photo vests

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by DeepSpring, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What do you all think about them?

I was reading a thread on model mayhem with I look at now and then and a guy asked about one and pretty much everyone ripped him apart calling them lame nerdy and all that stuff.

Someone poster here mentioning they have one and I just reminded me of that thread.

Personally I don't have a use for one right now because I don't have that much equipment to lug around but in the near future I could see it being very useful when I do sports and maybe even on location portraits. If you care THAT MUCH what you look like when you shoot I think you should just stop shooting and go be a model. They seem like they would distribute all the weight evenly, give quick access to all your stuff, and make it easier than a backpack or shoulder bag.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't have one yet...but I'm sure I will eventually get one. I like the idea and I usually prefer the open style of a vest compared to a jacket.

I do agree that in some situations, they may look a little silly...but it's also silly to care too much about what other people think about how you look.

I also think a photo vest might be a good idea when traveling. Especially with all the restrictions on carry-on luggage. If your camera bag is deemed to be too heavy or too big, you can move some of you gear to your vest.

I have looked at several different model and I haven't seen anything that stands out above the others. I'm sure it's like anything else, you get what you pay for.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They can sure come in handy out in the woods when you want to change lenses often, and not have to take off a backpack. I've been caught with my wide angle lens on when an animal that I really want to photograph enters the scene. By the time I get my pack off and change lenses, the animal is long gone. Sure made me wish I had a vest.

4. portersangel

portersangel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would be lost with out mine. I shoot alot of outdoors, and I don't like carring a bag or backpack. As for how other people think I look, that doesn't bother me. I'm not the model, I'm the photographer.

5. jtice

jtice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. dbyrd

dbyrd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I use one when I am traveling and doing zoo safaris. It is quite handy for easy access to supplies. I would not pay attention to what anyone says on Model Mayhem, half of the posters there are idiots trying to start fights!