Ohhhh the Disappointment.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I guess it has been too good of a ride. I've never had any problems out of any of my equipment. Never once. Now, finally, after some amount of years, I've FINALLY got my first equipment problem.

My Nikon 35/1.8 DX seems to have stopped working. This is what I sent to Nikon:

Hello there. I've had my Nikon 35mm F/1.8 DX for about a year now. About 3 days ago, I pulled the lens out of my bag, mounted it on my camera, and set the camera (D300s) into Manual mode, with the Aperture at F/4 and the rest of the settings the same as when I had my 50/1.8D mounted. Everything was overexposed. Now, it was a bright and sunny day. I though, even though my ISO was at Lo.1, maybe it was too bright. So, I moved it to F/8. Still overexposed. I eventually had to put it away, and use my 50/1.8D that I've had for about 5 years.

Upon closer inspection, it appears to me that the aperture blades in my 35/1.8 have stopped working. I don't know what the problem is, but the blades remain fully open at all times. I pushed the lever on the mount that normally opens and closes the blades, and I don't see any movement at all from the blades inside the lens. There has been no damage to any parts of the lens. Nothing is wrong with the mount, the lens hasn't been dropped or knocked around.

There was a bit more to it, but that's not important.

Just figured I'd share. Misery loves company. :lol:
Mark

Good luck with it. Bet that Tokina in your sig is still rockin' though. I miss mine, I sold it as I went full frame.

I sold my 35 f1.8 I wasn't happy about the CA.

That Tokina can weather the most wicked storms. I think that tank will last me forever. Even when I move on to full frame, if the D800 really is 36MP. I was going to sell my 35 too for the same reason. But, apparently now I cant. :lol:

Mark

From what I understand the Tokina will even cover a full frame sensor at 15 and 16mm... just sayin.

*inserts the expected*

You should have bought a Canon

*comment* ;)

Overread: -_-

I called Nikon. I was attached to one of the most inexperienced people I've ever spoken to in my entire life. This man must have never even touched a DSLR, let alone the 35/1.8. We spent about 25 minutes of me explaining to him that I UNDERSTAND with a NIkon G lens that the aperture is set from the camera, and that I KNOW I won't see the blades move when I scroll the front dial, only when I press the shutter release. :grumpy:

Mark

*inserts the expected*

You should have bought a Canon

*comment* ;)

Canons never break? That means we won't find a support section or repair center info on their site? .... just sayn'
bigthumb.gif

Mark - ouch sounds like typical outsourced support though; all they have is 5 mins training and a hotlist in front of them of the possible problems - hope you can get it fixed up soon!

2Wheels - exactly - plus I hear that the Canon "waiting in line" music on their call centres is better than Nikons.

Most reactions

Back