Lighting Techniques?

Sharpiks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there, I was just wondering about lightning techniques, and a few that I could try.. I've heard a few people tell me that my photos are good (biased friends) but I should try different lighting techniques and angles.

Any thoughts? I'm just starting out, and while I've read a few books I'm still kinda noobish if you ask me.

Last edited:
well do you have any lighting gear. off camera flash? reflectors?

let us know what you got

well do you have any lighting gear. off camera flash? reflectors?

let us know what you got
Nope. All I have is a camera, and a pocket tri-pod. And at least four different flash modes. Auto-Flash, Red-eye Reduction flash, Always On, Slow Sync. flash and Off.

Not to many people will click on your link.

You'll get a lot more comments if you post 2 or 3 photos at a time for critique.

In case you need it:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html
My bad.. Updated the first post.

Last edited:
well that being said. i guess you could try working with reflectors and natural light to get some different effects. you can use a white board (for like $2) as a reflector.

It's probably just me but the big advertisement for deviantart right in the middle of the pixs is pretty distracting.

Light wise the car photo is fine as it is though it could have been made more dramatic with off camera flash.

As far as art wise the compostion is unusual (only part of the car marquee is visible) and the background detracts from the main subject, the car. The main problem with the background is it's part brick wall and part blownout sky. In art, light advances and dark recedes. There are better locations for car shots.

#2 needed modified fill flash. As aways, off camera flash usually looks way better than the pop up flash.

#3 again has a blownout background. Strobed light (flash) allows balancing a bright background like that with the strobed light so the background doesn't get blown.

Blown means there is no visual detail in that part of the image, it's just pure white.

Yeah, I get what blown means.. I've been trying to figure out how the stop it for awhile, but flash never came to mind.. Thanks for the tips.

As for the advertisements/watermarks, I just hot linked to the actual images. I works.. But now these ones:

All_Alone_by_Sharpiks.jpg

Dont_tread_on_me_by_Sharpiks.jpg

Lonesomeness_by_Sharpiks.jpg

Not a big fan of #2, but I think out of the ones I've taken so far #1 and #3 are my favorites.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back