Over Exposed/Under Exposed??

Natural_Disaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would number 1 be considered over exposed and number 2 considered under exposed?
Both of these were taken around 4:30 pm so obviously it was complete daylight...i was just playing around with shutter speed and manual focus...Complete fail on both...but wanted to use these as examples for my question....

4376841891_917661c677_o.jpg

4376841351_f19a98d92f_o.jpg

Yeah looks that way.

Are you able to get a Polarized Filter for that lens? I got a standard quality one for 60$ in a kit with a UV filter.. I know I paid to much for the quality/brand but I couldn't wait for shipping so I had to buy it @CordCamera. My point being you could probably find a relatively cheap one and see if you like what it does for those landscape shots. Also, this situation is where trying some HDR would be fun to mess with

I watched a video tutorial on HDR and have been wanting to give it a try.
As for polarized filter..I haven't even looked into one yet...but will soon!

Yes on both. Though it isn't that simple. It's comparative - the result compared to your intent, which we don't know.
Ascene like that is a prime candidate fo PP, a bit of adjustment on curve, saturation,,,
though a shot right btwn those two would probly be perfect

on my monitor i would say both are underexposed. the first one has some blown out highlights (reflection in the water) but there is no detail in the shadows.

this might be a good candidate for HDR as the light range is certainly within the guide lines for that type of image.

Just a note on CPL filters. The filter will help remove glare from reflective surface, such as your lake, but may not be much help in the rest of the scene. The CPL is most effective when at 90° to the light source (sun). It is also effective in giving some extra punch to blues and greens. Although I'm not an advocate of buying any cheap filter to put in front of my lens, the CPL is one for sure where quality is important. I would also highly recommend a multi-coated filter. A CPL is handy to have in your bag.

For this type of scene, a graduated neutral density (GND) filter may be better suited. You could also bracket and merge in post without buying a GND.

Actually what you need for this shot is a graduated neutral density filter which will even the exposure between the sky and the bright foreground.

skieur

Actually what you need for this shot is a graduated neutral density filter which will even the exposure between the sky and the bright foreground.

skieur

I don't think that would work. They're usually oriented from dark up top to light on the bottom. The reflection on the bottom of the frame is incredibly bright, even more so than the sky. Even placing it so it goes from dark on the bottom to light up top won't necessarily work with the huge range of contrast. A Cpol would at least cut down on the reflection from the water.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back