Medium Format Newb

terri said:
...and not have to spend a ton of money.

I'd be hard pressed telling someone, especially a beginner on a budget, not to waste money on a format that's more affordable than ever, built like tanks, and still offers quality glass that will afford them years of casual shooting pleasure.

But I don't really think they are saving much money going with 645. The gear really isn't much cheaper. You get 6 more shots for your film cost + developing cost, but then again you will pay for 6 more prints per roll too. Unless they are shooting a dozen or more rolls a week I don't think they'll see much savings at all.

Almost all medium format film gear is more affordable than ever, and the size of the format has nothing to do with body or lens quality. On the other hand, a neg that's twice as big...well, everyone knows that bigger is better. ;)

I'm just suggesting that a beginner investing in medium format really think about what they need/want, instead of assuming that the next size up from 35mm is the logical starting place. There are so many options with medium format cameras, especially compared to the homogenized world of 35mm SLRs.

This is not at all wholly true but I think is to some extent. Medium format is more of a contemplatative or at least slower process than 35mm. You could walk around the streets with a MF SLR taking pictures but it wouldn't be as practical or easy as with a 35mm. Usually they need a tripod and so auotmatically reduces what they can be used for with ease. So they are great for portraits editorial work eg fashion magazines and also landscapes all of which are hasty photograpy usually.

So I think maybe you need less shots as if you have a proper process you're less likely to get dud shots.

mysteryscribe said:
The flip side of less shots = more thought is,

More shots = more spontenaity ie photo journalist style.

Pick your poison..

Yep I agree with that but I would use 35mm for that not 645 instead of 6x7.

How many shots are taken is decided mostly by the photographer not the gear, and spontaneity is a human trait, not a camera feature. Sure a photog could possibly take hundreds of shots in an hour with a 35mm SLR or DSLR, but they could also just take one. Just because some photogs might be inclined to shoot less shots with 4x5 or 6x7cm, doesn't mean that I have to think and operate that way.

Control the camera, don't let the camera control you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back