My first wedding coming up in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I decided was to do dramatic bride videos

CinematicBride Wedding Videography - International Award Winning Wedding Videography

Here is what I found. The videos are super lame, but done really well. I'm about to start learning video. This guy emailed me back asking for 8 grand for a three minute wedding music video! Sound like something I'm ready to start learning.

You have to remember clients are who determine if price is good or not. In time I will be able to make a video that can bring in some extra at a wedding.

I'm not trolling, it's just annoying, when people tell your going to fail in the future because you've been doing this three months and people want to pay me more than what you could get for you photography.

Just because I ask alot for my "lame" art and get it doesn't mean I'm going to fail. Your opinion of my art is not how everyone else in my city feels. So to say I'm going to fail, you should expect me asking for facts to support your wild claims.

CinematicBride Wedding Videography - International Award Winning Wedding Videography

Here is what I found. The videos are super lame, but done really well. I'm about to start learning video. This guy emailed me back asking for 8 grand for a three minute wedding music video! Sound like something I'm ready to start learning.

You have to remember clients are who determine if price is good or not. In time I will be able to make a video that can bring in some extra at a wedding.

I'm not trolling, it's just annoying, when people tell your going to fail in the future because you've been doing this three months and people want to pay me more than what you could get for you photography.

Just because I ask alot for my "lame" art and get it doesn't mean I'm going to fail. Your opinion of my art is not how everyone else in my city feels. So to say I'm going to fail, you should expect me asking for facts to support your wild claims.

You seem to be projecting quite a bit.

Fact #1 ) Nobody has said you're going to fail because you've only done this three months.

Fact #2) Nobody has said your art is "lame."

Fact #3) Nobody has made "wild claims."

Actually, if you go back just a few posts, you'll see that somebody flat out told you they thought you should go ahead with the wedding.. But robbing people is not the way to do it.

Sorry dude, I do not know anything about commercial videos. Lets stick to the photography :)

I was referring to your Wedding Photos Package.

OP: this may sound harsh, but you asked for opinions. I know your main question is how to make more money, so i will answer that question in relation to the evidence i have seen about your skill level.

Want more money off people.. then rob them.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but this is what you are effectively doing anyway.
Think of it in other trades apart from photography... you are no different than a 'cowboy builder' who writes contracts to lay professional new driveways, and ends up doing a shoddy job and making off with the money.

Just because this is a photography forum doesn't mean we should all be on 'your side'... I am thinking of the poor couple that realizes when they get their prints though, that many are just not up to scratch... what will they do then, nothing it's too late.

This isn't to say every couple will have a problem with your work, but with your experience there will come a time and place where you just can't get the results that should be expected to.

You are going to charge what many seasoned and highly rated pros charge, and yet your knowledge of photography (we will leave aside the massive assumption you have about being weddings being easy) is seemingly poor.

Even the images post you have made here, although fairly good for a beginner, are not on par with what I would expect from a 3k wedding photographer. Therefore, to try and make more money at this stage I think is simply ridiculous.

I'm not saying give up though by any means. I think you should start weddings cheaper and build it up. Try and start too high and you will burn out in more ways than one. Good luck.

Your wrong.

You may think work is not up to par. The people who see my work and decide they want to pay three grand know my work is up to their par.

Your not the customer, the customer is who decides if the work is good or is not good. If you like my style then you think my work is good. If you do not like my style then you think my work is bad.

SO if you have seen my portfolio going into the wedding and you get what i showed you in my portfolio, you are happy.

You are not making sense.

Explain to me how a couple will be mad if they get what I have shown them.

If you are trying to say two shooters Megan and seth can not take on a wedding where are your facts, present them. I can deliver what they see in my portfolio. If that is not up to your standard of 3 grand that is not what matters. Art is worth what the people buying think it is worth not what some kid on the photo forum thinks because he's been taking pictures for twenty years and kid who's been doing it three months can get his business.

Ok you may well just be trolling here, so I will take what you said with a light hearted outlook.

But first. no I am not wrong.. it is my opinion, therefore it is not wrong. Not only that but I have more knowledge of starting a business, photography and weddings than you realise, you would be wise to take note of my (and others here) words, rather than just having 'beef' with everything that is said like a average youngster does.

You seem smart, and you are confident those are good things, you will need them.

To answer what you said here, think about the bigger picture.
If a girl says can you shoot my portrait outside today in 'your style', more than likely you would be able to do it yes?
That is where you argument works, because you have control over the way the image is taken.
However this isn't what we are talking about is it?
We are talking about shooting an entire occasion in a location not of your choosing, in sometimes very difficult conditions.
Adding your Photoshop plug-in or bump in saturation which you do to your images isn't going to help you then.

If you think that is also 'wrong' then you are a VERY naive youngster, and I would have hoped for you to start being smarter than that.

3000 grand comes with a edited cd of all your pictures.
Other things I offer in packages are bridals, engagements, and thankyou/invitation cards.

Aayria, since the beginning of this thread you have been of topic saying this and that about what you think is right and wrong.

I asked you what else I can charge for at a wedding.

You don't get that no one asked you or anyone else if I what I charge is to expensive, good, if I'm a pro, or any of the other bs you and lot of other people brought up.

I asked what else can I charge for a wedding. I was attacked because I said I liked money. People made entirely to many judgements and ended up determining I was going to fail because I charge high prices.

