Nikon D750 Purchase Fear

Chopster01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to change from DX to FX and have been dreaming, saving, and scheming to buy a D750. All the things I read or viewed at first were very positive. But now I am hearing about a string of recalls and shutter problems. Should I be wary of buying this camera?

I wouldn't buy one. However, there is no questions asked policy in place if you have any issues with the camera at all. I know someone who has had theirs in twice for shutter problem. He recently sold it, well traded it in actually.

Okay, it's 50/50, and I'm back where I started, lol! So, buy a D750, yay or nay? Which other camera should I buy if not the D750?

There was a serial number range for the problems with the D750.
I bought mine new from BestBuy last year and have had no problems, my serial number was also outside of the list.

No piece of electronics are without issues, unfortunately. If you like the feature set of the D750, buy it.

I bought a used D600. It's shutter spits oil. Nikon fixed it for free. Because people are scared of it spitting oil (and evidently the 9 days it took Nikon to fix the problem for me...), I picked up FF camera for $700.

Okay, it's 50/50, and I'm back where I started, lol! So, buy a D750, yay or nay? Which other camera should I buy if not the D750?

Nikon does a decent job of recognizing flaws/defects and fixing them for free.

I think it has been long enough that the cameras from the production line now have updated components! I would not worry about it. There is one for sale on this forum from a member for a very good price BTW!!!

Buy from a reputable seller and...

I usually buy from B&H.

I would buy one if I didn't already have a Nikon FX

I wouldn't buy one. However, there is no questions asked policy in place if you have any issues with the camera at all. I know someone who has had theirs in twice for shutter problem. He recently sold it, well traded it in actually.

The Angry Photographer is a strange cat, yet oddly compelling when he isn't just flat-out irrational (which happens from time to time).

What do you want to do with it? What is your motivation to purchase an FX body? If you would not consider a different model, then get the D750.

I have one and really like it. It's a great camera with great image quality, however I'm replacing mine with a D810. The only reasons for replacing it are:

1.) My other body is a D500. The D750 is a great camera body, but next to a pro body like the D500 it's control layout just doesn't keep up in fast pace shooting scenarios. The D500/D8xx series cameras have a far better button layout, build quality, and are just generally more user friendly. For a hobbyist this isn't a big deal; but as someone who shoots sports/event coverage it's a deal breaker

2.) More resolution. I'm not huge into chasing megapixels, but I do shoot and print a fair amount of landscape work so the extra resolution will be appreciated by me.

That's it. If you're happy with 24 megapixels and you've never shot with a true professional body, then the D750 is a true workhorse and you'll love it. I wouldn't hesitate to get one based on the recall issues; if you have a problem Nikon will fix or replace it and you'll end up with a new or like new camera body.

I usually buy from B&H.
Adorama is very reputable. Cameta has decent prices on Reconditioned bodies as well. Out of many many purchases from KEH. I have only sent one thing back. And they paid the return shipping!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back