My first lift!

Well its polaroid film, so you dont have to develop anyuthing, cos its instant film.

You can pick up a slide printer or a polaroid on ebay for 20-40 bucks depending on the day. I always buy my 669 from B&H, as far as I know they have the best price around, at about $23 delivered to your door, 2 packs of 10.

Its a lot of fun Corry! I think you would really like it.

I already have a poloroid camera...have had it for 8 years. I don't know if it will fit that kinda film, though. It's a poloroid one-step.

Karalee said:
No you can do lifts and transfers with a polaroidd that will accept pack film, but a slide printer will allow you to use slides that you have previously shot to make your 669 images, instead of using a polaroid.

So you can use both, but I think a slide printer has the edge slightly, againt using a polaroid camera.

Really? I have an SX70 and some TimeZero. I can do lift/transfers with that? That is GOOD news. Simpler is better to start with, so I'm going to try it. Thanks. :)

I'm starting a two-day workshop in a few weeks with Heidi Hart, and I'd like to get a bit of a head start so I can get as much as possible out of the two sessions.

hobbes28 said:
As far as I know, you can only do the lifts/transfers with any film ending with a 9 (669, 509, etc...).

Okay, that's what it is, then. My Polaroid won't take 669 without a struggle, I'm told. And Polaroid doesn't recommend it (although they do give instructions on how to do it. LOL ). *sigh* But I do have the Vivitar slide printer--just a matter of learning how to use the bloody thing. :D

Im sure you can modify your one step to take time zero, but as far as emulsion lifts and stuff are concerned, I think the film is packaged differently, so it doesnt accept 669.

Sorry bout the confusion earlier.

Darn...if I decide to look for one that does take 669 film on Ebay...what model should I look for? What price range am I looking at?

Try that Polaroid link Orie put on here, the one that lists various film types and the cameras that take them. It's the quickest way to determine what camera you should be looking for. I think the 600-series cams take those 669 film packs, but I just don't know a specific model.

Don't forget to check out slide printers on ebay, too. Vivitar is probably as cheap or even cheaper than the camera, and you can then keep the 669 film handy but shoot slide film, which is very inexpensive. :D

Ok, to make things clear for me, cuz I am confused still, are there any tutorials or anything that explains EXACTLY what you need and how to do the lifts and transfers? The poloroid manipulation is just any blunt instrument and poloroid film, preferably time-zero, right?

Yowza, I didn't expect this thread to take off so much!

First off, thanks everyone! Yes, it was fun. It was slower than I thought and I have low patience. I think doing more of these will help me practice my patience. :) I need to find a polaroid zen frame of mind.

As to all this confusion, maybe we need a technical terms sticky at the top, like in the general forum! But I am with you terri, I call em emulsion lifts and image transfers and manipulations. So everyone get used to it, those are now the official TPF terms! :p

I would highly recommend the vivitar printer also. It is SOOOO easy to use. And you can make multiples of the same thing to keep trying, whereas if you were using a camera, then you couldn't. Corry, if you want to go cheap, then polaroid might not be the best thing to do. it ain't cheap! I am already starting to feel like this is going to become a very expensive part of my work, at basically a dollar a shot.

Corry, here are the polaroid links:
Do Time-Zero SX-70 Manipulation
Image Transfer
Emulsion Lifts

Also, to my knowledge, you can only do manipulations with time-zero film (not preferred, but required). The other films dry and harden up pretty quickly, like in minutes, but time zero doesn't, which is why you can still move it around later.

You three are so full of knowledge! :) Ok...I'm thinking I'm not to interested in the image transfers right now. As for the lifts, what exactly is a receptor sheet? I mean, is it a certain kind of paper? Or just whatever paper I want? Enlighten me, ladies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back