None of that was even asked.

If my attitude is not liked, then run away from this thread. I don't like snakes, I leave them alone.

From the beginning one of you girls were question my intent of even taking photos. Just please stay on topic.

OP: this may sound harsh, but you asked for opinions. I know your main question is how to make more money, so i will answer that question in relation to the evidence i have seen about your skill level.

Want more money off people.. then rob them.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but this is what you are effectively doing anyway.
Think of it in other trades apart from photography... you are no different than a 'cowboy builder' who writes contracts to lay professional new driveways, and ends up doing a shoddy job and making off with the money.

Just because this is a photography forum doesn't mean we should all be on 'your side'... I am thinking of the poor couple that realizes when they get their prints though, that many are just not up to scratch... what will they do then, nothing it's too late.

This isn't to say every couple will have a problem with your work, but with your experience there will come a time and place where you just can't get the results that should be expected to.

You are going to charge what many seasoned and highly rated pros charge, and yet your knowledge of photography (we will leave aside the massive assumption you have about being weddings being easy) is seemingly poor.

Even the images post you have made here, although fairly good for a beginner, are not on par with what I would expect from a 3k wedding photographer. Therefore, to try and make more money at this stage I think is simply ridiculous.

I'm not saying give up though by any means. I think you should start weddings cheaper and build it up. Try and start too high and you will burn out in more ways than one. Good luck.

Your wrong.

You may think work is not up to par. The people who see my work and decide they want to pay three grand know my work is up to their par.

Your not the customer, the customer is who decides if the work is good or is not good. If you like my style then you think my work is good. If you do not like my style then you think my work is bad.

SO if you have seen my portfolio going into the wedding and you get what i showed you in my portfolio, you are happy.

You are not making sense.

Explain to me how a couple will be mad if they get what I have shown them.

If you are trying to say two shooters Megan and seth can not take on a wedding where are your facts, present them. I can deliver what they see in my portfolio. If that is not up to your standard of 3 grand that is not what matters. Art is worth what the people buying think it is worth not what some kid on the photo forum thinks because he's been taking pictures for twenty years and kid who's been doing it three months can get his business.

Ok you may well just be trolling here, so I will take what you said with a light hearted outlook.

But first. no I am not wrong.. it is my opinion, therefore it is not wrong. Not only that but I have more knowledge of starting a business, photography and weddings than you realise, you would be wise to take note of my (and others here) words, rather than just having 'beef' with everything that is said like a average youngster does.

You seem smart, and you are confident those are good things, you will need them.

To answer what you said here, think about the bigger picture.
If a girl says can you shoot my portrait outside today in 'your style', more than likely you would be able to do it yes?
That is where you argument works, because you have control over the way the image is taken.
However this isn't what we are talking about is it?
We are talking about shooting an entire occasion in a location not of your choosing, in sometimes very difficult conditions.
Adding your Photoshop plug-in or bump in saturation which you do to your images isn't going to help you then.

If you think that is also 'wrong' then you are a VERY naive youngster, and I would have hoped for you to start being smarter than that.

Clever, but I'm ahead of you, I have something similar to that being said in my contract. I also have indoor photos in my portfolio.

You are implying that I can not keep up in low light situation or situations that are not my own.

I work for the paper. every day for the last month I have went to locations I have no idea about and have done a great job with keeping my style.

I know you want to call me out and get me to submit and say i'm not up to par for taking a wedding, but the truth is I practice every day. I am smart enough to know what I need to practice for.

Also, I go to the wedding practices and I'm going to practice.

Everyone always wants the bad guy to lose, but that doesn't always happen

So are essentially saying that since this is not my enviroment, and that it is fast paced I want be able to keep my style and flashes and all that want help me and I'm going to fail and my career as a photographer is not going to work until i've been at this five years.

Starting a business is not rocket science is it tough, yes, but I have a positive attitude with hard work to reinforce it. But I do understand what you mean, most people who have been taking photos for three months are not ready. Practice makes perfect, you just have to do alot of it.

I have two shooters too. NOt that that is the kicker to get you to say yeah these dudes got it.

Are you sure your images will fit on a CD, maybe you meant a DVD?
But either way, $3000 for just a CD is way over priced. Also as someone else mentioned, work on a contract and get insurance. Good luck!

That is legit. I'm working right now on learning code from w3 schools and lynda.com. Once I learn it Ill have my site up

I'm working on a site right now for night life. I'm going to go take pictures and then hand them a card where they will view my site. Clubs or promoters pay you to come out and then the traffic that you bring to your site helps you make money from advertising.

There are a couple in cities in my state and I'm going to bring it to my town. it's stuff like this is why i'm confident i'm not going to fail, in my home town I have a huge market I can capitalize on, due to everyone where I'm at has the same style, it's good, but it's that same old style. Not that mine is spectacular but it's different.

Thank you for letting me know my work is overpriced, that helps me alot with my main question.

wait, hold on here, did I mean to ask how I can make less money from each of my clients

let me ask another question

If you guys had people gladly saying yes to three grand or more and you felt you could deliver what was in your portfolio, would you guys say well let me do it for 1000.

If people say they will pay it, and if we're talking about art, I'm not sure you can say its over priced. thats up to the client. I thik home run baseballs are over priced but I'm not the decider, the buyer is

This is how the market works guys

Dang it :biglaugh:

Guys, lets pay some attention to other threads as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back