majoring in photography?

That is such an open question.

How old are you?
What interests do you have?
Have you set any goals in your life?
Do you understand how to set goals?
What do you see yourself doing in 25 years?

I ask these questions without really knowing how old you are and your backround...so they may not all be relevant.

Maybe explain a little about yourself without providing too much unnecessary detail.

P.S.
When I was young, I had no direction. It took me about 10 years past highschool to take my first step in the right direction.
"If I only knew back then what I know today"

no. i've seen it time and time again (not just with photographers, but actors and singers, etc)... use this time in college wisely and valuably... get a degree in a field that has job openings and will pay the bills right out of college. Photography might not. I know a brilliant guy who has a masters in opera or something, and has the most beautiful voice, but is 28 years old and waiting tables because he can't get work. Take photography classes and maybe even pursue a minor if you wanted to... but in my opinion, i definitely would not let that be my one and only degree and trying to make it out in this recession... yes, many are very sucessful, but its such a risk...

16 sophomore and enjoy taking photos ALOT

It takes alot more then liking photography to make a living out of it. Also seeing that "wanna go pro" in your signiture makes me think you wanna be a pro for the wrong reasons. Hell im only a junior in highschool and photography is pretty much my life but i dont think im gonna be majoring in photography.

If you think you would enjoy learning the process of creating photographs and just being in that environment, then yes, go for it. That is what I am doing right now and I love it. I did not enroll with hopes and dreams that someday I'd be a professional photographer. I just don't see that happening. The process and the experience is what makes me happy, not the prospect of making money.

So I guess you have to determine what you want out of it. Just keep in mind that with art-related fields, your portfolio will be more important than any degree.

Opera singer is a poor analogy to photography. Sorry.
If I had followed jackies advice, I'd be an art teacher in some high school, rather than doing what I love and making a living at it. I would forever regret "playing it safe".

That said, er1114a, you have plenty of time to decide. Who knows what other subject(s) may strike your fancy between now and your sophmore year of college (when many majors change). Who knows, maybe you have a future in Communications?

Just keep in mind that with art-related fields, your portfolio will be more important than any degree.
Ding!

i had thought about the same thing back in HS but like said before it may not always be practical, if anything you could have a major in something and a minor in photography. hell i joined the air force right out of high school, now am very close to a degree in electronic engineering, and will be starting soon on a degree in criminal psychology. i personally think you cant go wrong with enlisting tho...;) lol

my opinion to the OPs question was in no way an attack to you Bitter or anyone else majoring in photography. I do'nt think it was a poor analogy at all... i'm sure the guy i know wishes he could get paid doing the fine arts he enjoys doing so much but he can't right now and instead of working as an indespensable commodity in society like many of his other fellow graduates, he's waiting tables with 18 year olds... and I'm sure there are many photography majors out there like him. Had he got a degree in engineering or law and sang on the side has a hobby his life may be completely different than spending his time trying to "make it"

You're very fortunate you are able to make money doing what you love... but a lot of people aren't so. How many theatre majors want to be paid actors, and how many actually are???

I think in this economy and getting the chance to go to college (because God knows how hard it is to go back once you've got house, baby, job, bills...), i think playing it safe is a very smart decision that will help solidify his future. He may never use that degree and end up being the next Ansel Adams... but at least he has something to fall back on....

DING!!!!

You'd be better majoring in business and marketing at this point.

Also, it's really obnoxious to bump your own thread 6 MINUTES after your original post.

I didn't take it as an "attack."

I have heard your song and dance for many years. I am quite thankful that I followed my passion, rather than having played it safe, and listened to all those who "knew better". Blah blah, money, blah blah, security, blah blah.

Two sides to the coin.

I can walk around my city and point to many, many, many succesful local small businesses run by people who have a passion for what they do. A large percentage of them quit those "safe" jobs you speak of. They decided to take the risk, and follow their dream, and made it. I can also walk around during lunch time and see many unhappy people in suits. I can't help but wonder what they would rather be doing.

I also appreciate your tip of the hat to "the economy".
What advice would you have given me 6 months ago if I came asking your opinion on whether or not now, while jobs are at an all time low, gold is at an all time high, is the right time to open a business selling an absolutely useless luxury item?

Acknowledge the two sides of the coin.
I am not a singularity. My situation isn't "rare".
I had to work pretty darm hard, for a long time to prove myself.
Isn't it the same being an engineer, or lawyer?
Then whats the difference, other than telling someone to ignore their passion, and play it safe?

Can an opera singer set up a corner studio and sell his/her services? How many job opportunities are available for an opera singer, anyway?

Can a photographer set up a corner studio and offer his/her services? How many job opportunities are available for a phtographer?

The opera singer is a poor analogy.

Last edited:
I'm in school for photography right now, and have been for the last 4 years.

DON'T DO IT.

As opposed to spending 20 grand a year at art school, spend 20 grand a year on gear and studio space.

do test after test after test with relevant materials, people, and stylists, and network the sh*t out of yourself. Don't whore yourself out, but try to meet and know everyone who's anyone. It's not easy, and it takes a while, but i've seen people who 5 years ago, had never touched a DSLR in their life and are making a solid living shooting now for big clients like nike and adidas.

Aside from the fine art aspect, which few schools will give you, photography schools ala Brooks/Hallmark/Art Institutes don't teach art, they teach grip and formula.

You can easily learn photography yourself if you've got enough drive. 'bout the only thing they'll give you is limited exposure to the grip so when you assist, you'll know what a c-stand, box clamp, seamless, and a boom is and how to set them up.

Unless you want to teach it at the collegiate level, a degree in photography won't give you sh*t, and a bachelors isn't even good enough for that. It's not like you're learning to become a doctor or a lawyer.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you'd have spent the money on schooling better if you were to major in business of some sort (don't know what school you want to attend).

Like KmH says all the time, learn the business side...that will be what ultimately makes or breaks your success as a "Pro". Learn to run a successful small business and how to be a successful entrepreneur and the money will be much easier to come by after you graduate. That's not saying you can't take a photo class or two in college, most bachelor's degrees require you to take a few "elective" classes (basically fun classes if you're not going to minor in anything specific), use the elective slots for your photo classes.

Get to know the head of the art/photo department and develop a working relationship with him/her, take a few courses they teach, then...when you're done with elective slots, you can bring him/her your work and they won't mind giving you a teachers perspective on shots, being a former student of his/hers. Not to mention, heads of departments OFTEN have birdies whisper in their ears when jobs/clients become available...your number in their cellphone would be VERY valuable in the beginning.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back