Lens Shopping is Frustrating!!!

I understand your situation. Still, I believe what's best is to learn something about the lenses you intend to purchase then make an informed purchase vs. posting on an internet forum for input about what lens we think you should buy.

You should buy what suits your needs, not what we think suits your needs. There's some good advice here regarding lenes, no doubt, but an informed purchase is far better than making random purchases hoping you get what you need.

That's all I'm saying.

Alright looks like you all need a little more background info. I LOVE LOVE LOVE photography, so after many months of saving $ I bought my D300. I knew that I would have to do a lot of reading and practice to understand my camera and the art of photography. I am a hands on learner, so reading manuals and posts online only get me so far, I have to just do it and by trial and error I learn. I do plan on reading "Understanding Exposure" I have seen many people suggest that book.
Back to the wedding, my family has taken notice to my addiction to snapping everyones picture at every opportunity, so my cousin approached me about shooting his wedding Labor Day weekend of 2010, so that gives me 15 months to learn as much as possible. I also had a crappy photographer at my own wedding (we did not get our wedding pics from this phtographer for 6 YEARS) so I am very sensitive to the fact that this is an extremely important job. I am just trying to project the things that I will need to purchase and become familiar with in the meantime.
I know that I need a second body, but I have time to save.
Thank you for your feedback.
Wow, your situation sounds an AWFUL lot like mine! I have always been the 'camera guy,' bringing my advanced P&S camera to every family event and otherwise.

My wedding photographer was simply dreadful, and that has fueled my desire to do weddings. Last year, I made the conversion to a DSLR with a Canon 450D and shot my friends wedding as a gift to them. They had 3 unofficial shooters (including me), and fortunately the results I gave them surpassed the others. All it took to set mine apart was he fact that I DID NOT use the kit lens :lol:

Anyway, definitely do not underestimate the difficulty of shooting a wedding. It's stressful, and you really have to know your camera. The lighting typically sucks and you must be able to adapt quickly and react immediately to get 'the shot.' Plus, you have to nail the moments that count. Obviously, you do not get a second chance.

Personally, I loved my first experience and although I will not shoot for a significant amount of money yet, I do have 3 more weddings next year. However, I know how demanding it will be and I already have a second shooter/assistant for every one (my wife). I say, good luck to you. If you are diligent enough between now & then, you can succeed. There is not a day that goes by that I am not reading/shooting/discussing/breathing photgraphy... after all, my next wedding will be in January and there is no way I can over prepare.

... as a sidenote, definitely get a good prime like the 50mm f/1.4 and a good mid range zoom (24-70mm 2.8). The D300 is a crop body right? If it is, just make sure you have a lens wide enough for those family shots.

I should also mention that shooting weddings will require more than one lens good lens. It will also require more than one body as well.

:D

Require is a pretty strong word. Preferred might be the better term.

I agree with tharmsen. Being a professional wedding photographer myself, I understand the difference between an amateur photographer who shows up with one camera and a pro who has backup equipment in case something happens to the first. The bride and groom are trusting you to be prepared and are paying you not only for photos, but to be responsible and have a backup plan for if something goes wrong (and eventually it will with one thing or another.). This is not the kind of shoot that can be redone and any pro customer service oriented photographer will have their client's best interests at heart. I know a bride and groom will appreciate that their wedding is treated with respect and care. :D

Amanda Galloway

i agree with tharmsen too. i'm sure we can all give you suggestions on what lenses to get, but you're still going to need to learn the technical aspects of the lens to know how to use them properly.

btw, my wedding photographer was kinda bad too. although, after getting into photography myself, i sorta understand the difficulty he had on my wedding day. bright sun + white dress = over exposure. but i still felt he was too lazy to work for the good shots. it was like he just shrugged his shoulders and said "too sunny, sorry".

i agree with tharmsen too. i'm sure we can all give you suggestions on what lenses to get, but you're still going to need to learn the technical aspects of the lens to know how to use them properly.

btw, my wedding photographer was kinda bad too. although, after getting into photography myself, i sorta understand the difficulty he had on my wedding day. bright sun + white dress = over exposure. but i still felt he was too lazy to work for the good shots. it was like he just shrugged his shoulders and said "too sunny, sorry".

Jose,
Sheesh, sorry you had that experience. I agree your photographer could have done something different. A good trick for sunny days is to use your flash (OK, sounds weird, but there is a reason). The fill flash will help wipe out harsh contrasting shadows and then you can use super low iso settings and a fast shutter speed so the background doesn't ovrexpose. That way your subject and background are more evenly balanced if you want that look. Plus, it's a good idea to look for shade. Just some tips for anyone reading this who has to shoot outdoors. Some of my fave shots I've taken were actually under these lighting conditions so Jose is right- you can make it can work!

Amanda Galloway

Thank you all so much for the helpful tips! That's why I come to this sight daily, I always learn something new.

However, I know how demanding it will be and I already have a second shooter/assistant for every one (my wife).

Clawed, funny you say that your wife is your backup, my husband and I have talked about him being my backup as well. :)

If you don't know what all those "scientific" things are that describe a lens you're probably no where near ready to shoot a wedding or really ready to buy a new high dollar lens. Those "scientific" things describe the functional capabilities of the lens. If you don't know what they mean, it means you don't know how the lens works or how it should be employed. If you don't know how to use it, why are you buying it?

Learn with your kit lens and when that starts to fail you, you'll know exactly what it is you need in a new lens... and then those "scientific" descriptions will begin to make sense.

