Please help I got a few questions?

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife and I have been dabbling in photography now for a few years. Weve been sharing one camera and I think its time to start taking our hobby to the next level. We got our tax returns back and are ready to spend the mother load on new equipment. Everything from backdrops to studio lighting.

So heres my list of things to get, perhaps some of you more experienced photographers can point me in the right direction on either what products to start looking into or at least on how much we should spend. FYI We plan on eventually pursuing weddings and family portraits.

1. A good Cannon body.
2. 2 lenses
3. A set of light kits that can do both, back drops and regular indoor portraits.
4. And finally a decent flash

Feel free to chime in a remind me of the stuff I may be forgetting. :) And any help would be greatly appreciated.

What camera / lenses do you currently own?
What is your budget? Motherload for me can be different than motherload for you.

If you plan on pursuing weddings and such, you are going to need top quality lenses (more than a top quality camera).

With no budget, I'd look at
Canon 5D Mark II - $2700

Lens options:
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - $1700
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L - $1300
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS - $1000
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L - $1500

You can also look at some third party lenses such as Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - $500

For a flash, look at the Canon 580EX.
Instead of studio lights, you can always get a few 580EX with some Pocket Wizard triggers and use those. Can be used in studio or on location.

Umbrellas, softboxes, reflectors and other light gear
Battery grip, extra batteries. I hear a few wedding photogs like Stroboframes to mount their flashes on

What camera / lenses do you currently own?
With no budget, I'd look at
Canon 5D Mark II - $2700

Lens options:

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L - $1300

For a flash, look at the Canon 580EX.
Instead of studio lights, you can always get a few 580EX with some Pocket Wizard triggers and use those. Can be used in studio or on location.

Umbrellas, softboxes, reflectors and other light gear
Battery grip, extra batteries.

:thumbup: And maybe the Sigma 50mm 1.4,.. plus a decent computer and software if you do not already have them. A lot of wedding photogs like using Lightroom for batch editing with CS3 or 4

Looks like Im in trouble. I got about $3500 to spend. :confused:

Yup, forgot to mention that you should have two camera bodies for weddings. You could be sued if something happens to your camera and you do not have a backup.

This things $150

EX91104.jpg

MT 110 Strobe Light
78inch 3-Section
Light Stand
24x24 Soft Box with Metal Ring

If I got two of those would my light kit be complete, I think I would still need some sort of remote flash doohickey! AKA Probably pocket wizard triggers.

Please keep pointing me in the right directrion, I do appreciate all the help and will probably have many more questions b4 I make these purchases.

Yup, forgot to mention that you should have two camera bodies for weddings. You could be sued if something happens to your camera and you do not have a backup.

I have my original older camera that I can use for a back up. Weve done some friends weddings and low budget jobs with it.

Rumdaddy, personally if I had a budget of $3,500 and wanted to get into wedding photography eventually, I would start with the Canon 5DII, and then save for the 24-70mm f/2.8L. I would also get a website from someone like PhotoBiz in the meantime for other portraits and etc. (for client proofing and all that other good stuff).

Being on a budget, I would do a Google search for DIY photography, and put together as much as I could myself. I've seen plenty of DIY backdrops and light stands that look like they were proffesionally made.

While I was getting all of that done, I would also be looking into what kind of contracts, insurance, and etc. that I might need. I would also find a good print lab like Millers, and an album maker like Kiss Books for example.

That is just what I would do, I'm sure there will be plenty of people with other opinions.

Last edited:
Not sure what your experence is but I would recomend putting that money in a savings account and taking some classes before spending it all on gear.

There are lots of courses taught by working pros in your area that can give you plenty of insite into the business.

This may also let you know if weddings is something you want to do. Some people are just not cut out for it. You may find yourseld better suited for other types of photography.

If you plan on pursuing wedding photography in the future, then there is no need to get ALL that right now.

I'd invest more in the lenses that in the body at this point. If you get the 5D MkII and you start doing weddings 5 years from now, the 5D MkII will have been replaced a few times over. Quality professional lenses will not.

