Nobody seems to be giving straight answers.

I am new on here...but did you try and fix your pictures up on the computer at all, like editing them? I know that some of mine get like that and I don't have a professional camera or a real expensive one at that. I have a basic kodak camera with 12 mega pixels. I was always told that it doesn't matter if you have a highly professional camera or a basic...they both will produce good pictures because its not the camera taking the pictures...its the person holding the camera.

Everytime I shoot in RAW I cannot see them on my computer for whatever reason, the thumbnails are blank and I cannot view them in any software I use. Why this is. I unfortunately do not know. So I shoot JPEG.

You need special software to open RAW files. There's a free patch from Nikon that allows you to view raw files on your computer, but you still won't be able to edit them.

Thanks for your input JG Coleman, you actually answered my question, and I thank you for that. Some of my photos, personally, I think are pretty good but thats just IMO. Other times when I go out ans shootocourse I take multiple shots of the same object just to be sure I get the right shot. Now, having tweaked with the setting on the D40x for so long and still not geting what I want I have just started to wonder is it me, or is it the camera? Well I have yet to figure this out. Ofcourse I am very well aware that my body sees certain things differently then my eyes do. Some other lenses I have seen are a dream to have yet are so far out of reach for me finacially. As mentioned before I have looked at other merchandising websites, like craigslist and such. Still not being able to find the lens that I need within the price range I have.
Thank you for your input.

Everytime I shoot in RAW I cannot see them on my computer for whatever reason, the thumbnails are blank and I cannot view them in any software I use. Why this is. I unfortunately do not know. So I shoot JPEG.
This indicates to me, you're doing zip research on your own.

To edit them, I don't know of any free software that does a decent job. Photoshop and Lightroom are popular choices. I think Nikon also has a raw editing application.

Both Canon and Nikon have raw editing software that normally comes with the camera. This should be available from their respective websites or you could contact them. It sounds to me like you have just purchased a camera and are "winging it" for lack of a better term. I recommend getting a few books and studying up. A structured learning experience will allow you to advance farther and faster than browsing internet forums.
As far as night photography, to get good shots at night you usually need at tripod to hold the camera still for the longer exposures needed.

Both Canon and Nikon have raw editing software that normally comes with the camera. This should be available from their respective websites or you could contact them. It sounds to me like you have just purchased a camera and are "winging it" for lack of a better term. I recommend getting a few books and studying up. A structured learning experience will allow you to advance farther and faster than browsing internet forums.
As far as night photography, to get good shots at night you usually need at tripod to hold the camera still for the longer exposures needed.

I am very well aware on how to control my camera and how to operate it. As for night photography, also well aware that a tripod is needed and long exosure. I wouldn't consider my a newbie here Scatterbrained. I've been using this setup minus the speedlight for close to 9 months now. I am very well aware on how to operate my camera.

Most people on here say that the body of the camera has nothing to do with your photos, wrong. Everybody on here says its all about your glass, all about your lenses. Also wrong. Your body has a huge impact on your photos.

I would be VERY surprised to hear anyone say that the body has nothing to do with your images. Of course it has a major impact, BUT of all the things that you can upgrade and improve, the camera body is generally the one that will have the least impact. Now, if you're going from a D70 to a D3s - or something equally extreme, that won't hold true, but in most cases you'll realize a much greater improvement in your work from better lenses, lighting or other gear.

In my experience probably 75% of photographers don't come close to maximizing the potential of their current body before upgrading.

I have nikon's capture NX2 and Lightroom and PSE8. I absolutely hate NX2 and love using Lightroom and finishing up in PSE8. I definetly recommend both of these for editting. Both have free 30 trials on Adobe.com. Why dont you try these and shoot some RAW and see if it makes a difference for you.

Thank you Tirediron, I agree I mean currently I have on of the lowest known camera's on the block so to speak, a discontinued body, with some cool features for sure I mean, don't get me wrong I love the features that my little D40x has that's for sure but I mean going from a D40x to let's say a D200 thats a pretty extreme step don't you think ?

Thank you for the references mwcfarms :hug::. I will definately have a look at those programs.

I am very well aware on how to control my camera and how to operate it. As for night photography, also well aware that a tripod is needed and long exosure. I wouldn't consider my a newbie here Scatterbrained. I've been using this setup minus the speedlight for close to 9 months now. I am very well aware on how to operate my camera.
Wash the sand out of your mangina kid. I see a lot of Exposure Program AE in your exif data. You have had the camera for 8 months and don't know how to view a raw file on the computer yet. This tells me you have failed to engage in some basic research and reading. I'm not trying to bust your balls, you've got a good eye, but I don't think the camera is your limiting factor so much as your knowledge, as KmH alluded to as well.

I do not see how a 10MP camera's files would look pixelated, unless you're shooting at small, medium or "BASIC" JPEG setting on the D40x. I do think that some faster glass might help you. Those two zooms are limiting you to f/5.6 at their longer ranges, and that's not going to be helpful many times...that is a limitation to be worked around.

Scatterbrains I see where your coming from I do. Derrel I have looked at faster lenses for sure it's a dream to own a 200mm 2.8 it really is but that lens goes for no less then $1500.00 used. Which I do not have at the moment so that's out of the question. I thank you both for your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back