Monolight suggestions?

Luxowell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm getting really tired of renting a light kit at my local photo shop when I have a shoot to do. That once rare occasion is now turning more frequent, and I decided I just need to pony up and buy my own.
Now...
I really prefer to use softboxes, but could certainly make due with umbrellas and upgrade later...
A 2 light setup would probably be plently for me to start with for now...
And, honestly, money is a bit tight for me usually, so while I'd love a really nice $1000 set, it's definately more than I can afford, and probably more than I need.
I mostly need them for small weddings and small (non group) portrait work.
If anyone has any affordable suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Do a search on Amazon, there are many options there... but no matter what, you will get what you pay for. A saying amongst portrait photographers is... you replace your cameras often, but you should buy your lights only once.

Alien Bees seem to be somewhat popular at reasonable prices, check those out too.

Alienbees are quite popular, especially among the amateur & new pro crowd. They are a decent product at a pretty competitive price. I've got a few and I am quite happy with them.
There are, of course, other brands...so look around.

I agree with the sentiment of what Jerry is saying. Don't cheap out too much on your lights, because you will end up having to replace them a lot sooner than you will want to. Spend the money up front and use them for a long time.

Elinchrom dlites might be a better alternative to the AB's. They're priced similar but more consistent. Users of the AB lights were complaining at a color shift when the lights' power was turned down. Some one did a test an came up with a pretty big color shift at the lower temperture. Everything turns out magenta.

Not really similarly priced. The AB400s are available for $225ea and the D-lite 4's are priced at $375ea. For a pro the $250 difference is minimal, but for the home enthusiast, the difference may push them towards the ABs, if they shoot RAW and the colour shifts are not terribly obvious.

Mike, is this something that you can confirm? Do you get colour cast differences at different power outputs?

I've never tested that specifically, so I can't confirm or deny. I haven't noticed any color problems with the lights themselves.
I usually use them at around 1/8 to 1/2 power...so I'm not mixing high and low power settings on different lights.

Yeah, whenever I do get to use a kit, it's usually at a pretty low power setting... and I tend to shoot in raw, just for safety sake more than anything else (it's saved my ass a few times)

Not really similarly priced. The AB400s are available for $225ea and the D-lite 4's are priced at $375ea. For a pro the $250 difference is minimal, but for the home enthusiast, the difference may push them towards the ABs, if they shoot RAW and the colour shifts are not terribly obvious.

Mike, is this something that you can confirm? Do you get colour cast differences at different power outputs?

You should probably compare the AB400's and the D-lite 2's for price as well as the AB800 and the D-lite 4's.

The 400's and 2's put out close to the same wattage with the d-lite 2 putting out a little more and the same with the 800's vs the 4's.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=443418&highlight=alien+bees

have a poke around your local Henry's...unless you have no henry's...I know they have a two light/umbrella/stand kit for like 200 bucks
Good deal..plus you can always add to the kit as you go....I think its a great starter

have a poke around your local Henry's...unless you have no henry's...I know they have a two light/umbrella/stand kit for like 200 bucks
Good deal..plus you can always add to the kit as you go....I think its a great starter
For $200...it's probably a constant light system, rather than a strobe.

I have a Bowens 750 which is an execellent double head light kit. it would be at the high end of your price range however.
My top tip is to buy the battery pack at the same time as this will save you money in the long run. But watch out it only comes with one power cable even though the battery can power two lights!! Cheeky bowens makes you buy the second cable extra.

Nick

Looks nice, is probably quite cheap in terms of quality.

How serious are you planning to take this? If its for futzing around, sure go for it... but if you are planning to get even a bit serious about it, I'd definately recommend that you hold off, save up for a proper kit and be happy for many years.

Personally, I would not look at anything under 400 W/s and I would be happier with something in the 600-800 or more range. Under 200 W/s, you are pretty much limiting yourself to 1 maybe 2 poeple maximum sized portraits that are properly lit.

Yeah, I know I'm limiting myself, but I'm thinking, for under $300, get something to practice my technique at home, then save up and start getting things like alien bee lights, and I'll already have all the stands, umbrellas, and what not. I'm not sure about speed rings though for the softboxes... are they fairly universal in size?
I usually rent a 4 light set up that is 400 watts each, and I find, using only 2 bounced off umbrellas they seem a bit too bright.
Yeah, so, I may go ahead and get this, then upgrade as I can. I do some low-rent wedding stuff, but I usually try to use as much available light and reflectors as I can, using flashes mostly for fill lighting.
My work so far has been a lot of "word of mouth", and I'm really sick of sinking $60 everytime I need them... but at this point, work isn't busy enough for me to justify to the wife spending $600+ for some lights. Plus, there are a few lenses I'd rather be buying once I'm in that price range.

I usually rent a 4 light set up that is 400 watts each, and I find, using only 2 bounced off umbrellas they seem a bit too bright.

That comment right there tells me that you are really not sure of what you are doing. Too bright? Don't you use a meter? Histograms?

;)

Personally, if you are doing this for money, you are tossing money out the window, and thats $300 you will never see again or are purchasing things that will likely break after 2-3 uses.

As for ringlights and strobe accessories and what not, nope, they are certainly not universal.

I think you will end up purchasing what you like, but hey, whatever makes you happy is all that counts.

Good luck! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back