I think the suggestion of taking classes is a great one. Not only can you learn, but you can make some great contacts in your area. You will need a camera to take classes with though :)

I would start with a cheaper body and some nice glass. Maybe a Canon 50D. Its a very capable camera. I think the body will run around $1200 or so. Maybe get a used one from Craigslist or ebay (from someone who is upgrading) or even look for a used 40D to start with, should be a few hundred cheaper.

Then get the good glass and accessories you will need (grip, extra battery, memory cardsss, bag, tripod,...)
I'd probably start with the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8.

The one thing to keep in mind when buying the lenses for a 40/50D is that the camera has a smaller sensor than the full frame 5D and 1D line. So some lenses will ONLY work on the 40/50D - these are typically listed as EF-S lenses. So if you plan on going full frame and doing weddings, keep in mind that EF-S lenses will not be re-usable.

But when you are at that point, you can keep your 40/50D as a backup body to your 5D or whatever else is out on the market.

I know some great wedding photographers that use third party lenses and mid range cameras. Bigger is better, but not always necessary.

So Can expect to spend around $3000 on a decent camera and "one" lense. Plus $300 for a decent flash. Im also going to need a light kit.

$3300 total.

How much should I except to spend on a light kit to get by with?

Then Im going to need
Tripod
baterry grip
camera bracket
extra battery

So Can expect to spend around $3000 on a decent camera and "one" lense. Plus $300 for a decent flash. Im also going to need a light kit.

$3300 total.

How much should I except to spend on a light kit to get by with?

Then Im going to need
Tripod
baterry grip
camera bracket
extra battery

With wedding photography, you are going to need a camera body that is capable of handling very high ISO speeds with very little visible noise because some churches do not allow flash during the ceremony. I'm not sure where you could find a comparison between the 5DII and the 50D regarding high ISO speeds, but I know of at least one wedding photog on another site (that is wedding photography "centered") who is really regretting his 50D purchase now due to that issue.

How high of a iso speed do you need for churches?

I'd love to see some of your work.

I think the 50D goes up to 1600 ISO with a Hi ISO of 3200, 6400 and a Hi2 ISO of 12800. (I'm not really sure about the difference between regular ISO, Hi and Hi2)

The 5D MkII goes up to 6400 ISO, a Hi ISO of 12800 and 25600.

So yes, the 5D MkII goes much higher in ISO. I know people with the camera who routinely shoot at 1600 and 3200 and get great images where I am struggling with my XSI to get something workable at 1600. I would think shooting at 3200 would be key for low light photography, specially if you have f/2.8 glass.

With no budget in mind, definatly get the 5D MkII. But its $2700 instead of $1100 for the 50D.

The 5D MkII is a much better camera, hands down. My point is that there is ALOT to learn about doing photography and wedding photography and by the time one is ready to jump into the wedding photography ring, the 5D MkII might have been replaced.

I have been taking classes for almost a year and I am not comfortable shooting weddings. I have working on assisting and being a second shooter for a few this summer to get some hands on experience. So going to a few workshops will not make a wedding photographer IMO. At least, not a pro. I'm working my way doing smaller events, headshots and so on, for which my current camera, an XSI, suits me ok.

$1100 for the body, say $1500 for a good lens, that leaves you with $1000. You can get a 580EX II flash unit for about $350. That leaves $650. You dont NEED a tripod, or a grip. They are both great to have, and if you are doing landscapes and night shots, a tripod then becomes a must. So bag ($75), mem cards ($75), battery ($60), stroboframe thing ($60) for a total of $270 leaves you with $380 for a light kit, which I'm not sure is workable.

Ways to save could be getting a cheaper / used camera body
Get a cheaper high quality lens and work with what you have (24-70 over 70-200)
Get a third party lens like Tamron or Sigma (will affect image quality, focus speed and such)
Save for longer
Don't get a light kit now

Most reactions

New Topics

Back