I should also mention that shooting weddings will require more than one lens good lens. It will also require more than one body as well.

:D

The Perfect answer to the OP's Question

Oh give me a break. The ONLY thing that matters on those lenses is the focal range, and the aperture. Not knowing what an ED of IF or G lens is no more makes someone a noob than knowing it somehow makes you a master.

As for the lenses you might find yourself needing:

85MM F/1.8 (or the 1.4 if money is no object)
24-70 F/2.8 (or really any autofocus iteration of this lens)
70-200 VR F/2.8 (or the 80-200 F/2.8)

That would have you set. And no you do not NEED a second body. Can something happen to your equipment at any time? Sure. But then so can it happen to your lenses, or your car, or body for goodness sake. Theres caution, and then there is caution for the sake of "spending money." If you absolutely NEED a second body (or want the convenience of not having to switch lenses on and off) just grab a cheapo D70/s or a D80.

Last edited:
Oh give me a break. The ONLY thing that matters on those lenses is the focal range, and the aperture.

That would have you set. And no you do not NEED a second body. Can something happen to your equipment at any time? Sure. But then so can it happen to your lenses, or your car, or body for goodness sake. Theres caution, and then there is caution for the sake of "spending money." If you absolutely NEED a second body (or want the convenience of not having to switch lenses on and off) just grab a cheapo D70/s or a D80.

ANDS, not to be argumentative but there are some other points to consider. I actually do carry extra lenses. In fact, I have extra of everything when I go on a paying job. That's what separates a professional from an amateur (I'm not talking about how well someone photographs here which would have to do with skill level. I'm talking about the business aspect). I even have backup photographers in the event I do have an accident. Wal-mart won't shut down if a shift manager can't make it, but being your customer only gets one wedding, you'd better have a backup plan in case something happens because if it does, your customer is SOL. I also highly recommend business insurance.

Also, there are other things involved with lenses to take into consideration such as chromatic aberration, distortion, etc. I just wanted to point these out in case you hadn't thought of them. :D

Thanks for all of the reality checks. I was very excited about this opportunity when my cousin asked me to do his wedding. I immediatly got on here for pointers. Then the slap in the face of all the "what if's" hit me, but I like the realistic warnings better than just thinking that nothing can go wrong. I am not discouraged by the warnings, I am just happy that I have 15 months to prepare.

As far as new glass I'm going with the Super Wide Angle AF 17-55 f 2.8.

That flies in the face of every professional opinion you will find on the subject. If you're shooting weddings, you need to have a second body. Can you get lucky and not have equipment failure? Sure. What happens when it occurs and you're not prepared?

It's bad enough when you're doing it for money, it's worse when you're doing it for friends/family. If you ruin a brides wedding because you're shooting weddings unprepared, she's not going to forgive you anytime soon. Weddings aren't something you can do "re-dos" on. You got one chance to get the important shots. If you screw it up, bad things will happen. You'll get sued or you'll stress an otherwise good relationship.

If you're not ready to shoot a wedding, don't do it.

Last edited:
Oh give me a break. The ONLY thing that matters on those lenses is the focal range, and the aperture. Not knowing what an ED of IF or G lens is no more makes someone a noob than knowing it somehow makes you a master.

As for the lenses you might find yourself needing:

85MM F/1.8 (or the 1.4 if money is no object)
24-70 F/2.8 (or really any autofocus iteration of this lens)
70-200 VR F/2.8 (or the 80-200 F/2.8)

Hmmm, I agree that some of the technical aspects of lenses (such as in the lens descriptions) does not need to be understood.

But, I have to agree with Amanda that it is not a good idea to not have a backup (of EVERYTHING). In fact, everything you mention here should have a backup (Camera body, lenses, another person and even a backup ride - just in case) because equipment fails.

Imagine having to explain to your bride and groom that you cannot continue to shoot because of an equipment failure...

Thanks for all of the reality checks. I was very excited about this opportunity when my cousin asked me to do his wedding. I immediatly got on here for pointers. Then the slap in the face of all the "what if's" hit me, but I like the realistic warnings better than just thinking that nothing can go wrong. I am not discouraged by the warnings, I am just happy that I have 15 months to prepare.

Weddings are serious business... :) As I just mentioned, you can seriously stress a relationship if you screw up someones wedding. Be as prepared as you can be. I have a number of good books on the subject which might be of interest to you.

You need to learn all sorts of things ranging from how to shoot in natural light, low light, how to avoid blowing out a white dress, how to get flattering shots of someone, etc.

A 17-55 is a good place to start, but you need to be careful about using wide angles. Wide angle shots produce unflattering images (portraits). I've found that the 70-200 range is more useful for things like weddings. If I could take only two of my lenses to a wedding, I would take my 24-70 and my 70-200.

Be sure you bone up on using a flash. This will be absolutely critical to getting good images at a weddings/reception. At my first wedding I realized just how much I needed to learn about using a flash in a reception hall. :)

Here's the bonus, it's an outdoor wedding they are having it in his parents backyard. So living in the midwest my next concern is weather since here in Missouri it can go from 90 to snowing without a moments notice. But September is fairly predictable. I currently spend most of my time shooting in natural lighting now so I am not too worried about that.

Also, I have a wishlist growing on B&H. Do any of you use a Metz shoe mount flash?

I think you made a good lens choice here. With the body you are using it's perfect. I would suggest renting a 70-200mm lens becuase it's a really good lens to use for the ceremony to get in close (especially when you shoot from the back). Those two lenses will give you the focal range you need, and for those very low light situations at least consider a high speed prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back