Looking for yet another critique

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get some critiques on this photo. 1st is the original. The 2nd has PP done to the sky. Did I overdo the blue on it? Any critiques is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1.)
jonrutten.jpg

2.)
jonrutten%20Redone.jpg

It looks a little heavy-handed to me. Very purply in a not especially natural way. The way you edited it also left a sharp white edge on the lamp post.

I think the color of the sky is fine in the original. It's not like it's blown out or anything.

in my opinion, the lamp post totally kills the image...i might consider a portrait crop and dump the post.
and i totally agree with elemental...that edit is not adding anything to the image. did you use the neon glow filter? i see glowy edges on the horizon (which is perfectly straight, so good job on that!), and also on the vert edges of the post.

keep shootin'

Thanks to both of you. For the PP, I used PS6. I lasso'd the sky and then played the with Hue, saturation, and Lightness. I didn't use any type of filter. I think what that is is the muck line. That is Lake Michigan and you could definately see the muck line out there.

At 1st the original looked blown out to me, but now that I look at it again, I don't think it look bad now.

I'll have to try to crop out the pole and see what it'll look like when it's blown up to an 8x10.

Thanks again,

Thanks to both of you. For the PP, I used PS6. I lasso'd the sky and then played the with Hue, saturation, and Lightness. I didn't use any type of filter. I think what that is is the muck line. That is Lake Michigan and you could definately see the muck line out there.

At 1st the original looked blown out to me, but now that I look at it again, I don't think it look bad now.

I'll have to try to crop out the pole and see what it'll look like when it's blown up to an 8x10.

Thanks again,
why crop when you can clone most of it out and if you really have too much time on your hands you can clone out the whole thing and play with the shadow

why crop when you can clone most of it out and if you really have too much time on your hands you can clone out the whole thing and play with the shadow

Cropping is much easier, considering I don't know how to use the cloning tool.:lmao:

What does the cloning tool actually do? I may have to look into it.

Thanks for the input.

Cloning can copy one part of the picture onto another part of the picture. I think you hit ctrl and click the area you want to copy, then click around the area you want to copy it too. It is helpful if you want to remove some small piece of garbage from a scene for example. It is much more time consuming if there is a large object. You clone something that you think looks like what is behind the thing you want to take out.

Also, if you want to try selecting things and changing them in the future, after you select it, try feathering the selection. You can play around with what settings to use on the feathering, but that should help take out the hard white line.

I agree that the original has a nice enough color, you'd rather the attention be drawn to the people rather than the sky. On that note, I think a profile crop that took out the pole would be a good idea too.

It is a very nice and natural pose! I like the way they're obviously posing for the photo, but are not doing the standard toothpaste smile, it is more relaxed and comfortable.

Cloning can copy one part of the picture onto another part of the picture. I think you hit ctrl and click the area you want to copy, then click around the area you want to copy it too. It is helpful if you want to remove some small piece of garbage from a scene for example. It is much more time consuming if there is a large object. You clone something that you think looks like what is behind the thing you want to take out.

Also, if you want to try selecting things and changing them in the future, after you select it, try feathering the selection. You can play around with what settings to use on the feathering, but that should help take out the hard white line.

I agree that the original has a nice enough color, you'd rather the attention be drawn to the people rather than the sky. On that note, I think a profile crop that took out the pole would be a good idea too.

It is a very nice and natural pose! I like the way they're obviously posing for the photo, but are not doing the standard toothpaste smile, it is more relaxed and comfortable.

Thank you Eldrich. After I wrote the post, I used my good friend Google to see how to use the Clone tool. Very nice. Thank you for the comment on the picture. Before I approched them, that is the way they were sitting. So it was pretty much natural. The 2nd picture I took of them, the guy was smiling and didn't like it. I will have to try both the crop and the clone tonight, since I left my laptop at home.:grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back