New Photographer Here

gunghorjc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I posted in introduction thread in another thread. I learned a bit about photography in high school and really enjoyed it but since then (I'm 25 now) I've not really used photography much.

I didn't even own a camera until yesterday when a friend from high school gave me one of hers she says she never uses anymore. It's a Kodak Easyshare ZD8612 IS. It is a "point and shoot" camera, but it does have some options in it. Like I change from AUTO to PASM (program, aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual), High ISO, Scene, Panorama, and Video.

So I joined this site to help me get started and learning but now I'm really just confused as to where to start. I've been trying to learn about each and every function that it's a little overwhelming. So I'm thinking I should narrow down to just a few basic, but important functions.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Get the book "Understanding Exposure" and "The Photographers Eye".

Also join photo schools that are offered by various members, such Jeweler there :)

Thanks for the advice. I got that first book on order from Amazon now. :D

IgsEmt, when you say photo schools, are you talking actual schools or are they more interactive lessons through the forum?

I think I'll need to search for a decent photo editing program also. The Kodak Easyshare software isn't installing properly for me.

Most people just acquire photoshop.

Thanks for the link. I'm looking through it now. I took my camera outside and played around with the settings and took about 40 pictures. Only a couple of them do I really like so I'll post those two.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't change the aperture in manual mode, or even aperture priority mode. The number that it's at is there, but it's a dull gray color and I can't select it. For the most part I believe in shaded areas it stayed around f2 -f4 and in sunnier areas it was most around f7-f8. So it automatically would change.

The shutter speed was 1/100 I think and the ISO was 200 or 300? Can't remember. Next time I'm going to take a pocket notebook so I can jot down what settings I used.

1009423r.jpg

1009438s.jpg

The shutter speed was 1/100 I think and the ISO was 200 or 300? Can't remember. Next time I'm going to take a pocket notebook so I can jot down what settings I used.

On the first photo. Your ISO was 800 and shutter speed was 1/200

On the second. Your ISO was 100 and your shutter speed was 1/100

Both were taken at f/3.2.

p!nK

How did you figure that out? When I was playing around with them I must have forgotten to set it back lower when I took that first picture.

How did you figure that out? When I was playing around with them I must have forgotten to set it back lower when I took that first picture.

I was watching as you took them. :p

EXIF data. Google it.

p!nK

I would suggest going to the Kodak website and seeing if a manual was available and download it to your computer. Read up on how the camera works.

Since you ordered a book, read it and learn what you can from it. I haven't read the books suggested but have read others that try to explain everything about a camera's functions and it may help to understand what all the jargon means and how they interact. The book you ordered may do that as well.

Go out and take photos! The best way to learn IMO. But don't look at your photos and compare them to others. First, you have a point and shoot vs a SLR vs whatever. You can get nice shots but are limited. Second you need to develop an eye for what you like as all art is subjective. And third, be patient eventually it will all come together.

As far as image software, go to cnet's download area and look for free imaging software. There's a few free ones out there that will do some stuff. Serif has a free photo editing software as well.

Here's a couple of shots from a 4 meg HP point and shoot:

vacation037.jpg

10022006021.jpg

I was watching as you took them. :p

EXIF data. Google it.

p!nK

haha, I was thinking I saw someone in the shadows. :p

But I'm now googling it. :D

Thanks. :)

I would suggest going to the Kodak website and seeing if a manual was available and download it to your computer. Read up on how the camera works.

Since you ordered a book, read it and learn what you can from it. I haven't read the books suggested but have read others that try to explain everything about a camera's functions and it may help to understand what all the jargon means and how they interact. The book you ordered may do that as well.

Go out and take photos! The best way to learn IMO. But don't look at your photos and compare them to others. First, you have a point and shoot vs a SLR vs whatever. You can get nice shots but are limited. Second you need to develop an eye for what you like as all art is subjective. And third, be patient eventually it will all come together.

As far as image software, go to cnet's download area and look for free imaging software. There's a few free ones out there that will do some stuff. Serif has a free photo editing software as well.

Oh I know my camera is not as good as some higher end models, but I'm treating it as a learning tool.

I agree w/ you on that hands-on learning is generally the best way to learn anything. Hopefully that book I ordered will help, along with this website, and the other tutorials I've found.

That being said, I need to learn some basic camera functions so that as I take photos and I'm out and about I can get them the way that I want. Like tonight, I was at an inn on a lake for dinner and there was a really nice moon rise over the lake I wanted to take a picture of. However, it didn't turn out quite how I wanted it. I played with the settings a bit but I still couldn't seem to get the reflections in the water to be clearer, as it is now they're a bit blurry.

1009443.jpg

The above picture was taken with f3.6 and shutter speed of 1/40 and ISO 400.

Might just be the reflection in the water, your shutter speed is too slow for you lens focal length or you have reached the camera's limitation and that's as clear as you're going to get. Nice shot!

Thanks, Vinny. I like the shot too, other than the reflection. But it's a learning process! I'll only be getting better. :D

The lens is 36-432mm AF 12x Optical Zoom

What shutter speed would you have recommended perhaps?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back