NYC Meet-Up Dates Poll

What weekend in November do you think the NYC meet-up should be?

• Both Weekends are No Good for Me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all
just checking in to find out what are the plains about meeting next saturday morning'
when and where. The last I heard we would meet at the 72nd street and the west side of Central Park at 09:00.
Is this still the plain. Lets all pray to the weather gods for good weather.

Bob C

I just looked up the weather forecast for the next 10 days, you will have beautiful sunny days that weekend. The temps have been coming down a bit, 50s day time and chilly 40s at night. Fall colors were a bit late this year so you will be getting the tail of it.

As i said before, I have no idea what you guys want to see, but I do know where everythng is and how to get there by bus or train. So if there are interesting things on the way, I can make a point of including them. Give me an idea, I can put it all on the map so you can get as much as possable on your trip here.

See ya in Central Park, 72nd west side.

Paul do you know if there is any parking in the central park area at a reasonable price
if not i will park under the el structure of the number 7 train in Sunnyside in Queens.
and take the train into the city.

Bob C.

1. n2ncq
2. Paul Ron
3. Unimaximum
4. Jeff Canes
5. Traci & friend
6. gypsyIX
7. danalec99

Central Park, 72nd West side at around 9AM - Nov 12, 2005

Paul Ron...these where some places suggested.

Unimaxium said:
So... I went up to NYC for the day on Saturday, and made some observations. Here are some of my findings and ideas for places to visit
2) Some great places / areas worth visiting are Central Park, Times Square, SoHo, and the South Street Seaport (where you can get great views of the Brooklyn Bridge). I think one day we should maybe focus on Midtown and maybe Uptown Manhattan (Central park, Times Square in Midtown; Harlem for example is in Uptown). Then we spend the other day in Lower Manhattan (i.e. Downtown, SoHo, Tribeca, the South Street Seaport etc.)
3) There are definately some buildings worth visiting, like the Empire State, Chrysler Building, Flatiron Building, Rockefeller Center, etc. Even whether we do or don't want to go to the top of places like the Empire State, it's only a very short walk from places like B&H or Times Square so we could shoot from the ground. But trust me, it's quite a hassle to stand in line to make it to the top of the Empire State Bldg. The line is very long and if I remember correctly takes several hours to get through.
4) Also, if anyone wants to be sentimental we could go to Ground Zero. However we should be cautious about this, as for some people this might be pretty emotional.
5) Another nice place to visit would be Wall Street and the NY Stock Exchange bldg. This is somewhere in Downtown Manhattan (I'm not sure exactly where)
6) Also another must-see is the Statue of Liberty. We would be able to visit this when we visit Lower Manhattan. Kind of like the Empire State bldg., I'm not sure whether it would be worth it or not to take the ferry all the way out to the island. And I'm not sure whether it's open for going inside or not. With September 11 and all that, I'm sure they have all kinds of security issues. But it's definitely something to consider.

Hope these ideas are useful. If anyone has any other places that they think are good to visit please feel free to add to my list. :)

These all sound good to me. Grand Central station and Coney Island where some other places. I'm actually going to the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty on Friday. So, these places are covered for me, but I'm gonna go with the flow.

Traci the NY Stock Exchange bldg is at the corner of Wall and Broad Street.
Not far from the NY Stock Exchange is the Sub treasury building the one that has the
statue of George Washington at the top of the stairs. Also not far from wall street is South Ferry where the Staten Island Ferry departs from. If you take the ferry to Staten Island not much to see at St. George but on the return trip you will see a great view of the lower Manhattan Sky line and great shots from the Statue of Liberty going both ways. One problem with New York City (Manhattan) not including the outter boughs you can spend a whole weekend at each area. And you have just about started to see what the Big Apple has to offer. I have not been to Manhattan
in twenty years I am looking forward to the trip. I lived in New york for forty years
never was to the Statue of Liberty. As far as Coney Island must of the rides will be closed for the season but Nathans will be open, you can get a Coney Island hot dog and Nathans fries their.
See you all on saturday at around 09:00

Bob C.

hi again
I just checked the the Staten Island Ferry web site and found the the trip is free.
I can not believe you can get a two hour boat ride or should I say a cruise for free.

see you on saturday.

Bob C

Thanks Bob! I've never been to New York, so everything will be new and exciting! I truely want to be a "typical" tourist. I know there are a ton of things to do there, I live in So. Cal., so I can relate to that.

