Macro Photography

Thru_These_Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone please explain what Macro Photog is? What do you need to do it, how can you achieve it, does it require photoshop enhancements????
I keep hearing about it and I want to know what it is. I have also seen pictures and I am dying to try it.
Is it achievable with my Canon Rebel XTi? What lens would I use?:hail::hail::hail: I need to know EVERYTHING pleaseeeee! :)

There are two ways to do Macro Photography:
1) with filters that magnify the subject
2) With a Macro lens that has a 1:1 or higher ratio

The second way produces better pictures. The 1:1 ratio is representing the magnification of the camera. Check out this article for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography

Or, you can use whichever lens you have with a set of extension tubes (they go between the lens and the camera). These extend the focal length while using the same glass which causes magnification. You will have no degradation in the quality of photo because there will not be anything between the lens and the sensor/film.

Macro photography is creating 'close-up' images, you don't actually have to be very close up depending on the length of your macro lens. True macro means that the size of the image on your film or sensor is at least the same size as the actual object being photographed but that meaning is often ignored. Many lenses and point and shoot cameras can be used in macro mode. A specialty macro lens will usually be in sharpest focus at close range though it will probably be able to focus out to infinity if needed.

Does that help?

I have a set of extension tubes, but i want to get a true macro lens, the extension tubes are a bit of a pain to use, the focus distance is minute, and the other day, i was trying my 135 MM lens with a 20 mm ext tube on it, and noticed a baby rabbit in the yard, i could get fairly close to it, but with the extension tube on, i couldn't focus on it, so i didn't get the shot, if i had been using a regular macro lens, i would have got the shot !

i would have got the shot !

It's probably a good thing you didn't shoot that baby rabbit!:camera::Joker::taped sh::clap::scratch::puke::banghead:

I just put in the order for my macro lens.

have a good one
3Eo

I have a set of extension tubes, but i want to get a true macro lens, the extension tubes are a bit of a pain to use, the focus distance is minute, and the other day, i was trying my 135 MM lens with a 20 mm ext tube on it, and noticed a baby rabbit in the yard, i could get fairly close to it, but with the extension tube on, i couldn't focus on it, so i didn't get the shot, if i had been using a regular macro lens, i would have got the shot !

True but the are fantastic if you don't want to pay for a full macro lens. The fact is a macro lens only makes sense if you really like to take a different view on the world. Just like a fisheye. If this is something you want to try and not something you are genuinely interested in filters or tubes make far more financial sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back