Photoshop

Zachery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've just bought Photoshop Elements 8, and I wondered if there was a book that could help me understand it! I'm absolutely useless when it comes to computers, so it would have to be a book written for idiots like me! Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

Z

It's worth taking a search on youtube too, there's lots of instructional videos (mostly home-made, so the quality runs the full range!)

+1 and +1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Looks, like you're all set there Zachery!

Advice: As long as you keep telling yourself "I'm absolutely useless when it comes to computers" and "idiots like me!" it's a self fullfilling prophecy because you give yourself a ready excuse for failure. You are also set up to put the responsibilty on someone else, to figure it all out and then spoon feed you the answers. See my siggy.

Or as Yoda said, "There is do, or not do, there is no try".

+1 and +1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Advice: As long as you keep telling yourself "I'm absolutely useless when it comes to computers" and "idiots like me!" it's a self fullfilling prophecy because you give yourself a ready excuse for failure. You are also set up to put the responsibilty on someone else, to figure it all out and then spoon feed you the answers. See my siggy.

Well, thanks for those great words of wisdom. That's really helpful....

It's worth taking a search on youtube too, there's lots of instructional videos (mostly home-made, so the quality runs the full range!)

I'll certainly take a look on youtube. Thanks for your advice.

Z

[FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS SERIF]Adobe Photoshop is hands down, the most popular program for creating and modifying images for the web. [/FONT]It is the current market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation software, and is the flagship product of Adobe Systems. It has been described as "an industry standard for graphics professionals

no WAY!!

Hi, I've just bought Photoshop Elements 8, and I wondered if there was a book that could help me understand it! I'm absolutely useless when it comes to computers, so it would have to be a book written for idiots like me! Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

Z

+1 and +1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Well, thanks for those great words of wisdom. That's really helpful....

So, are you saying you didn't really mean this? :
Any advice would be most welcome.

KMH, why don't you just get a life? I'm sure a smart guy like you has got better things to do, like digging holes and filling them in again! And don't bother replying to this because I'm not going to get into a discussion with a loser!

KmH actually gave you good advice and did it nicely. He didn't get all snarky and sarcastic with, "here let me Google that for you" or "wow, I'm so glad that there are forums like this where you can ask people to do your research for you instead of doing a basic search on your own".

There was no name calling. No personal attacks. There was only advice given.

You responded with name calling and a personal attack. That doesn't make you look the best in an established community like TPF where you're completely new and people haven't formed an opinion of you yet. Most folks here HAVE formed an opinion of KmH, however, and acting like you are isn't likely to get many folks on your side.

Again, this is just a bit of friendly advice.

Well, Pugs, I'm sorry if you think my reply was over the top. But it's pretty obvious that the guy was trying to be smart. When I used the word 'idiot' referring to my lack of computer skills, I only said it to make it clear that I need a book for a complete beginner. I wasn't actually trying to say that I think I'm an idiot. There is a series of of books out there with the title ....For Dummies. I don't think the authors actually believe that the folks buying these books are stupid. Using words like [idiot' 'dummies' in a title lets you know who exactly it's pitched for. I was being self-deprecating, but that doesn't mean that I needed a condescending lecture on homespun self-help psychology! And you may have noticed that I thanked all the other people who responded to my query.

Z

His advice was fine, and to be honest even if it didn't fit for you, it is something that a lot of people need to remember.

If a person goes into something with a ready made excuse for failure (this can be in anything from computers and software to asking a girl on a date to cooking) when anything bad happens or if they have the slightest bit of difficulty they tend to give up. They tend to do this because they went into it knowing they might fail, so seeing themselves start to fail they are like, I knew it was going to happen.

This happens ALL OF THE TIME so it is not surprising KmH would assume that might happen to you. It was just a bit of advice and calling a person a "loser" because they gave reasonable (though perhaps not applicable to you) advice generally shows immaturity.

In that case, Nate, there shouldn't even be a beginners forum on this group, because if you ask for advice you're given a sarcastic homespun philosophy lecture from somebody. Don't know why you want to stand up for the guy, because it's pretty obvious that he was just trying to be provocative.

look at his siggy, he was basically saying again what he says in his siggy.
"If you think you can, or think you can't you're right" It's talking about the self-fulfilling prophecy, and I have seen many times how often self-fulfilling prophecy holds true.

Maybe you don't find it to be applicable to you this is fine. Don't worry about it. It was NOT a personal attack it was a suggestion, which you don't have to take.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back