Nikon D50 Command Dial

DiamondSCattleCo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally recieved my D50 in the mail today and snapped a few automatic mode shots just for grins. Then I switched to Aperature mode, and tried to use the command dial to make some changes, however the command dial appeared to be non-functional. Did I get a dud command dial, or is there some kind of setting lock or something that I'm not seeing? Did a quick scour of both the D50 Guide by Thom and the manual, but couldn't find anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rod

Nikkor 28-80mm f3.3-f5.6 G AF

The command dial doesn't appear to work for any functions though, including setting the white balance, scrolling through pictures, setting drive mode, etc etc.

Rod

I should mention the dial appears to have nice firm clicks, so I can't help but think I'm missing something really stupid...

Did you buy the camera New? or used?

may have to go into the menu and see if it was reassigned WHAT it is supposed to do.

Sounds like you got a dud. Where did you get the camera from?

Did you buy the camera New? or used?

may have to go into the menu and see if it was reassigned WHAT it is supposed to do.

Bought used off of eBay (possible mistake) although the description described the camera as functioning perfectly, and all imperfections were detailed out, so I was reasonably comfortable with the purchase.

I can't seem to find a place where you can reassign buttons. I checked the Nikon D50 Guide, Nikon manual and went all through the menus to no avail. Any hints?

Thanks for the help guys.

Rod

only reference I can find for the command dial for the D50 is on Page 3.

Command dial:43–45, 51–55

Try doing a camera reset described on page 120.

Inform the seller of the situation. If he/she wont take back an obviously defective product - file a PayPal dispute. It's certainly a possibility, but I'd be surprised if a D50's command dial took a bump en-route and that completely f'd up the electronics on the inside.

<chuckle> I messaged the seller that the command dial is non-functional, and the response I got was "whats the command dial". lol.

So I messaged them back explaining what it was and why I needed it to work. I got an estimate from Nikon Canada that it would take $200 to fix the "normal" command dial mess up, and left the seller with the option to refund me 200 bucks or give me a full refund and I'd send it back.

And then I called up Don's Photo in Saskatoon (excellent, excellent place to do business) and had them set aside a D60 with 18-55 kit lens for $549 Cdn. To heck with going cheap again.

Rod

I'd rather have a D50 over a D60. You just have to know how to read eBay. But then if I didn't have that patience, I'd want to just pay premium as well.

I've been eBaying for quite a few years, and never had any issues. Like you say, you watch the language and this seller detailed off the visible imperfections. I was quite comfortable making the purchase, however its now obvious the seller wasn't very conversant with Nikon digital cameras.

I've been waiting for a D50/D60 or D70 to show up for around a month, so I didn't pay a whole big bunch of money for the unit. Definitely less than what other D50 with lenses were selling for, primarily, I suspect, because of the G lenses which don't seem to get much respect. But by the time I add another couple hundred bucks to the cost of the unit, I'll be right up to the cost of a new D60, so there isn't much point.

Rod

G lenses are fine. They make pro glass G lenses. The reason the D50 is more expensive than the D60 is because of the lens limitations of the D60/D40. I, personally, don't have a single AF-S lens, so I would be pretty borked if I had to compromise and purchase only lenses with an internal focus motor (which are usually more expensive than their AF, AF-D counterparts).

So essentially, what you pay less for with the D60, you pay more for with the lenses. For example, a used 80-200 AF-D F/2.8 (one of the more popular tele lengths) will set you back 600-700. The AF-S variety, 1000 and above. The VR version, 1700 smackers. Same with the 50MM F/1.8 and 1.4. The 1.8 is 100 bucks or so, and the 1.4 can be had for sub 300 used. The AF-S F/1.4 will reguarly go for 400 bucks and above, and the 35MM (if you can find it) will set you back 200 bucks.

So there is most definitely a benefit of being able to have a wider VARIETY of lens options; you'll hear "Oh but it focuses faster!" - sure sure. Perhaps in theory, but in practice I've not noticed a 400-1000 dollar difference in the 80-200 F/2.8 (I havent used the AF-S, but have used the VR version and didn't notice any difference to force me to spend that premium on the AF-S glass).

Just some food for thought.

I don't see a problem with G glass either. To be honest, I can't figure out why you want an aperature ring if you have to lock it in place anyway. I suppose it just looks cool...

Anyway, I'm not real wild about not having a focus motor built in but I suspect I'll be manually focusing much of the time anyway, so I don't think its going to be much of an issue.

Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone know how it turns out...

Rod

Most reactions

New Topics

Back