TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gavinf.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey!
I'll keep this brief. Or try at least.

I have a Nikon D40x, which although getting outdated fast, still performs well considering it's specs!
I was to upgrade my body, but while traveling and not really having the funds to spend on a nice new body, a new lens might be more suitable.

I'm looking for a lens which will be adaptable to most new bodies whether it may be a Nikon or Canon.

I'm probably looking to get a 50mm as my 18-55mm will suite me fine until I can find another zoom lens to replace it with.
Which lens company would you recommend? I know that's a tough question, but it's not so much about which company offers the best 50mm, as it's more about how versatile the lenses are to different camera bodies.

I know Canon and Nikon both make great lenses as well, so I don't want to rule them out, I just don't want to buy a Nikon lens and then realize that I really want a Canon body... so ideally the lens should match the body, unless if it's a Sigma or Tamron.

This whole post was fairly vague I know... hope it was clear enough to get a response though!

Last edited:
Hey!

I'm looking for a lens which will be adaptable to most new bodies whether it may be a Nikon or Canon.
>SNIP>
I know Canon and Nikon both make great lenses as well, so I don't want to rule them out, I just don't want to buy a Nikon lens and then realize that I really want a Canon body... so ideally the lens should match the body, unless if it's a Sigma or Tamron

Well, adapting Nikon lenses for use on Canon bodies is pretty easy;as long as the Nikon mount lens has an aperture control ring on the lens barrel itself, it can be adapter for use on a Canon d-slr body with any number of adapters that cost from $17 to $179. Of course, you will NOT have automatic diaphragm control, and you will not have automatic focusing, and you will not have programmed automatic exposure modes. So.....the benefit of adapting a Nikon lens to a Canon camera is of interest primarily to experienced photographers and experimenters; there is a lot lost in the adaption process.

Canon lenses will not adapt well to Nikon or other cameras. ALL Canon EF lenses lack aperture rings on the lens, and the other camera systems lack the means to electronically interface with Canon EF or EF-S lenses.

Unless you are willing to live with a lot of workarounds, you're better off buying lenses that fit the body you really want to end up with long-term.

hm interesting.
So really I have to decide now as to which body I will go with. Complicates the matters a fair amount!

I'm not a big fan of loosing the AF control and auto programed modes due to the adapter rings, so I'd rather buy a lens that will outfit the camera properly.

Just to clarify then, if I were to hypothetically purchase a Sigma lens, would I need to buy a Sigma that has been manufactured specifically for Nikon or Canon?

Well I guess either way I have to decide which camera body I will be going with in the future.

I'll make that a separate topic though

Most reactions

Back