My first time shooting a sand drag race

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by inTempus, Sep 6, 2009.

1. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm up in Michigan doing the family thing for the weekend and right next door they were having some drag races - in the sand. So I ran over with the 1D I just happened to have with me and took some shots. Not only that, I met another photog from my area that has a sports photography business and he offered me a job. :) I'll meet with him next weekend at another event to see if it's something I want to do.

Anyway...

Here are a few shots from today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? I've never shot anything like this before. It as a blast, I really enjoyed the action.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very cool...that looks like a lot of fun. I like the pics, but have one little nit with shots 3 & 4. In #'s 1 & 2, you nailed the motion in the rear wheels with the kicking of the sand (keeping everything else sharp...:thumbup:), but the tires in 3 & 4 are almost frozen with the sand kicking up behind them. It's like shooting a prop plane without a blur to the propeller...just don't look right.

3. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the feedback and you're absolutely right. I noticed this and later slowed my shutter speed down A LOT. That's why some look different than others. When I started I was shooting around 1/1250 then slowed it down to 1/320 as I too decided it didn't look right.

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wait a minute... are there two people roving around with the same avatar here or am I losing my mind? I thought tharmsen had that avatar.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Could be, don't you know who that is a picture of? It's a very-very famous photographer. I'm shocked you don't recognize him. :)

It's me, tharmsen, I just stopped using my real name.