Moving flash off camera, what do I NEED?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RMThompson, Jun 22, 2008.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all, I'd like to find the best (read: most inexpensive) way to move my SB800 off camera.

I know I need some sort of stand for the flash, with the hole for an umbrella, but I dont know know even HOW to start shopping for this part.

Also i need some way to trigger the flash from the D50 (and I cant rely on the D50's own flash)... I know their are wired and wireless options, but again, no IDEA what to buy.

Anyone help?

2. Rogan

Rogan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. bigalbest

bigalbest TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pocket Wizards work very well. You connect one to your camera and one to each flash. They are about $200 each and you might need connectors/adapters depending on which flash/camera combo you're using (I don't know what you'll need for the D50).

I've heard good things about the a couple other brands but haven't used myself. Radio Popper Elinchrom Skyport

You can find Cactus/GI transmitters and receivers on ebay for very reasonable prices but these suffer from some reliability issues.

Nikon has a Commander for off camera lighting (I've used Canon's ST-E2) and while I can't speak for the Nikon unit if it's anything like Canon's forget it, there are problems with line of sight and interference from things as simple as bright light.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could use a cable...all you need is a hot shoe to PC adaptor for the camera, and maybe a PC to hot shoe adaptor for the flash (if the flash doesn't have a PC connection already).

As mentioned, there are a few ways to go wireless. Pocket Wizards are probably the best but very expensive. The Skyports are pretty good for less money and the G.I. / Cactus triggers are dirt cheap but are not as reliable.

As for the stand, a standard light stand with 5/8" stud will be fine, and the piece you want for the top is something like THIS.

5. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    For my SB-600, I use a Nikon SC-28 flash sync cable. It's about £50, and IMO it is more reliable than virtually any wireless system. I mean, there is almost nothing at all that can go wrong, it's a direct extension of your flash. TTL, i-TTL, zoom levels, everything is kept. Of course, you won't get the freedom of a wireless kit, but you can do a surprising amount with it.

If you can, I'd recommend getting a couple of slave flashes, and using the SB-800 to trigger them. You'll be able to use both flashes to their best then. Good luck! It's a big world out there :D.

6. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK so far my BH shopping cart has this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90051-REG/Morris_32012_Light_Stand_8_5_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37086-REG/Nikon_3066_AS_15_Sync_Terminal_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300477-REG/Nikon_4765_SC_28_TTL_Off_Camera_Shoe.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42160-REG/Photoflex_AC_BSWCP_Multiclamp_with_Shoe_Mount.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/169870-REG/Bowens_BW_4036_Umbrella_Silver_and.html

Is that everything? Any ideas on anything I can do CHEAPER? (Maybe a cheaper stand?)

If I've got it all above right, this is how I understand it:

Take this part and attach it to the D50:

[​IMG]

Then use this cable to go from the D50 to the SB800:

[​IMG]

Then, the SB800 sits on top of this adapter:

[​IMG]

Which sits on this light stand:

[​IMG]

And then I attach this umbrella:

[​IMG]

Is that all correct?

7. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One additional note. I placed a strip of electrical tape to the botton of the clamp the holds the SB800 to avoid possible contact with the flashes contacts. Read it on Strobist I think.

9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Radio triggers will give you more freedom. You can buy the Gadget Infinity Catus V2S radio triggers for about $30 for a transmitter and receiver. As pointed out above, they may not be the most reliable thing out there, but they're a very good option for starting out and learning what you're doing. Then you can always upgrade if you need to.

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
  11. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have this fabulous s-shaped bracket that mounts to the top of a tripod or light stand and will hold either a gun-flash or shoe-mount flash, and will also hold a speed-ring for modifiers. It tilts and swivels, too. It was something like $25. It's amazing. I'll see if I can figure out who makes it.

12. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where can I find these? Also, what do you mean by "reliable"? Will they pop on most shots? That's the key.