New to photography, thought I would share some pix

I really really like number 5.

However I unfortunately disagree with some of the posts here that your photos are great. I think that your subjects are the stars here.

Your photos resemble a lot of mine when I first started taking photos. You find interesting places, and take photos without thinking too much about composition or settings.

For example: Number 4 would have looked better with the ocean in focus and the shrubbery and fence out of focus. And possibly could have looked better as a portrait composition than a landscape. But that's just me.

Number 6 has way too much PP done on it, for my personal tastes.

Anyways, I don't mean to bag you out, or anything. But to me, the pictures are typical of someone new to photography with an SLR and a 2.8 lense. That you are essentially getting shots that you could get with a P&S except for the bit depth and depth of field created by the lens you are using.

I did the same thing.

What you'll realise the more you start to read and research is that many photographers who do it professionally, or exhibit their work would go to that same location and shoot a shot that would just blow your mind.

So, whilst they are good photos, I wouldn't rest on their laurels. I would go back to the places and try and get compositions that don't feel natural, and compositions that your mind doesn't automatically jump to.

Anyways, that's me being super critical. Welcome to the forums, and have fun!

Welcome.
Nice to see you making great use of your camera.
All I have to say is watch your unleveled horizons as mentioned earlier.
I really liked your photos overall, especially #1 because you just don't the that in southern california. Be careful of your artistic twists. Sometimes, they can backfire like in #6. #5 is pretty nice but #6 is a little too over the top. The sand is ewww and the clouds have some funky noise going on, perhaps over sharpening; not sure.

Keep up the good work.

I really really like number 5.

For example: Number 4 would have looked better with the ocean in focus and the shrubbery and fence out of focus. And possibly could have looked better as a portrait composition than a landscape. But that's just me.

Number 6 has way too much PP done on it, for my personal tastes.

Anyways, that's me being super critical. Welcome to the forums, and have fun!

When talking about #4, I took that photo with the ocean in and out of focus. I thought it looked a lot better out of focus, because well it kinda looked out of focus even when it was in focus. I thought the flowers were better to have in focus, because of there detail. Thanks for advise.

Welcome.
Nice to see you making great use of your camera.
All I have to say is watch your unleveled horizons as mentioned earlier.
I really liked your photos overall, especially #1 because you just don't the that in southern california. Be careful of your artistic twists. Sometimes, they can backfire like in #6. #5 is pretty nice but #6 is a little too over the top. The sand is ewww and the clouds have some funky noise going on, perhaps over sharpening; not sure.

Keep up the good work.

Thank You for the C&C, pic #6 is the only one out of all of those that was taken with a P & S, so the quality was not good from the start, and yea the editing is a little over the top. I been trying to gets shots where something brings the persons eye into the middle of the photo. For instance photo #2 with the metal beams shooting toward the middle, and picture #10 with the hand rail going the middle. Is something I want to continue to do with my photos. Thanks

welcome!
i love them! 1 and 2 are my favorites! cant wait to see more!

5 is my most favorite, definately something I would put in a frame!!
6 although very good I find the clouds a bit too distracting but the noise does not bother me I like it.

Most reactions

Back