Nikon D7000

srcamacho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks just preordered the Nikon D7000 and would like to know what would be a good lens for it. I ordered just the body only. Im just getting into photography so im not really sure what type of lens to get. please help.....

Thanks
Im thinking of an all around lens but its over my budget at this time but I guess something for portraits since Ill probally be using it alot with my family. Thanks for the reply.....

for portraits, the new 35mm f/1.4 should be pretty amazing

what's your budget?

for portraits, the new 35mm f/1.4 should be pretty amazing

what's your budget?

how about the 50mm? is this lense any good for a portraiture?

50 is much better for portraiture on an APS-C sized sensor than the 35.

If you have enough room to zoom with your feet.

On a D7000 the apparent focal length of a 50 mm is 75 mm. The 35 mm has an apparent focal length of 52.5 mm.

I would take a close look at the AF 35mm f/2D: AF NIKKOR 35mm f/2D from Nikon

In what way? In my experience, the 50mm is much too long and you have to stand too far back to get reasonable field of view for anything but headshots. Sure, the tighter zoom CAN create a shallower DOF, but IMO that's not worth it if you have trouble just framing the shot how you want.

I'll second the 35mm f/2 suggestion for something more budget-minded, although you'll want to stop down to f/2.8 to get a sharp image

All of that being said, yes, the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 is great for portrait shots provided you have the room to use it.

In what way? In my experience, the 50mm is much too long and you have to stand too far back to get reasonable field of view for anything but headshots. Sure, the tighter zoom CAN create a shallower DOF, but IMO that's not worth it if you have trouble just framing the shot how you want.

I'll second the 35mm f/2 suggestion for something more budget-minded, although you'll want to stop down to f/2.8 to get a sharp image

All of that being said, yes, the 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 is great for portrait shots provided you have the room to use it.

Woops. Yes if you do have the room to move then I would go with the 50. Better would be an 85 1.4 if you had the room IMO.

Thank you all for your comments.....

gosh i want this camera... i have the d5000 and once i saw this come out my heart sank. i dont have much of a budget... so its either sell my d5000 and save up for the 7000 or just save up over awhile and then get it lol.... your probably gonna be really happy with the camera. congrats !

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why didn't you get it with the kit lens?
no point in spending $1200 on a state-of-the-art camera if you're just going to use the kit lens

So this lens is junk?

Amazon.com: Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

It isn't JUNK but it's nothing special. I got the 18-105 with my D90 kit and the 50mm f/1.8 does a MUCH better job for less money. If I had known the difference before, I would have just bought the D90 body and the 50mm lens separately. From what I've read the 18-55mm is sharper than that one (Ken Rockwell) but I haven't had a chance to compare side by side and if you add a 55-200mm you are covering a good range.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back