majoring in photography?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by er111a, Mar 29, 2010.

1. er111a

er111a TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    would it be a good idea

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well...

3. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is such an open question.

How old are you?
    What interests do you have?
    Have you set any goals in your life?
    Do you understand how to set goals?
    What do you see yourself doing in 25 years?

I ask these questions without really knowing how old you are and your backround...so they may not all be relevant.

Maybe explain a little about yourself without providing too much unnecessary detail.

P.S.
    When I was young, I had no direction. It took me about 10 years past highschool to take my first step in the right direction.
    "If I only knew back then what I know today"

4. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no. i've seen it time and time again (not just with photographers, but actors and singers, etc)... use this time in college wisely and valuably... get a degree in a field that has job openings and will pay the bills right out of college. Photography might not. I know a brilliant guy who has a masters in opera or something, and has the most beautiful voice, but is 28 years old and waiting tables because he can't get work. Take photography classes and maybe even pursue a minor if you wanted to... but in my opinion, i definitely would not let that be my one and only degree and trying to make it out in this recession... yes, many are very sucessful, but its such a risk...

5. er111a

er111a TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    16 sophomore and enjoy taking photos ALOT

6. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It takes alot more then liking photography to make a living out of it. Also seeing that "wanna go pro" in your signiture makes me think you wanna be a pro for the wrong reasons. Hell im only a junior in highschool and photography is pretty much my life but i dont think im gonna be majoring in photography.

7. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you think you would enjoy learning the process of creating photographs and just being in that environment, then yes, go for it. That is what I am doing right now and I love it. I did not enroll with hopes and dreams that someday I'd be a professional photographer. I just don't see that happening. The process and the experience is what makes me happy, not the prospect of making money.

So I guess you have to determine what you want out of it. Just keep in mind that with art-related fields, your portfolio will be more important than any degree.

8. hopeadelaide

hopeadelaide TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    DON'T DO IT.

9. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Opera singer is a poor analogy to photography. Sorry.
    If I had followed jackies advice, I'd be an art teacher in some high school, rather than doing what I love and making a living at it. I would forever regret "playing it safe".

That said, er1114a, you have plenty of time to decide. Who knows what other subject(s) may strike your fancy between now and your sophmore year of college (when many majors change). Who knows, maybe you have a future in Communications?

Ding!

10. gardy90

gardy90 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i had thought about the same thing back in HS but like said before it may not always be practical, if anything you could have a major in something and a minor in photography. hell i joined the air force right out of high school, now am very close to a degree in electronic engineering, and will be starting soon on a degree in criminal psychology. i personally think you cant go wrong with enlisting tho...;) lol

11. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    my opinion to the OPs question was in no way an attack to you Bitter or anyone else majoring in photography. I do'nt think it was a poor analogy at all... i'm sure the guy i know wishes he could get paid doing the fine arts he enjoys doing so much but he can't right now and instead of working as an indespensable commodity in society like many of his other fellow graduates, he's waiting tables with 18 year olds... and I'm sure there are many photography majors out there like him. Had he got a degree in engineering or law and sang on the side has a hobby his life may be completely different than spending his time trying to "make it"

You're very fortunate you are able to make money doing what you love... but a lot of people aren't so. How many theatre majors want to be paid actors, and how many actually are???

I think in this economy and getting the chance to go to college (because God knows how hard it is to go back once you've got house, baby, job, bills...), i think playing it safe is a very smart decision that will help solidify his future. He may never use that degree and end up being the next Ansel Adams... but at least he has something to fall back on....

DING!!!!

12. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'd be better majoring in business and marketing at this point.

Also, it's really obnoxious to bump your own thread 6 MINUTES after your original post.