My travel photography blog - what do you think?

EONOnly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blurmyreality.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody!

I was thinking about starting my own travel photography blog for a long time. When I got some photo content, I decided to run a blog that will feature both photos and short written paragraphs telling about my trips to countries like China or Japan. Here is what I ended up with:

Blur My Reality

What do you think? I'd love to get some opinions about layout, photos and written content - English is not my native language, so I'm kind of worried that my storytelling is not as good as it should be.

Thanks!

Very nice photography! To be honest, blogs don't interest me much regardless of their content, but I did read through some of your entries, and while it's clear that English is not your native language, I had no problem understanding your prose.

Very nice photography! To be honest, blogs don't interest me much regardless of their content, but I did read through some of your entries, and while it's clear that English is not your native language, I had no problem understanding your prose.

I guess I have to try harder then. Readers understanding one's prose is definitely not enough when it comes to writing. Thank you very much for your opinion and for your kind words on my photography!

Hello everybody!

I was thinking about starting my own travel photography blog for a long time. When I got some photo content, I decided to run a blog that will feature both photos and short written paragraphs telling about my trips to countries like China or Japan. Here is what I ended up with:

Blur My Reality

What do you think? I'd love to get some opinions about layout, photos and written content - English is not my native language, so I'm kind of worried that my storytelling is not as good as it should be.

Thanks!

Really looking forward to reading it I am off to china in march!!.. I should have done a a blog on my travels

Last edited:
I must admit that I have a very distinct bias about travel blogs, even those oriented towards photography. I like to read some text that tells me something interesting about the people and their involvement in the travel - and have that text illustrated with images.
Your text is rathr bland and impersonal for my taste and the pictures are almost generic and not tied too well to the text.

Lew

Really looking forward to reading it I am off to china in march!!.. I should have done a a blog on my travels

March in China, depending on where exactly you are heading, might be quite cold, so don't forget warm jackets and sweaters! I'm sure you're gonna love your trip though.

I must admit that I have a very distinct bias about travel blogs, even those oriented towards photography. I like to read some text that tells me something interesting about the people and their involvement in the travel - and have that text illustrated with images.
Your text is rathr bland and impersonal for my taste and the pictures are almost generic and not tied too well to the text.

Thank you very much for your opinion. Getting personal and showing people involved in the travel is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. So, in a way, your negative comment is a positive one to me :) I really like your monochromatic shots - some really nice ones on your website.

Really looking forward to reading it I am off to china in march!!.. I should have done a a blog on my travels[/QUOTE]

March in China, depending on where exactly you are heading, might be quite cold, so don't forget warm jackets and sweaters! I'm sure you're gonna love your trip though.

Thank you very much for your opinion. Getting personal and showing people involved in the travel is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. So, in a way, your negative comment is a positive one to me :) I really like your monochromatic shots - some really nice ones on your website.[/QUOTE]

Any recommendations would be great, We are off to Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, XIan , Leshan (BIG BUDDHA).. Thought It was going to be cold, but not long got back from Thailand so had my summer hols :).. Wasted shiiiit loads of holidays with a crappy camera , just bought nikon d5100 for china.. Love your great wall shot, I need to learn how to do that!

Thank you very much for your opinion. Getting personal and showing people involved in the travel is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. So, in a way, your negative comment is a positive one to me :) I really like your monochromatic shots - some really nice ones on your website.

Might I ask:
WHY are you trying to avoid getting personal in your blog? And, since that is the case, what ARE you trying to accomplish with your blog? Knowing what you want the blog to be is a huge part of determining how it should be written.

IMO: The photos are very nice and keep my attention so that I want to keep looking at other blog entries from you. That's definitely a plus.
Your writing needs serious work, but not really because of your English issues. The only major problem I see there is a need to watch your verb tenses; you have a tendency to switch from past tense to present tense in the same sentence and it makes it sound awkward.
The real issue though is that your blog, imo, is neither personal enough to be interesting on that level, nor is it *informative* enough to be useful as a "what to do when you visit" type of travel blog.
You have just enough of a sense of humor showing through in your writing that I think you could do the personal blog style pretty well, but if that's not what you want, then perhaps you could clarify what you ARE trying to accomplish with it?

Thank you very much for your opinion. Getting personal and showing people involved in the travel is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. So, in a way, your negative comment is a positive one to me :) .

I'm happy you took my comment in the spirit it was meant.
If you read the travel entries in my blog, they are diametrically opposite of your style. Each to his own.
I'm off to Myanmar in 4 weeks.

Might I ask:
WHY are you trying to avoid getting personal in your blog? And, since that is the case, what ARE you trying to accomplish with your blog? Knowing what you want the blog to be is a huge part of determining how it should be written.

IMO: The photos are very nice and keep my attention so that I want to keep looking at other blog entries from you. That's definitely a plus.
Your writing needs serious work, but not really because of your English issues. The only major problem I see there is a need to watch your verb tenses; you have a tendency to switch from past tense to present tense in the same sentence and it makes it sound awkward.
The real issue though is that your blog, imo, is neither personal enough to be interesting on that level, nor is it *informative* enough to be useful as a "what to do when you visit" type of travel blog.
You have just enough of a sense of humor showing through in your writing that I think you could do the personal blog style pretty well, but if that's not what you want, then perhaps you could clarify what you ARE trying to accomplish with it?

Because that blog was supposed to be more about photography and less about writing. Short paragraphs was supposed to give enough storytelling background to the photos to make them authentic, but not to draw attention. I'm not a fan of blogs where travelers write in chronological order and show photos of them hugging with local people. The idea was to show photos that are not chronologically correct and not related to the text. Doing the other way would force me to publish photos that are not good enough just because they would fit the text. I don't want to show people what I was doing when I was somewhere - I want to show them what I saw and what THEY could do there.

On the other hand - maybe it's not that bad idea to get a little bit more personal? I'm just not sure how to do so. It's the first time I'm writing a blog and the first time I'm using English to show my real thoughts. What do you think might improve my blog? Getting more specific about places I've seen or whether I liked them or not? Writing about situations that happened to us while traveling and about people we've met?

Thank you for pointing out my problem with tenses. I'm constantly changing some small errors and I'd definitely try to read everything again in order to find errors that you are referring to.

Right now the pictures are just nice, but disconnected, images; there's no direct relationship to the text. The text and images don't support each other so there is no added benefit to looking at your blog over looking at random pictures of Asia.

Last edited:
Right now the pictures are just nice, but disconnected, images; there's no direct relationship to the text. The text and images don't support each other so there is no added benefit to looking at your blog over looking at random pictures of Asia.

Thanks, I'll try to write slightly more personal and see how it goes. Maybe it's not that bad idea after all :)

I love mixing blogging and photography. Your blog is great! The photos are wonderful!

Maybe I've missed out on some but I think a few of those city shots might look better taken at night, the light isn't making things that interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back