nikon d50 vs. d70

Marctwo said:
This thread would appear to be a comparison of two specific Nikons - not just another brand vs brand ramble.
So how come at least one person in this thread (apart from me) has mentioned Canon? ;)

Well, 'the minty one' seemed to be taking this thread in the context of her own purchasing decisions - not starting a brand war.

There is usually a brand vs brand thread knocking about for that type of thing.

I was under the impression that USB 2.0 and Firewire were about the same speed?

I trolled around a little and found a reference to Firewire being 400 MBS, and USB 2.0 running at 480 MBS. (million bits per second) Just a little triva.

It's only a brand war when you say things like 'X is better than Y'.
If you read my post I was merely reminding Mentos, and others, that there are makes other than C and N out there that are worth considering too. I used the expression 'equal to' not 'better than' so I fail to see how you can object and claim I'm 'starting a brand war'.

As for USB 2.0/Firewire. They do transfer data at the same speed - providing your USB on your computer is USB2.0. USB 2.0 can vary it's rate however as it is largely designed to talk to peripherals like scanners, printers, keyboards...
FireWire was designed specifically to transfer video and similar data so it only transfers at it's maximum speed. Most digital video and still devices come with FireWire.
If you have both USB and FireWire capability on your computer then finding your camera only has one method of transfer is not a drawback.

well Hertzy ... Olympus is not so comfortable to hold :p same as Nikon d70... it is too big for me... :p hehe :p

mentos_007 said:
well Hertzy ... Olympus is not so comfortable to hold :p same as Nikon d70... it is too big for me... :p hehe :p
It's smaller and lighter. You handled mine, if you remember, and you remarked on it. 'That's rather small' I remember you saying. :lol:

really?? :p but canon is cute :D... ok ok I have to admit... you won here Hertzy... :p I have never considered olympus nor any other cameras except canon and nikon and fuji... :p they are just not popular :p

The only advice I ever give is just pick them all up and try them. You'll find one that feels right - don't look at the price or make, just buy it.
It's better to have a cheapie that's easy to use because it feels right than to have a camera that is supposedly excellent but you can't use because it feels awkward.
In the 70's I thought the Nikon Photomic F2 was the camera for me but I couldn't afford one. The guy in the shop said 'try this' and handed me an Olympus. It sat in my hand like it belonged there so I bought it.
Never regretted it for a moment.

jstuedle said:
I trolled around a little and found a reference to Firewire being 400 MBS, and USB 2.0 running at 480 MBS. (million bits per second) Just a little triva.

I think they have Firewire 800 now, its twice as fast. They are looking at doubling or tripling that soon.

Hertz said:
The only advice I ever give is just pick them all up and try them. You'll find one that feels right - don't look at the price or make, just buy it.

This is excellent advice. I borrowed my brother in laws D70 for the weekend and everything felt good. It was easy to buy when I went to get it.

I looked at the D50 seemed like a really good camera. As I remember the D70 kit lens was little better, the fact that it takes Compact Flash cards and the D70 has a Night Landscape setting which is really nice, all convinced me to get the D70s. In hindsight I would have bought just the body and picked out a different lens but that takes a little extra money.

digital flower pictures said:
I think they have Firewire 800 now, its twice as fast. They are looking at doubling or tripling that soon.

This is excellent advice. I borrowed my brother in laws D70 for the weekend and everything felt good. It was easy to buy when I went to get it.

I looked at the D50 seemed like a really good camera. As I remember the D70 kit lens was little better, the fact that it takes Compact Flash cards and the D70 has a Night Landscape setting which is really nice, all convinced me to get the D70s. In hindsight I would have bought just the body and picked out a different lens but that takes a little extra money.
unless the kits have recently changed, the d50 kit gets you a nicer ED lens. when i bought my d70, it did not include a ED...but i did purchase the d70 over a year ago. the d50 has turned out to be an excellent camera for the record...showing absolutely NO difference in quality of image between the two.

i do not rely on preset options so those functions were not a consideration.

yes, this thread was intended to help people who were on the fence with respect to the two d's. however, Hertz is right...the evolt is an excellent camera for the $. i have owned several Olympus cameras and still use one today. :thumbup:

Well the current d70s kits come with a ED-IF lens. So one up on the d50 with just ED.

Jon this is the lens that came with my D70s:
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

I don't want to have a technical debate about the lens, you'd win :lmao: :lmao:

A generally also try and set up the camera manually but for 'happy snapping' or quick shots at night the preset works for me. The other night I was out shooting pictures and after several exposures I decided to spin the dial to Night Landscape before giving up. Here is the picture:

003ridgenightppf.jpg

My other pictures came out well but this is the one they liked.
Cha-ching, sold as a print and for use on their website. :thumbup: ;)

I hate to be the one to through you all out, but I own a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D100, and let me tell you…if you’re willing to spend the money on a D70 (or even the D50), save a little bit more and spend it on the D100. The extra cost isn’t a lot, and is well worth it. The D100 offers so much more creative control. The littlest to biggest things that you probably wont notice until you have them both in your hands to compare them. I bought the D70 first and then thought I should get a backup. The D100 was what I had in mind. I bought an ex demo model, for about the same cost of my D70, and let me tell you…I’ve not used the D70 since. All my lenses from the D70 fit the D100, and my SB-800 flash also works a treat. Buying the D100 was the best thing I’ve ever done for my photography career. I urge everyone with the passion for creating any sort of photographs to get one. LOOK INTO IT.

looks like they've beefed up the kit lens for the d70 since my purchase :thumbup:

Zenith said:
I hate to be the one to through you all out, but I own a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D100, and let me tell you…if you’re willing to spend the money on a D70 (or even the D50), save a little bit more and spend it on the D100. The extra cost isn’t a lot, and is well worth it. The D100 offers so much more creative control. The littlest to biggest things that you probably wont notice until you have them both in your hands to compare them. I bought the D70 first and then thought I should get a backup. The D100 was what I had in mind. I bought an ex demo model, for about the same cost of my D70, and let me tell you…I’ve not used the D70 since. All my lenses from the D70 fit the D100, and my SB-800 flash also works a treat. Buying the D100 was the best thing I’ve ever done for my photography career. I urge everyone with the passion for creating any sort of photographs to get one. LOOK INTO IT.

Dude that post is hard on the eyes!!

D100 is worth looking at, but most people have made a massive stretch to get from compacts to DSLRs, so I'd say most people are deciding between the XT and the D50!

Just my opinion.

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back