AGREE with him! I own the 135/3.5 Super-Takumar, and when I shot it on my Canon d-slr years back with an adapter, I was blown away by its beautiful image characteristics.

Right, If I'm not mistaken it's actually a part of the Adaptall 2 range. It could very easily be the same as the model (103a) that I still have a couple of examples of (one from my film days & a second donated by family, my third copy has been sold to a friend).

Provided the adaptall fitting on it is PKA then everything in my initial post remains true. If the cheaper PK fitting (which doesn't support the AE) is on the lens then the aperture control won't be perfect unless you use stop down metering. It is possible to remove the adaptall fitting & replace it with one for a different SLR mount - You wouldn't want to unless you change to another camera brand (why would you).
FWIW the PKA fitting is worth about twice the lens!

It is worth pointing out it will give a different field of view on the K20 than on your old ME super. Perhaps not quite as convenient as a walk around lens, but still quite usable.

Most reactions

Back