I can't find the map of NYC parking regulations that had metered hours for street parking and neighborhood hours for alternate side.

Street parking on or about West 72nd can be a nightmare but is possable in the side streets, you'll have to drive around a bit. The pay garages will charge nearly $40 for the day according one site but in comparrison a towed car will cost you about $300... this site has a map of the garages.....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/pa...79&zoomifyY=0.0254589355451197&zoomifyZoom=80

This site has the rates for the garages in the area...

http://www.iconparking.com/

I'll take the train or park on Roosevelt Island, I have a special permit.

That is some laundry list there kid. How long did you say you're staying?... 3 months?

I'll put everything on transit maps and see how best to get to all of em.

Any other requests for places to see n go that I should put on the map?

n2ncq said:
Paul do you know if there is any parking in the central park area at a reasonable price
if not i will park under the el structure of the number 7 train in Sunnyside in Queens.
and take the train into the city.
Bob C.
Hi Bob,

I'd suggest you take the train :). If its for a couple of hours I'd recommend driving in any time, but it is not! :)

Daniel (danalec99)

Hey guys!

I'm heading out tomorrow morning, so I will without a computer. I will see you all Saturday at 9am! :biggrin: :cheer: :biggrin:

Have a safe flight!! :)

I made all the final arrangements today for you guys.

I ordered perfect weather for Sat n Sun. Sunny pleasant, upper 50s during the day, chilly nights. The leaves are peaked color in NYC n Central Park, ready for you to take plenty of pictures, makes a nice background.

I checked out the Metro Card Fun Pass, unlimited ride cards. They are $7, good all day on any of the city buses n trains all day, as many times as you'd like to get on n off, good from first use till 3am. You buy them in the train stations from the vending machines. The Bus is the way to travel around NY if you are touring so you can at elast see where you are going.

I had the Christmass tree delivered to Rockerfeller Center today so it'll be ready to decorate if you guys aren't too busy, just grab a few balls and hang em someplace.

The Rockets will be on the line and are ready to entertain you, if you bought tickets.

I had the circus come to town as well for you in case you wanted to do that.

Seriously.... I highlighted all the points of interest on a Manhattan bus map for you, including Famous Ray's Pizza although I think the best pizza is in the Bronx. Pizza in NYC is good anywhere.

You may not want to see what I marked, but at least you'll have a map to go by. I also have a subway map for ya too. My favorite places, a must see, and I just may force you to see em... the only 2 vest pocket parks in Manhattan that have waterfalls, both in MidTown just blocks form eachother near Rockerfeller Center.

If you are in town Sunday, make it a point to go to B&H?

Well I hope you guys will have fun here. This will be my first tour of the city too. I only live here all my life and know nothing about the place.

Paul Ron said:
I made all the final arrangements today for you guys.

I ordered perfect weather for Sat n Sun. Sunny pleasant, upper 50s during the day, chilly nights. The leaves are peaked color in NYC n Central Park, ready for you to take plenty of pictures, makes a nice background.

I checked out the Metro Card Fun Pass, unlimited ride cards. They are $7, good all day on any of the city buses n trains all day, as many times as you'd like to get on n off, good from first use till 3am. You buy them in the train stations from the vending machines. The Bus is the way to travel around NY if you are touring so you can at elast see where you are going.

I had the Christmass tree delivered to Rockerfeller Center today so it'll be ready to decorate if you guys aren't too busy, just grab a few balls and hang em someplace.

The Rockets will be on the line and are ready to entertain you, if you bought tickets.

I had the circus come to town as well for you in case you wanted to do that.

Seriously.... I highlighted all the points of interest on a Manhattan bus map for you, including Famous Ray's Pizza although I think the best pizza is in the Bronx. Pizza in NYC is good anywhere.

You may not want to see what I marked, but at least you'll have a map to go by. I also have a subway map for ya too. My favorite places, a must see, and I just may force you to see em... the only 2 vest pocket parks in Manhattan that have waterfalls, both in MidTown just blocks form eachother near Rockerfeller Center.

If you are in town Sunday, make it a point to go to B&H?

Well I hope you guys will have fun here. This will be my first tour of the city too. I only live here all my life and know nothing about the place.

Wow, sounds great! Now I'm so glad we didn't pick last weekend for the date. Not only was last weekend an incredibly busy weekend for me, but it sounds like this Sat & Sun will be perfect for the meetup! I can't wait. I still don't know if I'll be able to stay for Sunday, but anyone who does stay definitely HAS to go to B&H. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back