Lens fell off camera?!?

This is what I have beside the belt. They go around your belt as you please. There are different slots and you can put them in any of them comfortable to you

I can just rest the camera w/ 70-200 attached in this pouch
LC-75-Pop-Down-1.jpg

and for my 2 smaller lenses

Skin-Chimp-Cage-1.jpg

Did they move the release or something? Is it in a different place on the 5D MkII than other bodies??

How is the button even getting pressed? On all of the bodies I've used, you had to push it pretty hard, and turn the lens hard too.

I mean ... I don't really see how you can accidentally push it...

not sure either Josh. I mean it was hanging off my right shoulder. I don't even know how it'd get pushed there. Maybe it hit my belt? I dont' know but it's very odd. It's in the same position as my T1i. On right side of the lens mount if you're looking at the camera.

Did they move the release or something? Is it in a different place on the 5D MkII than other bodies??

How is the button even getting pressed? On all of the bodies I've used, you had to push it pretty hard, and turn the lens hard too.

I mean ... I don't really see how you can accidentally push it...

It takes practice. Like crashing your car into the garage wall.

Flickr: Discussing lens fell off 5dmII in Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

Seems like this is one of Canon's ergonomic design features....easy, unexpected lens releases (onto concrete, mud, whatever).

Derrel, normally there are times that you have well thought out and informative posts. But please, this time, just stop.

The release buttons on both Nikon and Camera are only a fraction of an inch from each other (roughly), and there have been reports of lenses falling off D3's as well.

Please, I understand you have some kind of personal vendetta against Canon for whatever reason, just don't be a silly ninny when it comes to this stuff, because it's inaccurate.

D3 fell off my 24-70: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Smoke another bowl dude. It's HILARIOUS...Canon 5D users with lenses dropping off their bodies!!! Come on...that's hilarious!!!

I have over $10,000 worth of Canon equipment..my main camera is a Canon 5D and a 70-200 and a 24-105-L...so, have a few more bong hits dude...enjoy....relax a little, un-bunch your panties...see the humor in life man...

I guess I don't see the humor in incorrect information... Sorry dude. :confused:

It's for the same reason that I don't watch Fox news.

What kind of bag are you using?

I was thinking about how in the world could the lens release accidentally get pressed, and the only thing I could come up with is the bag.

If you use a backpack style bag with a lens attached, the edge of the pad is sitting right on the button, and the weight of the camera/lens would do the work of pressing it (especially if you're walking and it's bouncing around).

I always use a shoulder bag with no lens mounted... I took these quick pictures to show the difference...

That's the only thing I can think of - the lens is unlocked and slightly rotated when you pull it out of the bag, and eventually it works it's way off.

Not sure if you use a backpack style bag, but I know most people here do so it might still be relevant to them.

A backpack style bag with a 70-200 attached. The edge of that little support pad is right on the lens release button:

Well, in the picture it's not actually touching it - but if I were wearing it, it would be. Bouncing around would probably be enough to press it.

Last edited:
Suck's Man,the only thing i can think of,is it being general use that's lossened the Mount. which i suppose,can happen to any camera. suppose it would happen more with heavier lenses?

A girl I know on another forum has lost a sigma wide angle lens off of a cliff and two nifty 50s that both fell off and broke. Makes me kinda glad I shoot Nikon.

Derrel, normally there are times that you have well thought out and informative posts. But please, this time, just stop.

The release buttons on both Nikon and Camera are only a fraction of an inch from each other (roughly), and there have been reports of lenses falling off D3's as well.

Please, I understand you have some kind of personal vendetta against Canon for whatever reason, just don't be a silly ninny when it comes to this stuff, because it's inaccurate.

D3 fell off my 24-70: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Smoke another bowl dude. It's HILARIOUS...Canon 5D users with lenses dropping off their bodies!!! Come on...that's hilarious!!!

I have over $10,000 worth of Canon equipment..my main camera is a Canon 5D and a 70-200 and a 24-105-L...so, have a few more bong hits dude...enjoy....relax a little, un-bunch your panties...see the humor in life man...

I guess I don't see the humor in incorrect information... Sorry dude. :confused:

It's for the same reason that I don't watch Fox news.

i thought it was pretty funny

Oh, so this all about user error.

Get some thick self adhesive rubber and cut a ring that fits around the release button, and high enough to prevent accidental hits, but not slow down a lens change.

Problem solved. Word to your mother! Peace.

I've had this happen to me once. Luckily my hood was on. The 70-200 fell of the 5D Mk2 as I was walking. Nothing broke! So now I'm always scared about walking with my lens on the camera. One thing I noticed is that when I put the lens on and I move it back and forth, it moves a little, not like solid. It's very minor. I tested it and it hasn't happened again.

If feels more solid when I put it on my T1i though. How is the fitting w/ your camera? Is this normal?

Then I saw this! Canon 5D MKII lenses are FALLING off (7D also)

So...MohaimenK had his 70-200 FALL OFF his 5D-II...and the information is "not true"?? Seems like it's time to torch another bowl of sticky icky. And a bunch of people on Flickr got together and commented on how THEIR 5D-II's dumped lenses....but that's all fictitious too...better break out the vaporizer.

Oh, so this all about user error.

Get some thick self adhesive rubber and cut a ring that fits around the release button, and high enough to prevent accidental hits, but not slow down a lens change.

Problem solved. Word to your mother! Peace.

Bitter, stop doing drugs :thumbup:

What kind of bag are you using?

I was thinking about how in the world could the lens release accidentally get pressed, and the only thing I could come up with is the bag.

If you use a backpack style bag with a lens attached, the edge of the pad is sitting right on the button, and the weight of the camera/lens would do the work of pressing it (especially if you're walking and it's bouncing around).

I always use a shoulder bag with no lens mounted... I took these quick pictures to show the difference...

That's the only thing I can think of - the lens is unlocked and slightly rotated when you pull it out of the bag, and eventually it works it's way off.

Not sure if you use a backpack style bag, but I know most people here do so it might still be relevant to them.

A backpack style bag with a 70-200 attached. The edge of that little support pad is right on the lens release button:

Well, in the picture it's not actually touching it - but if I were wearing it, it would be. Bouncing around would probably be enough to press it.

Josh, I got the very same bag, well similar (amazon version if not canon) but it wasn't in that bag. I was using a different bag that time, a huge shoulder bag. But it wasn't that either because I did shoot for a while. I didn't put it back in the bag either. Just really odd.

Right now I'm using the belt system, making things A LOT more easier!

A "bunch" of people on flicker? That link only had, what, 6 replies?

The author of the original article never denies that he might have hit the release button.
With the small number of complaints, the evidence is anecdotal.
The release could be hit, and the lens could fall of 10 minutes later. Difficult for the user to correlate the two.

I cradle my rig in my hand at the mount as I'm walking around, especially with the heavier lenses.

There is a positive action on my Nikon gear when the lens is properly seated. That's what I wait for to be contented.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back