Please recommend a computer for photo editing

For lightroom you also need a fast HD or SSD.
Don't get me wrong but a SSD will be faster. Platter drives are not in the same league but most performance when rendering photos comes from a good processor with high L3 cache

Yea your lightroom files are fine on a regular hard drive, but your operating system will definitely benifit from running off a SSD

wow people, one thing for sure Steve Jobs is a better marketer than bill gates or microsoft, if 20 years later people still think Macs out perform pc's. Windows 7 premiered with a slight fever but the ipad is already back ordered into the thousands. Just an oberservation for what its worth. Actually I thought the thread was dying so I thought I'd liven it up again. lol

Steve capitalized on Microsoft's mis-steps.... (Mr Remote's "DO NOT BUY VISTA" statement is an example)

Steve also did another thing differently than Microsoft. He kept Apple's innovations focused not only on software but (more importantly) hardware. Bad products by third party vendors running Microsoft Windows is indirectly a reflection to Microsoft's image.

Some might see the proprietary hardware a PITA (it can be at times) but this means things work to Steve's standards not to the standards of third party vendors.
I know this is an old thread but Apple does not make 1 stick of hardware in their machines. All your buying is their OS and software. Win7 and software now a day makes Apple overpriced crap

No. Price a notebook with the same specs. It'll be the same if not more. If you go more bare bones, you can get more performance for the dollar, but you lose out on other things.

Not to mention at my job we just got in 7 Dell AIO computers to install for a client and there was a visible gap on one side of the bezel between the screen but not the other. That's on all of them. They're just not of the same quality. I spent several hours the other day trying to get all the drivers for an emachine laptop because I had no idea what was in it. If it were an Apple notebook, that would have been a non-issue and saved me a good chunk of time.

Use what works for you.
Have no idea what your talking about, win7 installs all drivers. Laptops have drivers pre installed on them

No it doesn't. Just yesterday I had to do fresh reinstalls on three customer computers. Network drivers weren't installed on any of them. Next I had to get the correct video drivers and not the default installed drivers. A laptop may have perinstalled drivers but when it's been five or six years and its a crap laptop, good luck finding them. I also had to install an X-ray sensor, x-Ray scanner, and dental camera yesterday morning. Guess what? No drivers.

Everyone is in a pissing contest over Mac vs PC and what hardware you need. But everyone but one person is forgetting something VERY important. The MONITOR that you LOOK AT. If the monitor is screwy, your prints won't match your screen and that's pretty dang important.

From what I've learned, there are things you need to look for in a monitor. Resolution is meh, not the biggest thing.

Taken from Damien Symond's website (and he knows what he's talking about) and paraphrased:

Panel type, go for IPS over TN. TN screens tend to look lighter or darker depending on how you're looking at it, whereas IPS is the same no matter what angle you're looking from. Color representation is fantastic. Probably can't find one in stores, best to look online.

Get a matte screen. Gloss is no good, reflections are bad and a pain in the butt to look at.

So basically. Get a monitor with an IPS and matte screen. Better to go small with excellent quality than get a huge screen with meh quality.

Lots of recommendations here
Monitor recommendations

I have a Walmart gateway PC. Single core 3.5 ghz, 6 gigs DDR3 ram, some BS on board video crap and it runs adobe CC juuuuust fine. LR and PS.
I added a Nvidea 2gig video card for gaming recently, but haven't noticed any photo editing differences.

I also have a 27" ips monitor.

Even though this is a zombie thread, this works very nicely for me:

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display with the following configuration:

• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
• 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
• 3TB Fusion Drive
• AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB G

Glossy screen isn't all that big a deal if you are using either an editing hood or position the lights properly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back