Lighting Issue

dreena76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going to be shooting a wedding reception. I haven't been to the reception hall to see the lighting, but I am assuming that it will probably have very little lighting during the reception. My concern is this: I have a Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XTI 400D and the flash that is built in is the only flash I have. I have no tripod (this is not going to be good)! I want to be sure to set my camera up to get the best pictures I can, but I am concerned that the standard flash will not be enough. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get enough light into my pictures? I need some advice before 11/08/08!

Thanks

Last edited:
Is a 50mm f/1.8 lens out of the budget? They should be had for less than $200 and are an absolute godsend.

Also don't be afraid to push the ISO. A high ISO picture with careful noise reduction is far better than a shaky picture, or no picture at all.

I use an IANARO video lighting kit. The bulbs are 1,000 watt halogens: one wide on the dance floor and one wide on the head table does the trick. I only turn them on when I am shooting some of the important and wider angle shots. I mix that with moving in closer and using flash with a diffuser on the flash or a polarizer on the lens to reduce the harshness of the light.

skieur

Rent a flash, tripod, and a couple of lenses. Maybe a 70-200 f2.8 and a 24-70 f2.8, and maybe a nifty fifty. Rent an SB800. Maybe an extra body. Actually if thats all you have you may want to consider declining the offer unless you are some great shot with no gear.

Get an accessory flash (not the SB800, that's for Nikon)...I'd suggest the 430EX or the 580EX. If you can't buy one, then rent or borrow if you can. Then at the reception, bounce the flash off of walls or the ceiling if possible. This will make a dramatic difference over using the built-in flash.

1. For a wedding reception, don't bring a tripod....things are too spontanious for that.

2. Buy or rent a 580ex flash.

3. Spend $25 for an L flash frame, to mount the flash off-center and high above the camera.

4. Get an Omni-bounce diffuser (it's cheap $20).

5. Rent/buy these cheapo fast primes: 50mm F1.8 or F1.4, and 28mm F1.8. 50 is too long in reach for some shots...that's where the 28mm comes in.

6. Rent/buy this: Canon 24-70L F2.8. use this for most shots, but the fast primes for those shots with more challanging light issues.

7. Shoot only in raw. Flash all the images. Leave the available light for more seasoned shooters.

8. When shooting more then one person, be mindful of the required depth-of-field and you control this with (1) distance from subject, (2) apertuer setting (F-stop), and (3) focal length.

9. Manually pick and choose the appropriate focus point, and try not to recompose after AF lock.

10. Rent/borrow a back up camera body and flash too.

11. Built in flash sucks...you will be sorry if you use it.

Ok, now I suggest fast glass so that your camera can acquire focus lock faster and easier then if you used a slow lens. This is a valid for reason fast glass even if you never need faster then F4....but you will.

If you have time to learn, google "dragging the shutter". If you don't have time shoot in P mode, but the pictures will be so-so. Learn how to shoot with the body in manual, flash in full auto so that it takes advantage of E-TTL.

There is so much more I didn't mention here for lack of time....but this is a start....will there be a pro there as the primary shooter? I hope so, for the sake of the bride & groom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back