permission or not?

This is true for Australia, and as far as I'm aware, US, since most of our laws are a byproduct of there anyway,

You believe that Australian law is a byproduct of US law?

Or that US law is a byproduct of Australian law?

In either case a very interesting view of the history of jurisprudence.

I work with Habitat for Humanity as their public relations person. When we have teenagers working (under 18) I have to have the parents sign a release before I can have the pictures published in the local papers. The paper doesn't require the release of adults.

Technically you are legally allowed to take pictures of anyone you like unless you are taking a picture of them in a situation where they would have a reasonable expectation of privacy...

At no time is anyone ever allowed to demand your camera/film/equipment. Nor are they allowed to demand that you dispose of pictures in any way shape or form. Nor are they allowed to harm you or your equipment in any way.

That is why I don't like taking pictures of people. :lol:

There is cavets to this, thinks like upskirting, expectations of privacy and the like, but if you're not being stupid, or being a pervert, you're legally fine.

So how about if you're 50 feet away with a telephoto lens and you get a closeup of someone picking their nose and post it on the web...would that be grounds for someone to sue?:lol:

(now of course this is totally hypothetical and I would never do something like that, but I'm curious about similar situations...would picking your nose be considered "expectation of privacy"?)

well if someone is willing to pick their nose in public for anyone to see, im guessing that individual doesn't find it to be all that personal.....

As an avid street photog ... I think the best way to be a skilled street photographer is by people doing ... over and over. After a while you will develop a sixth sense on what method is best in what circumstances. Along with the acquired sixth sense you will also get a tough skin.

I never ask, I just shoot and walk ... shoot and walk. 99 out of 100 the moment you communicate with your subject (either visually or verbally) the candid magic is gone ... what first attracted you to photograph the person/scene has changed ... forever.

If the person is in public you do not need permission/consent to publish on the web. You only need a model release if you use the image for commerical purposes (advertising, product endorsement, et cetera). Regardless of what other may say, US law does grant minors a greater right to privacy than adults. The bottom line though, is to use common sense. Even if you are in the right, and you know you are in the right, there are many many people and parents out there that do not understand or respect your First Amendment rights.

Old Stuff
28689844_arfvR-L.jpg

28689847_qsmSk-L.jpg

New Stuff

122132407_ggUeC-L.jpg

122132306_9butc-L.jpg

More of my street snaps are here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/1939275_S62ig#28689844_arfvR

here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/665619_ReXq3#28693845_77sK5

here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/2334019_7D6Uw#122132407_ggUeC

Gary

that is a good question though, what things to full under the category for "expectation of privacy"?
anything that we wouldn't normally think of??

99 out of 100 the moment you communicate with your subject (either visually or verbally) the candid magic is gone ... what first attracted you to photograph the person/scene has changed ... forever.

that's exactly why i posted this question.... i never want to ask... for that very reason...

seefutlung----
even in the photo of the man in the car...you didn't ask him first???

Nope, didn't ask. Look at those links, never asked a single person. The guy in the car ... I was walking down Broadway in LA, saw the
photo, I turned and focused, released the shutter and walked away.

Didn't ask him either:
28693845_77sK5-L.jpg

Gary

Gary I looked at your shots a few months ago when you posted links, and I never get tired of that first shot of the guy in the car...something about that shot is just amazing.

So how about if you're 50 feet away with a telephoto lens and you get a closeup of someone picking their nose and post it on the web...would that be grounds for someone to sue?:lol:

(now of course this is totally hypothetical and I would never do something like that, but I'm curious about similar situations...would picking your nose be considered "expectation of privacy"?)

Marcus ... a person can sue for nearly any reason ... but if/when they do sue .. you will probably win.

Gary

Gary I looked at your shots a few months ago when you posted links, and I never get tired of that first shot of the guy in the car...something about that shot is just amazing.

Thanks Marcus ... if you shoot enough you will get lucky.

Gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back