Manual Power on my Flash

burnws6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do I control the power output on my SB600 when I'm shooting in commander mode using Nikon's CLS??

It doesn't seem to give me the option when I shoot in that mode.

Last edited:
Put your SB-600 into remote mode:
  • Power up the Speedlight.
  • At the same time press ZOOM and the - button for 2 seconds or more.
  • Press the + button till you see the sharp curve symbol with the arrow head on the bottom and pointing right (#2 on pg. 14 of the manual).
  • Press the MODE button till you see ON.
  • Press the ON/OFF button.
  • Press the MODE button to navigate to CHANNEL
  • Press + or - to select the same channel you have set in the Commander mode of the camera. If the SB-600 is the only speedlight you're wanting to control, use Channel 1, group A.
  • Press the MODE button to navigate to GROUP.
  • Press the + or - button to select the GROUP the cameras Commander is set to.
  • Make sure the light sensor window for wireless remote flash on the SB-600 is visible from the camera position.
  • Make the Image.
Have another look at your SB-600 users manuals "Advanced Operations" section beginning on page 58.

There are several books available that describe the Nikon Creative Lighting System in a more palatable way than the manual does. Look for the one written by Mike Hagen. It's pretty good.

• Press the + button till you see the sharp curve symbol with the arrow head on the bottom and pointing right (#2 on pg. 14 of the manual).
  • Press + or - to select the same channel you have set in the Commander mode of the camera. If the SB-600 is the only speedlight you're wanting to control, use Channel 1, group A.
  • Make sure the light sensor window for wireless remote flash on the SB-600 is visible from the camera position.
  • Make the Image.
Have another look at your SB-600 users manuals "Advanced Operations" section beginning on page 58.

There are several books available that describe the Nikon Creative Lighting System in a more palatable way than the manual does. Look for the one written by Mike Hagen. It's pretty good.
FURTHERMORE,
In the camera - flash settings, you'll have an option to set of your sb600 in TTL, A and M modes. If you aren't familiar with Manual controls, keep it in ttl or auto.
:)

• Make the Image.

• Make the Image.

FURTHERMORE,
In the camera - flash settings, you'll have an option to set of your sb600 in TTL, A and M modes. If you aren't familiar with Manual controls, keep it in ttl or auto.
:)

Yes, lol, I know this. I guess I didn't explain myself enough. Once I do the before mentioned, I then have to select at what power my flash is going to fire off at. I can do that in commander mode, and decide if I want it at full, 1/4 ; 1/8 and so on.... but is there a way to do it on the flash itself.

Just like when you're using your pocket wizards and you can set the power manually on the flash itself. I'm trying to figure out if its just a feature the sb600 doesn't have, or if it's the commander mode itself that doesn't allow it to be changed except from the camera.

Thanks for the post though anyways guys.

when in CLS, you can't select on-flash the amount of power coming out. you can only adjust the zoom of the flash.
What I like about M is that it eats less juice but then it would be ideal for subject NOT moving around much. Othertimes, I just TTL or A the flashes and add/subtract compensation.

when in CLS, you can't select on-flash the amount of power coming out. you can only adjust the zoom of the flash.
What I like about M is that it eats less juice but then it would be ideal for subject NOT moving around much. Othertimes, I just TTL or A the flashes and add/subtract compensation.

There we go, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks man.

Most reactions

Back